Poll

How old are you. Your response is private.

Less than 18 Years Old
18 to 25 Years Old
25 to 35 Years Old
35 to 45 Years Old
45 to 55 Years Old
55 to 65 Years Old
65 to 75 Years Old
Over 75 Years Old

Author Topic: POLL: Tell us how old you are. - Totally anonymous  (Read 4693 times)

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
Re: POLL: Tell us how old you are. - Totally anonymous
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2019, 08:42:19 AM »
Another consideration regarding the dearth of youngsters here is how interests change as we age.  For instance, I didn't become interested in owning a PWS until I was in my fifties.  Wailing and gnashing of teeth because we don't see the youngest generation coming aboard here might be misspent energy.  Give them some more years, maybe lots of them in many cases.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2019, 09:18:41 AM »
I guess I should go buy some liquid Geritol. It appears most of the readers here know what Geritol is, but under 50, not likely. And, what popular TV shows did Geritol sponsor?

The original Geritol was taken off the market because of the high iron content.  Too much isn't always a good thing.  Maybe that's what kept Lawrence Welk kicking as long as he did. Geritol is still sold, but it's more of a generic vitamin supplement.

Lawrence Welk is the correct TV show. I did not remember it was taken off the market for the iron content. But, I thought that is what the product was addressing—“iron poor blood”!

https://youtu.be/FYDl9PFX3Yc

« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 09:23:07 AM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2019, 03:41:00 PM »
$4,500 invested in the S&P 500 in 1970 would be worth an inflation adjusted $79,167.15 today. What is that house worth today?

At least $125,000 maybe more with the market the way it is right now here.

I am a little surprised at the lack of younger people. I was very interested in all thing science related at that age (18 - 25). We had a barometer and an indoor/outdoor thermometer. The first time I saw a weather station for sale I wanted one. 

Offline catdon

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2019, 03:30:31 PM »
Wow am surprised  at the older folk ( I'm 59) thats great. I also post frequently on other weather sites, that are much more geared to the observational  side of weather, model discussion  etc. Those  sites have a much younger participation it seems.
Don
Staten Island, NY

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2019, 07:00:44 PM »
Wow am surprised  at the older folk ( I'm 59) thats great. I also post frequently on other weather sites, that are much more geared to the observational  side of weather, model discussion  etc. Those  sites have a much younger participation it seems.
We don't need those models and stuff when we can tell exactly what the weather is going to do by the way our joints ache.

Offline lightmaster

• MB-HWS Template Dev
  • Forecaster
    • Baxley,GA Weather
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2019, 03:14:37 AM »
Interesting that just 16% of people that have responded to the poll are 45 and under, and that out of the 81 people who have answered the poll, none have been between 18 and 25.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2019, 04:56:11 AM »
I AM surprised to bee in the minority (low end) at 53. Pleasant diversion.

Offline HansR

• De Wilgen
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2019, 12:52:11 AM »
Interesting. Should be repeated yearly or two-yearly.
This forum seems to be mainly American. Maybe stratify to continent?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 12:55:21 AM by HansR »

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2019, 08:53:15 AM »
I guess I should go buy some liquid Geritol. It appears most of the readers here know what Geritol is, but under 50, not likely. And, what popular TV shows did Geritol sponsor?

The original Geritol was taken off the market because of the high iron content.  Too much isn't always a good thing.  Maybe that's what kept Lawrence Welk kicking as long as he did. Geritol is still sold, but it's more of a generic vitamin supplement.

Lawrence Welk is the correct TV show. I did not remember it was taken off the market for the iron content. But, I thought that is what the product was addressing—“iron poor blood”!

https://youtu.be/FYDl9PFX3Yc
It also had a high alcohol content,   it was the easier for Gramps to snag a few extra  drinks under the guise of having Iron Poor Blood.    Yup the booze is gone.   I use gummi vitamins.  the only candy I get.   Probably explains a lot about my personality and I thought it was those 30 years of teaching juniors and seniors...:)

Offline wxthomson

• http://www.minnetonkaweather.com
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2019, 09:25:57 PM »
The largest group seems to coincide with the Baby Boom generation which includes me.

We were the first to grow up with electronics. How many of us kids had a big box with a small black and white TV screen in their living room? How the TV Repairman could come and replace a little glass tube and make everything wonderful again; Amazing! How many of us had a little transistor radio in bed with them at night after bedtime to listen to the ballgame or top 40 stations?

We were the ones who first experienced the cool things electronics and technology could do so maybe we were more inclined to experiment with and use it.

Experimenting with and using the technology made us more curious about science and the world in general.

So when cool weather technology for home use came along we couldn't resist. Then we found ways to combine it with computers. (how many of us had a Commodore 64?)

I try to relate to my kids and grand kids what an exciting time this was to come of age.

Wouldn't trade it for any other generation.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2019, 10:12:34 AM »
You may be on to something. Electronics was new, not just there when we were growing up. It sparked interest I'm sure.
We always used the local 7-Eleven vacuum tube tester when the TV went out because the TV repairman was so busy it would take weeks.
Randy

Offline graculus

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2019, 01:12:56 PM »
Tons (literally) of military surplus receivers, transmitters, and other gear fueled ham radio

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2019, 05:56:33 PM »
Wow! The tester at the Five-n-Dime. Now that brings back memories.

