Author Topic: How To Interpret?  (Read 1019 times)

Offline Silversword

• --Stan Y.
  • Forecaster
    • Up Country Maui Weather
How To Interpret?
« on: May 21, 2014, 05:40:02 PM »
Hi All,

I am trying to tweak my system and was just looking at the Live Signal but I really don't know what I am looking at or how to interpret what is there?  Attached is a sample.

Any suggestions that I need to address?

Thanks for any recommendations.

Regards,

--Stan Y.
   KH6HHG
   Maui, Hawaii
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 05:42:45 PM by Silversword »
Stan Y. - KH6HHG - Maui, Hawaii
 --- Blitzortung ID: 993
 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-PHOG1

WDL 6.05
MS Windows 7 Pro
Dell Optiplex GX280-Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz, 4 GB RAM
Davis Vantage Pro 2+ Wireless
Webcam: Axis 211

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Re: How To Interpret?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 06:43:47 PM »
I might kick off the 'learning' and 'tuning' process like this:
Put the system in 'manual', potentiometer off, save settings. Turn off any 'amplitude' or 'noise floor' filtering... save settings. Information is those filters are generally for folks with 'constant' noise or interference. I don't have that consistency, and doubt if you do.
If there's no lightning within say 200 miles, I might bring gains up to 8x8, and if go into interference bring thresholds up in 10 unit increments. Remember, the 'thresholds' have little to do with noise... but with signal strength and triggering point... they kick in with signals coming rapidly, to prevent overloading the server with a lot of fast signals.  I normally run a noise floor of 40-60 mv, and a gain of 10x10 in B channel, usually 8x8 in A channel due to interference. B channel threshold is normally 100-120mv depending, and A channel almost always needs to be 120.
If you're pulling strokes from central US once in awhile with those low gain settings, you'll do well.  You may or may not show strikes there in the Pacific, since you're by your lonesome for now, until some other stations come online. If 3 or four of the Oceania folks really stepped up gain, ditto for our West Coast folks, they'll supply the needed curves in addition to yours, to show The Islands getting zapped...

Play with it Stan... doubt if you can break it unless you use a hammer on it... See how high you can 'gain' it and stay out of interference, for now... as the net grows you'll find you'll want to back down... for now, though, I think you need to see yourself getting signals, since odds are few if any local strikes will show up for you. They'll come... just find a few buddies to 'station up' in the Islands.
Mike
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 06:45:34 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 10:29:37 AM »
Why not leave it in automatic mode?

Right now, I'm seeing 16*4*40 and 10*8*40, noise is at 60mvpp, trigger is at 86 and 92.

I don't go into interference mode very often from what I've watched.  But it seems like my auto amplification is typically showing higher than what most are posting on here in manual mode.

Just trying to see if I should be tweaking or leave well enough alone.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline Silversword

• --Stan Y.
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 06:25:44 PM »
Hi,

Thanks Mike for the info and 99merc on the settings.

I would like to see what happens with my system with the max sensitivity that I can have and see what happens.  Then back down from there if I get too much noise or other interferences.

What would be the settings to accomplish this and how do I do it in the Setup section of the Controller?

As a novice with this system I still don't know my way around on how to put it into Manual mode and back to Automatic mode.

Any tutoring will be very much appreciated.

Regards,

--Stan Y.
   KH6HHG
   Maui, Hawaii

WDL 6.05
MS Windows 7 Pro

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 07:38:31 PM »
Hey Stan...
On the settings page, select 'manual', and hit apply. Leave your system in manual. The server 'automatic' is basically experimental and not ready for prime time, as far as I know.

Every time you change a setting group, there's an 'apply' button. You need to click it for each group each time you change something. A warning at the top of the page will tell you that some settings have not been written to memory.  You'll lose them in case of a reboot.  That's cool, for temporary changes later for specific times, when you don't want to write over your 'default' settings you've worked hard to figure out. They will not change unless you do a complete 'factory' reset over on the "tools" page, or save over it later yourself.

So hit 'save now' in that warning so 'manual' will become your default mode.

Each one of the "I" symbols has a mouseover popup info... some will be confusing. That's part of the fun. Don't worry about it for now.

TRACKER... leave the top two boxes unchecked. you may use them later, but let's first find out if you need to. see my previous post a few up...
Don't change any of the sampling rates.
Change 'ignore signals' to 10%
Hit apply.

NETWORK and WEB INTERFACE... you're sending, and you can access your controller in the browser?  If so, leave these the way you have them.

GPS set to highest baud setting... 115200
leave all boxes unchecked.
Hit apply.

AMPLIFIER 1
uncheck 'enable potentiomenter
Your gain settings.... I'd start both channels at 10x10
Threshold   I'd start both channels at about 100

make sure "don't send" has no checkmarks.
Hit Apply

Look down at the rest of the settings page, ...
make sure no check marks in "force all channels on"
and "Alternate channel mapping" (you may want to use that if you acquire a 2nd amp for example an E field.  Meantime, both should be unchecked.
No check mark in "enable user input"
Don't change any settings in the A/D converter except to remove those check marks, if they're there. 

Hit Apply.

BUZZER.. I've got all checked, with 10 second delay...

LCD  defaults are ok here, but I keep mine turned off. Sometimes the LCD can cause noise, but I think that's pretty well eliminated in the latest boards.

SYSTEM  Voltage check and 'flash prefetch' are only two items to check in both panels under system. 
Daily Reboot 00:00 for "never"
I2C speed irrelevant unless you've attached an AS3935...

Rest of the stuff, don't even worry about for now.
Did you hit 'apply' after every change in a group? :lol:

Part of the secret is to take your loops, and align one perpendicular to N/S line, with the other on E/W,..
Now if you've got a lot of noise pulses coming in on, say, Red (A Channel) and it's the N/S antenna, you'll know the source is north or south. A little experimentation will help.

:twisted: I've put you up a temporary page to view the signals at the server for your station... it will show basic parameters you've set, plus other data.
http://ourspecial.net/twinhollies/weathercenter/blitz/sysigs/index.html

a "101" means a good signal used by the server.
a 100 means signal not used.
A Vertical red line shows approximately where the trigger recognition occurs when the "Group" arrives. Further to the left, is good...  If all the way at right margin, that signal not used.
This page calls a new image every 2.5seconds, if one available, so it obviously doesn't show all your signals.
Mouseover the 'direction indication' button, and you'll find something to play with for awhile.

This'll get you kick started,. Have fun.. (not proof read)
Mike

Offline Silversword

• --Stan Y.
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 12:37:40 PM »
Hi,

Thanks Mike for the info.  I was able to play around with the manual mode.  I set the Amplifier 1 threshold to 90 just to see what it would do and left it on all night.  But the system went into interference mode. I'll be gone for the rest of the day so I put it back to Automatic Mode for now and maybe this weekend play around with it more.

Thanks again for the Step by Step instructions as to where to start.

Regards,

--Stan Y.
   KH6HHG
   Maui, Hawaii

WDL 6.05
MS Windows 7 Pro