Author Topic: All in ones in snow country  (Read 658 times)

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Alaska, The Last American Frontier
  • Forecaster
  • Living in the "Last American Frontier"
All in ones in snow country
« on: January 28, 2022, 11:19:58 AM »
I have had an Ambient WS1400-IP for almost 10 years, instrument package replaced once. I used to live in an area where snow was a rare event.  I now live on the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska, whenever it shows, snow piles up on the instrument package case and blocks the anemometer, weather vane and the solar cell and requires going out in the snow to clean the snow off. If it happens at night you loose several hours of wind data. I would suggest that a remotely mounted anemometer and weather vane would be better in these locations. Mounting is also an issue. The unit needs to be close enough to the ground to remove the snow as well. My 2cents.

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
Re: All in ones in snow country
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 11:45:39 AM »
Budget?

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
Re: All in ones in snow country
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2022, 02:13:27 PM »
It's a good point you make and something I was worried about with my Ambient WS-2000. Not only can it interfere with the wind cups and wind vane, but the snow also blocks the UV sensor and solar panel which prevents the capacitor from charging and could cause more rapid battery drain.

This is my first winter with the WS-2000. We have had a few significant snows, but there has been enough wind during the snow events to keep the snow from piling up on the Y shaped frame. I also did spray it with the DuPont spray recommended by Ambient so maybe that has helped as well. Keeping my fingers crossed ... but so far I haven't had to trudge out through the snow with a step ladder to clean it off.
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

anything