Author Topic: Hope everyone is ok...Wash your hands.  (Read 57854 times)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Hope everyone is ok...Wash your hands.
« Reply #200 on: March 24, 2020, 04:33:37 PM »
A very appropriate quote:  "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."  America Strong,
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #201 on: March 24, 2020, 05:09:10 PM »
And the longer the US stays out of work and the economy continues on the road to depression, not just recession, which could last for years, the more the rest of the planet will feel the effects as well. As ironic as this saying is right now, it's certainly applies..."America sneezes and the rest of the world catches a cold."

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #202 on: March 24, 2020, 05:29:55 PM »
I disagree. If someone is sick, drinking a little bit of tonic water could help them immensely.

That doesn't compute. The two drugs that are being talked about as potential anticoronaviral agents are chloroquine and its hydroxy analogue. While quinine also has a quinoline ring (ie in common with the other two) the rest of the molecule's structure is very significantly different and so almost certainly has markedly different therapeutic properties. But even if they were all comparable, there's apparently about 80mg/l of quinine in tonic water so you'd need to drink around 5-10l for one dose - that's a strange definition of 'a little bit'! And that's just for one single dose. However, if you were to stand out in bright sunlight after several doses I'm pretty sure that you'd fluoresce like mad, (but can't remember whether it's blue or green). And maybe we shouldn't mention the haemorragic and cardiotoxic side-effects of quinine  :shock:

So, agreed, a small glass of tonic water is unlikely to do a patient much harm. But equally it's most unlikely to have any antiviral effect (assuming activity comparable to the antimalarial effect) - the dose would be much too small even if it did have antiviral activity.

NB https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/52012242 (hope that's accessible outside the UK?)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 05:54:25 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #203 on: March 24, 2020, 05:50:51 PM »
GM, Ford, and Tesla offer to make ventilators to help deal with the pandemic. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8133245/GM-Ford-Elon-Musk-offer-make-ventilators-faces-shortage-amid-coronavirus-crisis.html

VW and Audi change their logos in the spirit of social distancing. https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/audi-and-vw-revise-logos-to-promote-social-distancing/ar-BB11DMtP

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

What are GM, Ford and Tesla thinking? Don't they know they have to have their plants open and have people come to work to make ventilators?

VW and Audi are more responsible, logos make a profound statement and can be designed on computers at home.

:lol:

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #204 on: March 24, 2020, 05:58:34 PM »
GM, Ford, and Tesla offer to make ventilators to help deal with the pandemic. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8133245/GM-Ford-Elon-Musk-offer-make-ventilators-faces-shortage-amid-coronavirus-crisis.html

Reminiscent of WWII when it was GMC (I think) that was converted into making tanks. Least we forget, the Allies won that war as well.

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #205 on: March 24, 2020, 06:04:09 PM »
Least we forget, the Allies won that war as well.
Yeah, but we'll never know what would have happened if the Axis had stayed home and redesigned logos on things like the "people's car".

:-)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 06:29:07 PM by SnowHiker »

Offline ambientweather

• Contributor
    • Ambient Weather
« Reply #206 on: March 24, 2020, 07:41:19 PM »
We added a COVID-19 layer to our interactive weather map.

www.AmbientWeather.net

Stay safe out there.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #207 on: March 24, 2020, 08:34:17 PM »
"America sneezes and the rest of the world catches a cold."
that has not been the case for a few years now, as China has stepped up for trade etc in its place (and China is now recovering from this virus and are getting back to work after a 2 month  brutal lock down )

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #208 on: March 24, 2020, 08:42:25 PM »
China has stepped up for trade etc in its place
And I've preached for several years..every day..to those who'll listen..to make that go away. Can't be fast enough. ](*,)

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #209 on: March 24, 2020, 09:27:38 PM »
that has not been the case for a few years now, as China has stepped up for trade etc in its place (and China is now recovering from this virus and are getting back to work after a 2 month  brutal lock down )
Oh, so that's what you have against Trump!  He's trying to get away from being reliant on the communist regime that you love and look up to!  Now I understand.  If only the US would handle the virus in the same thoroughly competent way China did.  :shock:  :roll:

Well, maybe I still don't fully understand why you have such strong feelings about what Trump is doing or saying as it doesn't affect you.  After all I don't even have a clue about what your president, prime minister, chief, or whatever is doing; or even what his/her/its name is because it really doesn't affect me.  nz sneezes and no one even hears.  :-(
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 09:55:18 PM by SnowHiker »

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #210 on: March 25, 2020, 01:37:14 AM »
In Oklahoma, the governor ordered the closure of "non-essential businesses" in the 19  of 77 counties with confirmed positive cases of COVID-19 for 21 days.  "Non-essential businesses" are defined by federal CDC guidelines.  The governor is also restricting all gatherings to 10 people or less throughout the state. In addition he’s issuing a 14-day suspension of all elective surgeries, minor medical procedures and non emergency dental procedures.  The state will immediately suspend all visitation to nursing home and long-term care facilities.   The number of CODVID-19 cases climbed to 109 on Tuesday, but because of a shortage of testing supplies and few tests being administered, the governor said he believes the actual number is closer to 500. The state expects that many 1000s more tests will be made available at the end of the week.  Three cases in my county.   
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 01:51:25 AM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #211 on: March 25, 2020, 03:26:04 AM »
@SnowHiker   I care about what Trump is doing and his policies because I have a lot of friends in the USA that I am concerned about
stay safe everyone and everyone work together
(I did live in the USA for a year as an exchange student once)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 03:27:47 AM by waiukuweather »

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #212 on: March 25, 2020, 04:14:23 AM »
...stay safe everyone...
You too.  I hope everyone got a chance to give all their friends and acquaintances hugs and kisses before you went into lock-down since you may not see them for awhile. (Well, at least got to wave goodbye from at least 6 feet apart.  :-))

...and everyone work together...
Can we work together when we're being social at a distance?

