Author Topic: Watchdog Software?  (Read 1879 times)

Offline K6GKM

• CamWX.com
  • Contributor
    • CamWX
Watchdog Software?
« on: February 28, 2023, 12:48:26 AM »
I'm looking for a utility to monitor and manage uptime for my critical applications such as Weather Display and Weather Message.  I used to use StartWatch, but I don't believe it's being developed or supported anymore.  I've also heard folks talk about Tripp Lite's WatchDog software, but that's no longer available either.

Can anyone recommend a current software utility that could replace these tools?

Thanks,
Grant Miles
Camarillo, CA, USA
Owner/Admin - CamWX.com
SKYWARN Spotter
Station Hardware: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus w/ 24hr FARS
Station Software: Weather Display, Weather Message, FWI Calculator, StartWatch, with social media & messaging automation using Make.com, Twilio, and Brevo.

Offline BoDuke

• Global Moderator
  • Contributor
  • Ambient Weather, Ecowitt, WeeWX, Custom PHP
Re: Watchdog Software?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 09:37:35 AM »
I have not personally used either of these Windows applications since I haven't had a need for them but they are two free options I found when I was looking for something to do that:

Restart on Crash
https://w-shadow.com/blog/2009/03/04/restart-on-crash/

ProcessAlive
https://singularlabs.com/forums/topic/processalive-automatically-restart-crashed-programs/

Hope this helps!

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 11:51:03 AM »

Hi,
I used to use StartWatch, but I don't believe it's being developed or supported anymore.
It still works...

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2023, 03:35:27 PM »
I still use StartWatch.  Watches my WD and CumulusMX installs.  Don't think either of those two ever crash, but it StartWatch does keep them running.  Sometimes I forget to tell SW to stop monitoring during an update.  SW fires them right back up on me.

I use it to fire up a couple of other non-weather related programs.  Just like that I can delay them 10 minutes after startup.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline K6GKM

• CamWX.com
  • Contributor
    • CamWX
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 04:57:27 PM »
It still works...

I still use StartWatch.  Watches my WD and CumulusMX installs.  Don't think either of those two ever crash, but it StartWatch does keep them running.  Sometimes I forget to tell SW to stop monitoring during an update.  SW fires them right back up on me.

I use it to fire up a couple of other non-weather related programs.  Just like that I can delay them 10 minutes after startup.

Ahh... I went searching the interwebs for StartWatch to download a fresh setup file the other day and couldn't find it.  Googled it just now and nearly tripped over the download link. :oops: I must be getting old.  We'll get StartWatch going again with the new install. 
Grant Miles
Camarillo, CA, USA
Owner/Admin - CamWX.com
SKYWARN Spotter
Station Software: Weather Display, Weather Message, FWI Calculator, StartWatch, with social media & messaging automation using Make.com, Twilio, and Brevo.

Offline K6GKM

• CamWX.com
  • Contributor
    • CamWX
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2023, 04:57:07 PM »
Ok I keep running full-speed into a wall in trying to get StartWatch to monitor all the applications I want monitored.  I encountered this issue several years ago with StartWatch trying to monitor Weather Display, before finally throwing my hands up and giving up on the project.  Now many years and one new PC later, I'm running into the same problem with a different set of applications.  Oddly enough, Weather Display is being monitored just fine (which, honestly, is what I'm primarily concerned about).

The issue seems to focus on a group of programs that run out of the same directory.  Initially, StartWatch started up and monitored these programs just fine.  However, over the course of continuing to configure StartWatch with the other Programs to watch, delays, testing, etc., StartWatch began to have issues starting/monitoring this one group of applications from one specific directory.  It's almost as if the target location of these exe files didn't exist.  After the Start Sequence is triggered, these applications wind up in a state of "Not Monitoring (Unable to start program - check program path and filename".  Of course I've triple checked both the path and the filename.

Have any other StartWatch users encountered this issue before?  I'm stumped...   ](*,)
Grant Miles
Camarillo, CA, USA
Owner/Admin - CamWX.com
SKYWARN Spotter