Author Topic: ecowitt hp2551  (Read 1162 times)

Offline Ukpaulthm

ecowitt hp2551
« on: December 03, 2021, 04:54:13 PM »
Hi all
Am in the UK and looking at buying the ecowitt hp2551 is there any need for me to buy the GW1100 with it or is there no point ?
And is the hp2551 the best weather station ecowitt sell?
Thanks
Paul

HP2551
WS68 Anemometer
WH57 lightning strike sensor
WH40 rain collector
WN32A Temperature , Humidity and Pressure sensor
WH32 outdoor Temperature sensor

Offline box

• Forecaster
Re: ecowitt hp2551
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 06:31:00 PM »
Hi all
Am in the UK and looking at buying the ecowitt hp2551 is there any need for me to buy the GW1100 with it or is there no point ?
And is the hp2551 the best weather station ecowitt sell?
Thanks
Paul

It depends what you want to do

If all you want is to monitor weather and have a situation display then HP2551 is fine.  Where the GW1100 comes in is it acts as a screenless console, so it is cheaper and you do your monitoring using a PC or tablet via the weather services you link to on the internet or via the dashboard displays of any logging software (such as CumulusMX)

The two options have similar capabilities in terms of the number and type of sensors they can link to

As far as the 'best weather station' that again depends on what you want to monitor and how accurately. Ecowitt offer a range of sensors at different accuracies, combinations and capabilities

It might be better to look at where you can put the sensors first - are you limited to one option, and therefore a combined sensor array, or could you utilise a number of separate sensors spread around an area, optimising each placement for which aspect you are measuring?

I know 'it depends' is perhaps not very definitive or helpful, perhaps you could describe what you want to measure, for what purpose and the options you are considering for sensor placement?

Offline Ukpaulthm

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 06:52:50 PM »
Hi
Thanks for your reply.
Am all very new to this so all I want at the moment is the hp2551 with the screen and have it on weather cloud and weather underground.
Am just wondering if I could have it working with the Gw1100 then it would give me more of an option to more weather services .
Am not limited to one option for any future sensors

HP2551
WS68 Anemometer
WH40 rain collector

Offline Ukpaulthm

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 07:11:42 PM »
Hi
Thanks for your reply.
Am all very new to this so all I want at the moment is the hp2551 with the screen and have it on weather cloud and weather underground.
Am just wondering if I could have it working with the Gw1100 then it would give me more of an option to more weather services .

or i could buy the GW1102 then that way i could add to it overtime , and just use my pc,tablet or phone
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 07:16:19 PM by Ukpaulthm »

HP2551
WS68 Anemometer
WH40 rain collector

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2021, 03:17:26 AM »
Hi
Thanks for your reply.

or i could buy the GW1102 then that way i could add to it overtime , and just use my pc,tablet or phone
there's no reason why you cannot run the Gw and hp2551 in parallel. They both read the sensor transmissions and then do something with them.

Your data will be held by the weather service you send it to, but the amount and age varies between services. I think most allow you to download historical data but you will end up with a data file that you need to interpret

So you may need to think about local data logging if historical data is important to you, or maybe in the future.

My solution was the gw1002 (now 1102) as a start

Why?

I wanted separate components as I have the space to mount them in good locations

I didn't need a console as I had a spare PC to perform the display function and logging

The GW1000 gateway got my data to the internet and I used cumulusmx to log my data and feed the weather services that aren't default on the gw1000 (PWS, AWEKAS,Windy) but you do have a custom server option as well

Finally I used Google drive to backup my data and ups devices for the pc and gw1000, although I had a recent wrinkle with my fibre router which I need to sort, at least no local data was lost!

I think it's a pretty robust setup, but it meets my requirements and yours will be different and over the past year I have added more sensors

There are other permutations and options across these boards and it does depend on how much time and resources you want to devote to it, warning - it can become obsessive!!!   :lol:

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2021, 05:36:22 AM »
I ran a Davis VP1 for many years until its demise. I replaced it with the GW1003 (now GW1103 I think) because now being retired (or retarded as my son calls it  :shock: ) my finances would not stretch to a new Davis station. I use an old Android tablet as a console running Personal Weather Tablet app. I still save my data locally using Weather Display which again I have used for years with the VP1 previously. So far my GW1003 has performed well.

