Author Topic: Weatherlinc and multiple computers  (Read 858 times)

Offline Buscodoubledose

Weatherlinc and multiple computers
« on: April 01, 2023, 01:07:17 PM »
I have a Davis Vantage Vue station and console with usb connection. I am also using Weatherlink 6.0.3 and all works fine. So last night and today we have had very high winds in the area. And I wanted to know if there is a way for me to install Weatherlink on my garage computer to moitor the live weather readings. I like the Weatherlink interface better than I like the online web version. So is there a way to point Weatherlink on my garage computer over my network and look at the weather station or my main computer that the Vue is working on?   
Thanks
Wayne

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Weatherlinc and multiple computers
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2023, 02:18:29 PM »
No is the short answer I'm afraid in the context of the USB logger, at least in the sense of standard or easy options.

That said, I'm sure that you could find some way of relaying data from one computer to another, such as having WLfW running on the first computer generate web pages that could be made available to your garage computer, but that's just comparable to viewing the data on weatherlink.com. There is also an old program called Virtual VP that you could install on the first PC that could help, but that program hasn't been updated in years and is not properly compatible with recent software versions. You could probably spend a lot of time understanding how to configure VVP and even then find that it won't work robustly for you.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 02:33:22 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Online Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: Weatherlinc and multiple computers
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2023, 10:19:38 AM »
Yes sort of. You could use a remote control program like TeamViewer or others to remote into the computer running WL when you want see what the weather is. If your goal is to have the weather data displayed on two computers you might want to look at Weather Display or Cumulus (?) which allow to you to run a network copy showing the same data. Others here who are doing this can help you better. I am running stand alone copies of multiple programs on my weather computer on VVPro and have been doing so for years with no problems. (I even had one copy supporting multiple programs sending data to another VVPro copy on another computer supporting multiple programs). It is not that hard to set up and does work reliably. In the past I had it sending data to a test computer over my network to a copy of WL v5 and then later VWS. I have posted a doc with screen shots here in the past about how to set up VVPro. It is not that hard. There are two conditions though, you will need to purchase a Virtual Serial Port emulator program (eterlogic.com) and it depends on your network setup. I remember someone having a problem when their ISP upgraded their modem. If you want a copy of my setup doc shoot me a PM with an email address.

anything