Author Topic: Network in Action! NEW  (Read 7260 times)

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Network in Action! NEW
« on: May 09, 2014, 05:10:09 PM »
BLITZORTUNG Network
 NEW Beta Test Real Time Lightning Mapping
http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime?lang=en
 This will really show how the Net Clicks!  Especially this afternoon!
From Tobi: All strokes in last 60 minutes in all world network regions. New ones added almost in real time — delay is up to 5 seconds! The best results can be seen in Central Europe due to the high station density.
 Please note that this is a very first beta version! There's still some work to do. We can not guarantee for anything!

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
Re: Network in Action! NEW
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 05:12:38 PM »
It's really weird how once in awhile it will flag a flash, and then 'pull' the marker as location becomes more defined as more stations log it... Wild.

Example Video recorded 5/9/2014 Click pic, or use http://www.ourspecialnet.com/Weather/TwinHollies/i-gzjCJMN
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 06:04:44 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 06:08:39 PM »
I like it!!!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ =D> =D> =D>

Thank you, Tobi!!!!

Most folks don't realize that to get lightning data like this in near real time from Viasala/USLPN would cost a fortune, or for that matter from Strikestar when you own a Boltek.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 06:16:17 PM by sacreyweather »
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 06:13:28 PM »

Thank you, Tobi!!!!
I agree.  This is phenomenal!

Interestingly, while the Texas Gulf Coast is getting hammered right now, the Texas stations' participation is minimal in the strikes my station is picking up.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline JonathanW

• Engineer
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 07:16:09 PM »

Thank you, Tobi!!!!

Most folks don't realize that to get lightning data like this in near real time from Viasala/USLPN would cost a fortune, or for that matter from Strikestar when you own a Boltek.

Yep - last I checked, it was >$90/mo subscription PLUS some sort of startup fee.

As an engineer, I'm very excited about where the Blitzortung system is going.  I have a feeling this is just the start--there are threads at the internal Blitzortung forum discussing VHF interferometry.  That's the sort of thing that allows you to capture branching cloud-to-cloud lightning, and the Vaisala systems that do it generally run $20,000 or more.  Captive market :)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 07:18:46 PM by n0ym »

Offline JonathanW

• Engineer
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 07:22:31 PM »
On a related note, it would be really nice to serve up the raw lightning data via some sort of push or streaming.

My immediate goal is to create rapid-update lightning placefiles for GR2Analyst.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 03:46:24 PM »
Try the "Stations On" mode, it shows lines to which stations participated in the strike detection. This is too cool!  8)

Greg

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
    • Sleeping Saguaros Weather  Mesa, AZ
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 03:57:42 PM »
Try the "Stations On" mode, it shows lines to which stations participated in the strike detection. This is too cool!  8)

Greg
I agree!  It's amazing to just sit and watch the strikes roll in and see which stations participate, for instance seeing a strike down in the gulf off of LA and watching stations in WI and IL light up, or this one where stations out west of the Rockies were involved:
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline JonathanW

• Engineer
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 04:17:50 PM »

Greg

Oh, wow!

That really brings home how good the network has to be to be able to quickly locate multiple simultaneous flashes.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 05:12:49 PM by n0ym »

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 05:32:30 PM »
That is way cool!!!!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ Awesome job, Tobi!!!!
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline scarecrow93

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 06:14:28 PM »
Awesome job Tobi!!!

Its a work of art watching the higher station density midwest work the storms in MO right now.

~Lance
#724 - Owings, MD
~Lance
#724 - Huntingtown, MD(Aug 2013 - Feb 2014)
Owings, MD(Feb 2014 - Feb 2015)
Annapolis, MD(Late Feb 2015)

Offline JonathanW

• Engineer
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 06:26:04 PM »
This also points out the ongoing need for more station density.  Big strikes are pretty clearly picked up by stations across the country, but I'd bet there are lots of little ones that simply don't get picked up where there's more sparse coverage.

Bring your friends, bring your family....

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 06:28:46 PM »
What's cool is when a stroke is also detected by our west coast stations... getting a stroke across those mountain ranges, at that distance...
then the maps 'lines up' across the whole continent...

Can you imagine what it'll be like during real widespread intense storms?  Sheesh!

Offline JonathanW

• Engineer
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 06:36:36 PM »
If you zoom in all the way, you can also see circles that, I assume, represent some standard deviation(s) of error in strike placement.

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 06:37:15 PM »
This also points out the ongoing need for more station density.  Big strikes are pretty clearly picked up by stations across the country, but I'd bet there are lots of little ones that simply don't get picked up where there's more sparse coverage.