I would always recommend saving data locally in case you lose your internet connection and it gives a lot more flexibility as to what can be done with your data, it does require running something like a small PC or RPi 24x7 though to do the logging. The downside of all the current Ecowitt stations is that there is no datalogger which the VP stations have. Personally I do not upload my data to anywhere other than UKMO WOW, Ecowitt and my own website.

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2021, 06:40:46 AM »

The downside of all the current Ecowitt stations is that there is no datalogger which the VP stations have.

So true, a GW with some sort of data logging capability would be a hugely popular addition to their offer

Offline ManPereira

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2021, 07:58:11 AM »
The downside of all the current Ecowitt stations is that there is no datalogger which the VP stations have. Personally I do not upload my data to anywhere other than UKMO WOW, Ecowitt and my own website.

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Very usefull this topic for me, I am new and looking for info about buying a PWS for first time.
Yes I can mount all the sensors separately for better readings.
My big concern is the way you connect the data to your local PC or your website. I would like to have a website in future perhaps WIX ( is free)  :-)

Could you please give an idea how it can be done?
I have an old tbalet and also a computer not on use now (Windows XP) .
It is good to save data during the years, but that way do I need to have PC always on #-o

Your comments will be greatly appreciated.
Best regards.
ManPereira

Offline Ukpaulthm

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2021, 12:05:20 PM »
Hi
Thanks for your reply.

Great thanks for the info i like the idea of the GW1002 as everything is seperate but saying that i quite like the sceeens on the HP2551 so am really not sure now, once i get my mind sorted on what i want i watch a video and it just confuses me on what to go for even more lol
there's no reason why you cannot run the Gw and hp2551 in parallel. They both read the sensor transmissions and then do something with them.

Your data will be held by the weather service you send it to, but the amount and age varies between services. I think most allow you to download historical data but you will end up with a data file that you need to interpret

So you may need to think about local data logging if historical data is important to you, or maybe in the future.

My solution was the gw1002 (now 1102) as a start

Why?

I wanted separate components as I have the space to mount them in good locations

I didn't need a console as I had a spare PC to perform the display function and logging

The GW1000 gateway got my data to the internet and I used cumulusmx to log my data and feed the weather services that aren't default on the gw1000 (PWS, AWEKAS,Windy) but you do have a custom server option as well

Finally I used Google drive to backup my data and ups devices for the pc and gw1000, although I had a recent wrinkle with my fibre router which I need to sort, at least no local data was lost!

I think it's a pretty robust setup, but it meets my requirements and yours will be different and over the past year I have added more sensors

There are other permutations and options across these boards and it does depend on how much time and resources you want to devote to it, warning - it can become obsessive!!!   :lol:

HP2551
WS68 Anemometer
WH40 rain collector

Offline whitecitadel

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2021, 07:50:41 AM »
As your in UK be aware ecowitt now have a store on Amazon UK and there are frequent offers or sp discounts if you need to add more sensors. Weather Spares here in UK also stock the full range, and have a look at the threads on the Watson 8686 which is rebranded hp2551 with the y wing style sensor array that can be cheaper here in the UK.

Offline Ukpaulthm

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2021, 06:34:51 PM »
Hi
I went with the ecowitt hp2551 (Wireless outdoor package)

Just wanted to say thank you to all the replies i have had on the forum
also a huge thanks too Adrian at weatherspares for being so helpful and there customer service\after care was fantastic,

Paul
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 06:39:49 PM by Ukpaulthm »

HP2551
WS68 Anemometer
WH40 rain collector

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2021, 06:44:06 PM »
Hi

also a huge thanks too Adrian at weatherspares for being so helpful and there customer service\after care was fantastic,

Paul
good luck ,hope it serves you well!

Offline Ukpaulthm

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2021, 06:58:40 PM »
Hi

Paul
good luck ,hope it serves you well!

Thank you.

HP2551
WS68 Anemometer
WH40 rain collector

anything