Author Topic: wifiLogger2 obtained IP Addr but isn't getting data from console  (Read 2460 times)

Offline FLsunshine

• https://thecore.com
Hi to all...
I received my new wifiLogger2 about a week ago and was finally able to get it connected to my router (after installing a Netgear EX7700 wifi extender).  I can now consistently log into the wifiLogger2 web pages but the Real Time web page at 192.168.1.3 is not updating at all.  I saw a posting that referred to using 192.168.1.3/wflexpj.json as a possible means for getting console data from the wifiLogger2.  This did result in a very large text string of data however in the locations where the data was supposed to be inserted was the text "null".
I saw an online posting where the poster referred to the use of "debug", so I tried 192.168.1.3/debug and sure nuf it started spitting out a string of data.  I'm hoping that someone may recognize some of the debug entries that I was able to capture as they started scrolling off my display window...see below...

Renew HiLows
DavisGetHiLows(): CRC BAD
DavisGetLPSandLOOP: CRC BAD
Renew HiLows
Renew HiLows
WasMiNute RTD read
Renew HiLows
Renew HiLows
Renew RTD
Renew HiLows
DavisWakeUP(): Can't find Weather station!!!
Renew HiLows
Renew HiLows
Renew HiLows
Renew HiLows
Renew HiLows
Renew HiLows
Renew RTD
Renew HiLows
Renew HiLows

Needless to say there was a considerable amount more of the above, but it didn't seem worthwhile copying more of the same as it pretty much was repeats of the above lines over and over.
I can't help but believe I am very close to having a working system, but there is one missing piece of setup that is missing in my system and then everything will start working.  Hopefully someone will read this post and realize that they also were at this point once and was able to determine how to get past my issue....hopefully!
FLsunshine

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Re: wifiLogger2 obtained IP Addr but isn't getting data from console
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 06:04:01 PM »
The firmware in the console must be 1.9 or newer—I assume you checked that? Then make sure you have the latest firmware in the logger. The firmware in WFL2 should be 2.41. If you go to the logger webpage can you press the “real time data” tab on top of the opening page? Have you tried rebooting your console by removing the batteries and AC adapter, if present? If that doesn’t work try rebooting the logger from its webpage OR by pressing the white button on the logger.  See also this You-tube video.

https://youtu.be/eyWrdPouS0o

If none of these work, contact:  support@wifilogger.net
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 06:48:41 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2022, 06:42:35 PM »
Are you setting a fixed IP in the logger ? I did because of my crappy CenturyLink DSL modem. I set it to 192.168.0.20 to avoid conflicts from my other wireless devices. Also what is the firmware level in your Console/Envoy that it's installed in. I had 1.9 in my Envoy and the loggers web page kept giving me a wrong time and date. I updated to 3.8 and that cured it. Just something to think about.

Offline FLsunshine

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2022, 08:56:06 PM »
Hi to Garth Bock & WheatonRon,
Thank you both for such a quick response to my posting.  I've been keeping the forum page open on my computer in hopes that there just might be one or two users out there that would have some comments.
1.  Yes, I have set my router up to provide a fixed IP to my wifiLogger2
2.  The firmware version in my Vantage PRO2 console is 3.88 which is also quite new having been purchased in the past month.
3.  The HW version in my wifiLogger2 is 2.30
4.  The FW version in my wifiLogger2 is 2.41
5.  I have used both the "real time data" tab on top of the opening page as well as just typing in the base IP address of the wifiLogger2 and both work fine
6.  I have the batteries removed because I have rebooted the unit so many times with no change in performance
7.  For rebooting the logger from its webpage I assume that you are referring to the Setup > System > Restart if yes, I had done that once, but now a second time
8.  For pressing the white button on the logger...yes several times with no change in performance

I also just watched the suggested youtube video and first thing tomorrow I will perform the suggested "complete" reset and restart and see if there is any change in performance.  If it is a "good" change as in "issue resolved", I will be back in touch to update this posting.  If no change then I will follow the other suggested path and contact support@wifilogger.net
again many thanks for the rapid response to my issue.
FLsunshine

Offline BigAlT

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2022, 11:17:43 AM »
Is the Baud Rate set correctly in your console?.

