Author Topic: Atlas 8 - Extra Connector  (Read 841 times)

Offline giveme5

Atlas 8 - Extra Connector
« on: January 30, 2019, 12:40:51 AM »
I took my Atlas apart today and found something what I haven't seen on any photos before. Anybody by chance knows what this 2 pin connector is for (marked with yellow arrow on the photo)? Reserved for future "enhancement" maybe? Or just an assembly error?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Atlas 8 - Extra Connector
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 02:02:21 AM »
That's the "water" wire that was to connect to two metal rods extending across the rain cup.  You can see them in the FCC photos, but the rods didn't make it into the beta release.

In my beta model, the wire is wadded up and taped under the "south" solar panel where you can't see it.  I've got pictures I've been meaning to post to the "tear down" thread, but haven't done so yet.  Here's one:

Back in the FCC thread, it was speculated the rods could sense when precipitation was present, but not enough to yet trip the tipping buckets (i.e. less than 0.01" of precipitation).

Offline John Z

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 05:55:45 AM »
Did you find that wire in a production level Atlas? It would surprise me to still see it there.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 08:04:54 AM »
The second Atlas I received has the wire. It's the one I have that does not connect a lot of the time to the Access.

Offline John Z

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 08:20:29 AM »
Puzzled.

Maybe it still has some purpose, else why keep paying to put it there?

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 08:39:35 AM »
I am not sure if it is on the 3rd Atlas I have. If it is, it is hidden.

Offline giveme5

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 09:20:34 AM »
That's the "water" wire that was to connect to two metal rods extending across the rain cup.  You can see them in the FCC photos, but the rods didn't make it into the beta release.

Back in the FCC thread, it was speculated the rods could sense when precipitation was present, but not enough to yet trip the tipping buckets (i.e. less than 0.01" of precipitation).

That sounds plausible. I guess rods (water sensor) aren't ready for prime time yet. Perhaps matter of firmware upgrade on Access?

Did you find that wire in a production level Atlas? It would surprise me to still see it there.

Yes, it is production model purchased from Amazon (sold by Amazon, not third party seller). Not sure if early or late model. Didn't have any issues with lightning strikes detector, so I suspect that it is of later variety.

The second Atlas I received has the wire. It's the one I have that does not connect a lot of the time to the Access.

Mine has Access connectivity issues as well, probably from the same batch.

Anyway, the reason I have disassembled the Atlas is to modify fan motor to run permanently. That black color doesn't work well in American Southwest. Just a little better than my old 5n1. Pretty disappointing actually.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 10:41:46 AM »
That sounds plausible. I guess rods (water sensor) aren't ready for prime time yet. Perhaps matter of firmware upgrade on Access?

No.  The other parts aren't there anymore, such as the circuit board the rods attached to.  In any case, it seems like a weird feature that just didn't work out as intended, so it was abandoned.

Anyway, the reason I have disassembled the Atlas is to modify fan motor to run permanently. That black color doesn't work well in American Southwest. Just a little better than my old 5n1. Pretty disappointing actually.

Black doesn't have anything to do with it.  The sensor is well below it, and hot air goes up.

I can't imagine why it wouldn't work properly, unless the polarity is reversed on the fan and is pushing warmed air downward.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 11:14:14 AM »
The fan should draw air up across the screen mesh. The mesh could be dirty, and that would block air flow... It is easy enough to pop out the bottom of the pagoda for cleaning.

Offline giveme5

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 12:31:09 PM »
No.  The other parts aren't there anymore, such as the circuit board the rods attached to.  In any case, it seems like a weird feature that just didn't work out as intended, so it was abandoned.

Roger that.

The sensor is well below it, and hot air goes up.

I can't imagine why it wouldn't work properly, unless the polarity is reversed on the fan and is pushing warmed air downward.

I've checked the fan. It's blowing up.

The fan should draw air up across the screen mesh. The mesh could be dirty, and that would block air flow... It is easy enough to pop out the bottom of the pagoda for cleaning.

The mesh is still virgin white. Gave it a good compressed air cleanup just for case. Didn't change a thing.
I'm still getting 2-3 degrees spikes when sunny. Without fan working it would probably just stay high.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 12:34:36 PM »
The mesh is still virgin white. Gave it a good compressed air cleanup just for case. Didn't change a thing.
I'm still getting 2-3 degrees spikes when sunny. Without fan working it would probably just stay high.

How do you know it isn't a thermal passing through?

Offline giveme5

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 12:46:47 PM »

I got NIST certified thermometer probe to cross check

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2019, 01:33:16 PM »

I got NIST certified thermometer probe to cross check

Well, good luck then.

Offline giveme5

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2019, 03:57:34 PM »
We'll see how it goes. I'll wait few more days to test rain gauge. Getting some tomorrow and day after.

In the meantime...

Air temperature (4 min period):
Atlas spikes: 67.3 low, 69.5 high, delta: 2.2
Probe: 66.9 low, 67.4 high, delta 0.5

Light intensity: 63,840 lux as measured by Atlas

Those bellow may not be so accurate...
Surface temp of black cover (vertical area above south solar panel) 122.8 degrees
Air temp under the cover (not completely closed): 98.6 degrees
Surface temp of white assembly bellow (south side): 77.5 degrees
Surface temp of radiation shield (south side): 74.4 outside, 70.2 inside (measured when fan not running)

Offline wxwolf

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2019, 02:44:39 PM »
My Atlas also has this extra wire, taped in the same position as the OPs. Mine was purchased from amazon on December 29th ,2018

anything