Offline Notsorusty

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2019, 08:02:32 PM »
Speaking of the Five-n-Dime how many of us old guys still carry change. When going out do you grab any to put in your pocket or have you all converted to plastic? Personally I still carry some, actually I grab 84 cents before going out; two quarters, two dimes, two nickels and four pennies. Young cashiers think I'm nuts when I offer to give them a nickel or some pennies to round out the bill.
Station Name: Silver Creek II
Latitude / Longitude: 41.925° N, -87.872° W
Elevation: 633
City: Franklin Park
State: IL
Hardware: Ambient Weather WS-2902D

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2019, 08:28:25 PM »
how many of us old guys still carry change.
Change? You mean that metal stuff? I rarely carry bills anymore, forget change.

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2019, 08:45:15 PM »
Change? Bills? Plastic? I try to pay for everything with my phone now.  :lol:
https://lexmaweather.info
On Mastodon: @LexMAWeather@toot.community

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2019, 03:44:28 AM »
Maybe a Toonie in case a card scanner does not work at Timmies but especially since we don't use pennies for exchange anymore there is way less change in the jar. I have an emergency 50 in my passport wallet, that's it normally.

Offline Platokidd

• top side land of Lincoln
  • Forecaster
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2020, 03:38:46 PM »
another Baby Boomer :lol:
Ambient
1-WS-5000 1-WS-2902A 2-WS40/RAIN 1-WH31L 
1-METEOBRIDGE 1-PM2.5 (WH41B) 3-WH31 1-SRX100LX

ECOWITT
2-HP2550 2-HP2560 2-GW2000 2-GW1100
2-WS68 1-WS80 1-WH32EP 10-WH31 1-WH40
1-HP10 2-WH45 4-WH55 5-WH51
1-WN30 1-WH41

1-DAVIS 7714
1-STRATUS
1-Fisher Barometer 1436R-22
PWS at 2 locations.
1- Storm Sensor-Zelda the dog ;)

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2020, 04:15:49 PM »
Times have changed but I certainly wasn't interested in this stuff when I was young.
I mean the occasional thunderstorm would wow me sometimes  but it was girls ,booze, and drugs back then.
To be honest what got me interested in  the weather hobby was hurricane Andrew. At that time I lived in Pompano Beach, Florida. Just standing out side  against a west facing building and watching those 100 mph gusts from the east whip those trees around was a site to see. The next year I bought a house and my first computer and I was hooked.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Platokidd

• top side land of Lincoln
  • Forecaster
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2020, 08:09:43 PM »
Christmas of 2018 I received my first pws as a gift. This was a Lacrosse purchased from Costco. The Lacrosse was more headaches than what it was worth.
I returned that Lacrosse and purchase a ws-2902a and loved it. Couple of months later I moved the ws-2902a to the camper and named it after the campground. Purchased a ws-2000 for at home and wow this thing is awsum!

Added a gw-1000 at home to push my data more. Just received my 2nd  ws-2000 to upgrade at the camper, can't wait. The ws-2902a makes a nice monitor in the bedroom.

Nah I'm not hooked... ;)  Just wish I was a lot more savy with this weather jargon stuff. Most of the time I don't understand how to do things. Ask for help and others help, but i don't always understand the help.. so I read read read trying to figure things out and slowly it comes .... I want to do so much more but yet, I just don't understand...

Anyway I will make do with my limited knowledge of how to do things. Most important I'm having fun doing it.
Ambient
1-WS-5000 1-WS-2902A 2-WS40/RAIN 1-WH31L 
1-METEOBRIDGE 1-PM2.5 (WH41B) 3-WH31 1-SRX100LX

ECOWITT
2-HP2550 2-HP2560 2-GW2000 2-GW1100
2-WS68 1-WS80 1-WH32EP 10-WH31 1-WH40
1-HP10 2-WH45 4-WH55 5-WH51
1-WN30 1-WH41

1-DAVIS 7714
1-STRATUS
1-Fisher Barometer 1436R-22
PWS at 2 locations.
1- Storm Sensor-Zelda the dog ;)

Offline ALITTLEweird1

• Mark
  • Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • North Bend Weather
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2020, 09:24:28 PM »
I didn't go through every post,  but i think the poll should have said " At what age did you start your weather hobby" not your current age.
"Nature can do without man, but man cannot do without nature."

Software: WeatherDisplay
Hardware: Davis VP2 + VP2 Solar + VP2 UV + Lightning Detector + Logitech Webcam + Soil temp + Soil Moisture

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2020, 10:09:33 PM »
I didn't go through every post,  but i think the poll should have said " At what age did you start your weather hobby" not your current age.

What a good idea for a new poll. Do it.

The purpose of this thread was to find out the demographics of our users.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2020, 05:05:06 AM »
Everyone can probably piece together events that sparked their weather enthusiast interest.

For me when I was young 6-7 yr. old I remember building an igloo with cousins in Valentine Ne.

Dodging hurricanes along the Gulf Coast several times turning into campouts inland somewhere.

Tremendous hailstorm in Odessa Texas breaking almost every window in the house with softball size hail crashing inside the house. Never been more frightened.

An arctic cold front that reached west Texas bringing ice and snow.
Randy

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2020, 06:34:11 AM »
Growing up in Southern New Brunswick the hilly terrain limited your horizon. The actual weather that awed me was watching a storm approach in the more open terrain of London Ontario where it was visible for a half hour or more before reaching us. Black, green, wall of wind and pea size hail walloped the airfield for 10 or 12 minutes. The light level was 25 mins after sunset. Spooky. 5 minutes later in the beaming sun there were patches of dry asphalt forming after melting all the hail. It had nearly 50% covered the terrain one pea layer thick. The ambient temperature before was in the mid 30's C. Cooled for a short while after. Very cool during.

Then one day I saw the gauges and equipment in the weather station at a small airport. 10 inch analog electromechanical wonders.

I still want something like that. Davis will suffice for now.