Author Topic: Ecowitt web cam?  (Read 1551 times)

Offline PaulG27

Ecowitt web cam?
« on: May 11, 2023, 01:04:47 PM »
Hi,
I'm using an Ecowitt weather station GW1100 type, and I'm looking to set up a weather web cam for uploading to my own site and other sites such as Windy.com
Just wondered if anyone here uses the Ecowitt HP10 cam and has any thoughts, good or bad, on it
One thing that worries me slightly is, according to the spec on Amazon, it only works down to 0°C - not much good in winter even in the UK

Thanks

Paul

Offline tedroche

• Semi-retired, novice weather station operator
  • Weather Observer, CoCoRaHS, Storm Spotter
    • Contoocook Village North
Re: Ecowitt web cam?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2023, 03:08:37 PM »
Paul:

You can find some discussions of the Ecowitt HP10 on the Ecowitt forum, too, such as this one:

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=44846.0

The author of that thread is based in Germany and may have some insights on your temperature concerns.
Ecowitt GW1100, HP3501 WH32B WN32BS WH31 WH41 WH40B WS68BN
WeeWx Seasons on Raspian Buster Web site
WU: KNHHOPKI09 CWOP: GW0103 and WOW
CoCoRaHS: NH-MR-68 PWSWeather

Offline PaulG27

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2023, 04:25:35 PM »
Thanks, looks a very informative article, interestingly I have both a Windows system and Linux system running 24/7 for other projects so should be able to something with that  [tup]

Offline weatherkitten

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2023, 01:16:31 AM »
I have one and the plus side it's very easy to setup and to grab an image is pain-free.  It's also very small, compact, so you can mount it and it wont stick out like a sore thumb (unlike many security bullet cams).  Uses a wide angle such that it works well to capture the sky for cloud coverage.  Since it uses a USB power you could probably concoct a solar panel battery setup really easy with off the shelf parts, assuming you had no power supply nearby. No fees, or any of that subscription based nonsense.  Bad part is the image quality is not that great but if you have a thumbnail sized image for web purposes then it don't really matter that much.  The wide angle also introduces noticeable edge distortion but that's a given for any wide angle that could do the same. 

anything