Yeah... nobody can detect 'em all during intense situations... E-field may help with some of that, still we can only individually process so many at a time. One big reason a network of stations 50-200 miles apart is a goal... closer together is super cool. Can't see a signal if we're swamped with other sferics and local noise! Then there's Cutty's "Thor's Hamma Slamma Jamma" theory... :twisted:

Offline JonathanW

• Engineer
  • Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2014, 06:44:34 PM »

Yeah... nobody can detect 'em all during intense situations... E-field may help with some of that, still we can only individually process so many at a time. One big reason a network of stations 50-200 miles apart is a goal... closer together is super cool. Can't see a signal if we're swamped with other sferics and local noise! Then there's Cutty's "Thor's Hamma Slamma Jamma" theory... :twisted:

It looks like that theory might apply to northern Missouri this evening.

Out of curiosity, does the network run a server stateside, or are they all in Europe?

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2014, 06:57:07 PM »
Amazingly cool! Fun watching the line west of Chicago....

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2014, 07:31:35 PM »
Didn't notice the "stations" feature before - really cool.

Now all that is needed is a webcam on the ISS to watch the flashes from space at night.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2014, 10:47:47 PM »
As far as I can tell, even if you are in Region 3, the server that is pointed to is in Germany.

But this brings up a concern I had last  year and didn't get any comments.

This is a hobby for us, and of course the developers.  I can't imagine the amount of time in design and production and setting up servers, say nothing about educating themselves about lightning and how to detect it.

On the other hand, there are a lot of contributors out there already, and if, don't jinx it now, if something strange would happen (accident, heart attack, etc), the system would be dead in the water.

I'm wondering if we could find a suitable situation where a server could be set up here, in the US?  Obviously Egon would have the control, but unless he's tweaking code frequently, to upload stuff to him in Germany for EVERY noise and strike seems a bit of a waste, even in this era of ridiculously cheap internet across oceans.  And those data could be sent packaged to him from the US.  And if someone tripped over the cord in his office, this part of the system would stay up.  If he and the rest got bored before we do, as long as the servers kept running, we'd still have this to play with.  No further development nor bug fixes, but when he gets caught up on all the new stuff and fun things they have figured out, I wonder if they should be approached about having a 'remote' server here in the US.

By the way, I'm very pleased to see the enthusiasm for what the latest real-time mapping has brought to our computers.  Indeed there was a time I was toying with robbing a bank and buying a month's worth of lightning subscription from Weather Tap just to have the high resolution.  And a friend who worked for a major power distributorship had contacts within the company with such a subscription and they could determine, to some degree, which pole was hit or within a stretch of poles.

To have this system is an incredible toy and to me, who has dreamed of this network for over a decade but having neither the smarts nor organization to create it, am very pleased someone else does and I can be a small part.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline JonathanW

• Engineer
  • Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2014, 11:04:18 PM »
Dale,
I know what you mean about waiting for a network like this.   For a long time,  the three things I really wanted in terms of weather data were near real-time,  high resolution nexrad data,  lightning data,  and model data.   

A NOAAPORT  link would help with some of that,  but mostly I just had to wait for bandwidth and availability.   Nice that both are here now.

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2014, 11:09:30 PM »
I sold a Boltek because I was wanting this type of network. I wish they could have put one together. I suppose it would be too much to ask if the Bolteks with GPS could send data to this network. Probably different data formats or something.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2014, 11:13:55 PM »
Gawd, this thing is now worse than a lava lamp.

I was out working all day blocking up trees and moving dirt, and after a relaxing shower and a little Cutty Sark, find it almost impossible to turn that display off.  Anyone know if it is a drag on resources to leave it on and watch?

Damn you Tobi.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
    • Sleeping Saguaros Weather  Mesa, AZ
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2014, 11:19:14 PM »
Dale I felt the same way earlier. I had to tear myself away from the computer so I could get ready for movie night with my girlfriend. Guess I'll be staying up late when I get home...
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2014, 11:25:40 PM »
Kevin,
well, the storms began to quiet down a bit.  Hate to wish for Tstorms that might hail or worse on someone. 

With our weather luck, having been given this gift, we'll have few storms this season.  But here's hoping. 

And I'm wondering what the E-field antennas coming on line in the next few weeks will bring.

Enjoy.  Hope you saw a good movie.

Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2014, 12:32:09 AM »
Anybody note a station in Europe  :shock: hitting infrequently on those Missouri cells last night?  :twisted:
Click Pic to play...
Hint: there's at least one in this recording from last evening... 

I'm pretty sure Tobias knows about it... :grin:

Mike

anything