Author Topic: holy moley  (Read 1149 times)

Offline danxx

• Contributor
holy moley
« on: July 22, 2019, 10:30:27 PM »
All WU weather stations I've bookmarked, all over the country, are flashing reasonable conditions for a few seconds in their dashboards, and then quickly reset to temperatures all below freezing. Yep, in central Texas I get a temp of 90F briefly, rapidly followed by a temp of 32F. I wish. Half an hour ago, they were all working fine. Something's bonkers in the server room, I guess. Ten day forecasts, which include the record for earlier in the day, looks fine, though. Wundermaps are likewise reporting sensibly.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: holy moley
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 10:39:08 PM »
Look out!!  She is going to blow.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline danxx

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 10:42:57 PM »
Nice to have a sudden chill. We had a cold front coming in, but the temp was just supposed to get down to 80F. In fact, it appears the whole country is frozen solid, in July!

Offline danxx

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 08:18:24 AM »
Oh, it evidently makes a difference if you log in. I had avoided logging in for a long time because of the problems that used to make for WU. Now, if you don't log in, they're real chilly to you.

Once you log in, everything works.

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 11:16:25 AM »
Gotta love all these undocumented, little, "features" of the new WU.
If it's not a Boerboel it's just a dog.

Offline rormeister

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 11:18:12 AM »
Are we sure they aren’t reporting temps in C°F  =D>

Offline danxx

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 11:44:49 AM »
And now you log out, and everything looks right. Hey, wasn't that fun?

Offline rormeister

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 12:20:53 PM »
I’m not sure I’m buyng it....
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline danxx

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 01:06:27 PM »
Well, it works for me now, logged in or not logged in, but they were giving me the cold shoulder. Looks like you're getting flamed at.

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 01:58:03 PM »
It's just a glitch in the Matrix  :grin: [tup] .  I had the same thing this morning showed 90 degrees then went to 34 degrees  then back to 90 .

Offline danxx

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2019, 02:15:37 PM »
You know, when you're doing software fixes or upgrades, you just take the whole system down. You don't allow pure garbage to come out of it.
When that happens, it isn't a glitch in the software, it's a glitch in the service providers.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2019, 02:37:08 PM »
You know, when you're doing software fixes or upgrades, you just take the whole system down. You don't allow pure garbage to come out of it.
When that happens, it isn't a glitch in the software, it's a glitch in the service providers.

Actually you do everything on test system first and iron out the bugs. Then you implement into the production system with minimal downtime. You can actually make it so that you have no downtime by switching over to a failover cluster that has already been upgraded and tested.
Tele-Pole

Offline danxx

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2019, 03:04:09 PM »
Sure, if you're doing it right, and have a test system, that's exactly what you'd do. There is an amateurishness about this operation that leads me to believe that's not the case here. I can handle downtime. I forgive downtime. I can't forgive garbage data.

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2019, 04:28:03 PM »
Sure, if you're doing it right, and have a test system, that's exactly what you'd do. There is an amateurishness about this operation that leads me to believe that's not the case here. I can handle downtime. I forgive downtime. I can't forgive garbage data.

Remember, this IBM...they have no expertise in servers, data processing or websites.

[insert galaxy-wide eyeroll here]

Offline danxx

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2019, 05:27:22 PM »
That's true, but IBM is too pricey for this operation. I have to suspect that they contracted the job out to some high school kids who have vastly more experience in servers, data processing and websites, but aren't too knowledgeable about test systems or data fidelity.

Offline antstrafer

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2019, 05:42:25 PM »
That's true, but IBM is too pricey for this operation. I have to suspect that they contracted the job out to some high school kids who have vastly more experience in servers, data processing and websites, but aren't too knowledgeable about test systems or data fidelity.

give that man a cigar.  there are companies with far more critical software systems than WU that farm out "non-critical" coding to $12.59 hour offshore coders instead of engineers familiar with these systems. 
Davis Vantage Pro2 plus     Meteobridge

CWOP FW5142    PWS THAI817    MADIS F5142
WU KTXTHALI2    AWEKAS           weatherobs

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2019, 05:48:19 PM »
Yep. Looks like a High School project. =D>

It seems like some ‘work’ is going on the way it randomly works or comes up lame in some aspect.

](*,)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2019, 07:46:46 PM »
Yeah but the bottom of every WU page has the following IBM mentions plastered on them. You would think that if WU does not run smoothly and is in such disarray for so long that it might affect the IBM namesake. It tarnishes the brand. The IBM brand for generations stood for the pinnacle in computing and professional services. How does this make sense for IBM to have such a terrible associated business brand. Sure WU is like a step child.....but still. They should fix it or sell it and let someone else fix it.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

You know how you raise your kid to do well in school and not get in trouble and to act right in public. Why?... because you care about them. What is the first thing a parent might say to a kid that behaves poorly? Often you hear, "stop that you are embarrassing me." Because your children are a reflection of you.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 07:51:32 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2019, 08:01:47 PM »
You would think that if WU does not run smoothly and is in such disarray for so long that it might affect the IBM namesake. It tarnishes the brand.
I may be totally off base here, but WU to IBM, in the big scheme of things, it's nothing more than a pimple on the elephants ass. They have MUCH bigger fish to fry and care about than a stupid little weather site....300,000 users or not.

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2019, 10:01:02 PM »
You would think that if WU does not run smoothly and is in such disarray for so long that it might affect the IBM namesake. It tarnishes the brand.
I may be totally off base here, but WU to IBM, in the big scheme of things, it's nothing more than a pimple on the elephants ass. They have MUCH bigger fish to fry and care about than a stupid little weather site....300,000 users or not.

The only reason IBM keeps WU is for those PWS contributions which feed into their "Watson" data products which they sell for tens of thousands of dollars.  From 2016:

IBM and the Weather Company had already been working together as partners — IBM cut a deal in 2015 to tap into the Weather Company’s network of 100,000 weather sensors to ingest data for its machine-learning-based analytics services. The acquisition will now give IBM ownership of the company’s tech, and help it deliver more services around the weather vertical to current and existing IBM customers.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/01/29/ibm-watson-weather-company-sale/

Offline danxx

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2019, 10:09:39 PM »
Kinda funny then, that WU is largely functional for those people who don't log in. In fact, there was a period a few months ago when it worked better for those who didn't log in. IBM Cloud could market a big list of valid e-mail addresses from WU subscriptions, no? You make an account with WU, and it gets sold to marketers. Lots more people subscribe to WU than people who have PWSs listed by WU. But yes, PWS accounts include exact location, which might have value.