Weather Related Organizations > Windy.com

Windy station name and declination

(1/4) > >>

davidmc36:
So a couple questions about my station on Windy.

I know at one time a couple months ago I was on Windy and it had a "Is this station yours?" question displayed when I clicked on this station. So I went into the area of site to register my station for upload. I can see when logged into Windy the API for my registered station.

But this is displayed when I click for 'Stations in my Area' This is my station. But the name is not attached. Just says "WiFi Logger" Does the site actually know this is mine?

Also interesting it shows declination of 13 deg. Could this cause error if they are giving correction and my station already does? Or it should and does not? What should my station be sending?

I wonder if anybody has any insight about this. [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

galfert:
The name WiFiLogger is what you named your station on Windy. Go to your Windy station configuration and rename it whatever you want to call it.

https://stations.windy.com/stations

Click on the pencil icon to edit your station.

The magnetic declination is just for the purpose to be used by someone at your location with a standard magnetic compass. The declination shown gives that person the ability to orient themselves to find true North at that location, so that they can use the wind information. This has nothing to do with your data. 13 degrees W means that magnetic North is 13 degrees West (direction, not temperature) different than true North. The Windy site was created with the intention to be used by people that need wind information like sailors, RC aircraft pilots, paragliders, surfers, kite flyers....etc. Therefore it is useful for these consumers of this data to have an easy way to find true North without complexity, and they can do so with just a simple compass. The magnetic North location on Earth is constantly moving (even more so in recent years), therefore having up to date magnetic declination information is useful.

davidmc36:
This is not what I have on station name, I named it 'Morewood Ontario'. That's why I wonder if they are even linked. But I don't see any other station named 'Morewood'

I know the principle of declination having been in aviation for 35 yrs in The Arctic. What I don't know is for sure how I set my anemometer nor do I know for sure what Windy is expecting. Mag or True?

galfert:

--- Quote from: davidmc36 on May 05, 2020, 10:52:31 AM ---This is not what I have on station name, I named it 'Morewood Ontario'. That's why I wonder if they are even linked. But I don't see any other station named 'Morewood'

--- End quote ---
Go to https://stations.windy.com/stations
Login with your Windy account credentials.
You should see your station settings like this screenshot below.
Your station name is in red where I circled it. Click on Pencil icon to edit the name:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

--- Quote ---I know the principle of declination having been in aviation for 35 yrs in The Arctic. What I don't know is for sure how I set my anemometer nor do I know for sure what Windy is expecting. Mag or True?

--- End quote ---
Everyone's anemometer to should be oriented to true North. There are several way to find out what true North is...
- Use a magnetic compass and implement the 13° W declination correction for your location
- Use a GPS compass app on your mobile
- Use a map of your area
- Use the North star
- ...etc.
(only mentioning this for completeness and for the benefit of others that may stumble on this thread)

From page 21 of the Davis VP2 manual:
https://www.davisinstruments.com/product_documents/weather/manuals/07395-234_IM_06312.pdf

--- Quote ---Note: If your anemometer arm is not pointing true north, you should recalibrate the wind
direction reading on your console. See “Calibrate Wind Direction Reading” on
page 27 for more information.
--- End quote ---

Windy expects true North as does every other online weather service.

davidmc36:
True North rings a bell. Should be 99.9% sure I did it to the manual.

That's where I have been. Entered the the name a couple times. It doesn't change.

So I have done the steps. No hidden key. Maybe I will ask them.  :-| I'm doing something wrong.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version