Author Topic: Today's Puzzler - Which way did he go?  (Read 927 times)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Today's Puzzler - Which way did he go?
« on: February 23, 2014, 12:37:15 PM »
I am giving you folks a shot at this one.
It is 20F outside, humidity 61%, the sun is shining on the ISS Mast.   I have two  anemometers, one is mounted high (I had it up there for about 10 years now , when I could remove the mast and put it up there, now ..not going to happen.)  and the second one is down where I can get to it. the Top one is hooked up to the ISS and the bottom one is hooked via the wireless  anemometer transmitter.  It has been there I'd say maybe 5 years with no problems.

No freezing rain, or precipitation since Thursday. 

The bottom one is pointing to the East and the Top to the west and  has been that way for about 30 minutes with the cups rotating.   The top one is the correct direction, but the bottom seems to have a mind of its own  and it does rotate when thwacked with the ice brush thwacker.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: Today's Puzzler - Which way did he go?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 12:42:18 PM »
I presume that you have some reason for saying that the bottom one is wrong.  Would you mind telling us how you are (independently) judging the wind direction near that anemometer?

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 02:34:17 PM »
I presume that you have some reason for saying that the bottom one is wrong.  Would you mind telling us how you are (independently) judging the wind direction near that anemometer?

I went outside, and waited for the wind to blow in my face and I determined with the direction using my Brunton compass.   

Further research showed using the broom handle method, was that the vane was hitting slightly on guy wire. Moving the guy wire that tiny bit, made it work .  Sheesh... then I went to get gasoline.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 02:55:45 PM »
Glad I could help you fix it.   :grin:

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 03:54:27 PM »
Glad I could help you fix it.   :grin:
[/q]
Thank you