Author Topic: Leak into outer cylinder with standard CoCoRahs gage?  (Read 525 times)

Offline AK7V

Leak into outer cylinder with standard CoCoRahs gage?
« on: October 02, 2023, 02:16:25 PM »
Whenever it rains, I find that about half of the caught precipitation ends up in the outer cylinder.  This weekend we got 0.15", and about half of that was in the inner, half in the outer.  I can't see how this is happening.  I don't see any cracks in the funnel.  And this is when there's way less than an inch of rain, so it's clearly not the inner tube overflowing.

Has anyone seen this before?

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: Leak into outer cylinder with standard CoCoRahs gage?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2023, 04:00:31 PM »
I would look for a crack or gap in the seam at the bottom of the inner measuring cylinder. There is a weld/glue seam at the bottom of the tube.

Try removing the inner cylinder and fill the inner cylinder with water and see if it is leaking when it is out.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2023, 04:46:12 PM »
I have never seen that before. Definitely sounds like the inner tube has a leak.

Offline AK7V

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2023, 10:46:03 AM »
You guys were right.  I brought it inside and put 0.40" of water into the inner tube last night.  This morning, 0.25" still in the inner tube and the rest in the outer tube.  Looking closely it seems there is a leak from the bottom of the inner tube.

Thanks for your help troubleshooting.

anything