Anyway, make the best use of your lock-down however you can.  :-)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #213 on: March 25, 2020, 04:45:23 AM »
Health dept. out of California reported the first death of a child COVID-19 was a 17-year-old boy.

Meanwhile locally we had a cruise night. Noticed cars full of teenagers having a good time and didn't really look like social distancing. The local Frosty looked like a scene straight out of American Graffiti with carhops jam-packed.
Randy

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #214 on: March 25, 2020, 04:52:18 AM »
Health dept. out of California reported the first death of a child COVID-19 was a 17-year-old boy.

Has that been confirmed?

March 25, 2020 at 1:35 AM CDT - Updated March 25 at 1:35 AM

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Los Angeles County health officials backtracked Tuesday on their announcement that a child died from coronavirus, saying it’s possible the death was caused by something else.

During their daily briefing, the county health department said the unidentified child from the city of Lancaster was among four new deaths.

Hours later, after Gov. Gavin Newsom had cited the death of the teenager as evidence the virus can strike anyone, the county issued a new statement.

“Though early tests indicated a positive result for COVID-19, the case is complex and there may be an alternate explanation for this fatality" and the case will need evaluation by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the statement said.
https://www.kswo.com/2020/03/25/boy-with-coronavirus-dies-cases-surge-california/

In any case they and their parents need to be taking things more seriously.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #215 on: March 25, 2020, 05:39:39 AM »
Nice!  I live smack dab in the middle of 389.....  #-o

www.AmbientWeather.net

Stay safe out there.

WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #216 on: March 25, 2020, 06:01:00 AM »
Nice!  I live smack dab in the middle of 389.....  #-o

www.AmbientWeather.net

Stay safe out there.

If you must go into the public please wear a mask. This virus can be airborne in low humidity suspending for up to 3-hours so social distancing may not be sufficient. (official study) You can look at the Asian countries nobody is in public without a mask. It protects everyone the filter prevents spread going both ways.
The fact we are not doing the same nationally is our biggest mistake IMO of stopping this. But then again not enough mask available.  ](*,)
Randy

Offline catdon

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #217 on: March 25, 2020, 10:24:12 AM »
It's just hard to believe that we're going thru such a global pandemic in 2020...This is something that we thought couldn't happen again...A century ago yes but not now....scary.
Don
Staten Island, NY

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #218 on: March 25, 2020, 10:36:19 AM »
It's just hard to believe that we're going thru such a global pandemic in 2020...This is something that we thought couldn't happen again...A century ago yes but not now....scary.

It can happen, when you have mad scientists messing with things that they should let alone, and also when people are doing things with bats that is disgusting. ( I will not relay what I saw about that) These things can happen with bio weapons as well.

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #219 on: March 25, 2020, 10:44:19 AM »
Well, I for one don't think we're so much smarter than our ancestors.  We possess much greater connectivity via travel and instantaneous worldwide communication, and we have technologies that our forebears could only dream of.  But our forebears were just as smart as we are!  Unfortunately many of them were just as susceptible to emotional manipulation as our contemporaries.

None of these things preclude a pandemic!  In fact our travel connectivity often gives a new pathogen a lift everywhere before we're even aware of its presence.  Diseases are always seeking chinks in our armor, and they will always find them.  Only after these chinks are exploited will we be able to bring the full force of our technology to bear in order to shore up our defenses once again.  Meanwhile we endure pandemics and all of the problems they entail.
Edited for clarity.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 06:02:35 AM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #220 on: March 25, 2020, 04:22:02 PM »

The scary part to me is that the only reason why we in NY State are reporting so many cases is because we are testing suspected cases in huge numbers compared with other states.  The positive test rate as of a few days ago was about 25%.  I suspect that most other areas in the country also have a large number of infected people...but haven't done the testing yet.

In checking one of our local news web sites, they are reporting the first fatality in our county.  The latest count is 539 positives.....

WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
« Reply #221 on: March 25, 2020, 05:23:41 PM »
Massachusetts report:

+679 identified cases for 1838 total

+4 deaths for 15 total

About 6000 new tests for just under 20K total.

School opening has been pushed back to May 4.
https://lexmaweather.info
On Mastodon: @LexMAWeather@toot.community

Offline wxthomson

• http://www.minnetonkaweather.com
« Reply #223 on: March 25, 2020, 09:15:22 PM »

[/quote]Oh, so that's what you have against Trump!  He's trying to get away from being reliant on the communist regime that you love and look up to!  Now I understand.  If only the US would handle the virus in the same thoroughly competent way China did.  :shock:  :roll:

Well, maybe I still don't fully understand why you have such strong feelings about what Trump is doing or saying as it doesn't affect you.  After all I don't even have a clue about what your president, prime minister, chief, or whatever is doing; or even what his/her/its name is because it really doesn't affect me.  nz sneezes and no one even hears.  :-(
[/quote]

I thought we were trying to keep politics out of this discussion?

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #224 on: March 25, 2020, 09:26:26 PM »
Sorry wxthomson... the above post is not acceptable content.  A: political. B: personally defaming/denigrating.

Refrain from such posts in the future or be banned.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

anything