From the Console Manual
“Screen 14: Serial Baud Rate
The Baud Rate screen displays only if the console detects that a WeatherLink data logger installed on the console.
The console uses a serial or USB port to communicate with a computer. If you are connecting the console directly to your computer via USB or Ethernet, leave the setting at 19200, the highest rate for the port. If you’re using a modem, use the highest setting your modem can handle. The console must be equipped with a WeatherLink data logger to communicate with a computer or modem.
Screen 14: Baud Rate
The baud rate setting on your console must match the baud rate of the software you are using. If you are using WeatherLink for Vantage Pro2, refer to WeatherLink help for instructions on setting the serial port baud rate on your computer.
1. Press the + and - keys to select the baud rate.
Your Vantage Pro2 console supports baud rates of 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600,
14400, and 19200.
2. You have completed the console setup. To exit Setup Mode, press and hold
DONE until the current weather screen appears”
Davis Vantage Vue ISS & Console with WiFi Logger 2
2nd Davis Vantage Vue Console with WiFi Logger 2
Davis Vantage Pro2 Console with Meteobridge Nano SD
Davis Weather Envoy with USB Logger connected to RPi 3B+ running WEEWX
WeatherFlow Smart Weather Station

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2022, 11:37:43 AM »
The console uses a serial or USB port to communicate with a computer. If you are connecting the console directly to your computer via USB or Ethernet, leave the setting at 19200, the highest rate for the port. If you’re using a modem, use the highest setting your modem can handle. The console must be equipped with a WeatherLink data logger to communicate with a computer or modem.

He is using a WifiLogger. (No offense...but I am curious why you bring up using a modem unless you don't have a Davis Weather Station and don't know about how they work. Also while the console can be directly connected to a computer via USB/aftermarket board but there would be no datalogging function. Also the console can be connected via Ethernet but it would require a WLIP - WeatherLink IP  datalogger. Never heard of a datalogger being connected to a modem..unless it is a cell modem in the Davis Ag setup. The Davis is a different system from the others).

The Wifilogger is mostly a plug and play replacement for a wired datalogger. There is no setting of a baud rate unless the console was set to a lower rate for some reason. I have a V1 which installed easily (kinda) in my Envoy and after I learned the ropes and got it set up it has been streaming data to my weather computer and to WU and WL.com without any resets or restarts for the past year.

Offline BigAlT

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2022, 11:58:27 AM »
I believe the WFL emulates the WeatherLink data protocol since the only way the console can send data is through the port the WFL and Davis Data!oglers plug into. Was just a thought that the baud setting may have accidentally been set to the incorrect value.

PS,
As you can see I have both a WFL and WFL2 as well as a Vantage Pro 2 and two Vantage Vue stations plus a Weather Envoy so I have some idea of how they all work.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 12:10:22 PM by BigAlT »

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2022, 12:01:22 PM »

He is using a WifiLogger. (No offense...but I am curious why you bring up using a modem unless you don't have a Davis Weather Station and don't know about how they work. Also while the console can be directly connected to a computer via USB/aftermarket board but there would be no datalogging function. Also the console can be connected via Ethernet but it would require a WLIP - WeatherLink IP  datalogger. Never heard of a datalogger being connected to a modem..unless it is a cell modem in the Davis Ag setup. The Davis is a different system from the others).

The Wifilogger is mostly a plug and play replacement for a wired datalogger. There is no setting of a baud rate unless the console was set to a lower rate for some reason. I have a V1 which installed easily (kinda) in my Envoy and after I learned the ropes and got it set up it has been streaming data to my weather computer and to WU and WL.com without any resets or restarts for the past year.

The wifilogger gentleman also makes an ethernet logger for the Davis VP2. See photo of same.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 02:13:00 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2022, 03:32:49 PM »
As you can see I have both a WFL and WFL2 as well as a Vantage Pro 2 and two Vantage Vue stations plus a Weather Envoy so I have some idea of how they all work.
That's cool. I missed that in your signature because I was on my tablet early in the morning. When you started talking about connecting the console via USB or Ethernet without mentioning a logger and then brought up about connecting a modem it kinda thru me for a loop (not a loop2 😁). My apologies. Oh and also to the WiFiLogger maker because I mentioned ethernet but didn't call the MeteoPi out by name. (Years ago someone posted here or on another forum about a console lockup problem. They were specific about it being a Davis VPro2 console. One person answered with " to restart the Davis console hold down CNTRL ALT DEL to reboot it and then login with your password". I swear many of us sprained eyeballs after eye rolling on that one .. 😂)

Offline BigAlT

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2022, 03:50:16 PM »
The comments about USB and Ethernet are from the section I quoted from the Vantage Pro2 Manual section regarding connecting the console to a computer via a data logger. The WFL substitutes  for a USB or Ethernet data logger and  connects to your router  using WiFi instead. I don’t know what the port speed of the WFL is but is probably the default 19,200 of the console.

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2022, 05:04:38 PM »
Wait... you read the manual?  You broke the cardinal man rule... Never read the manual... and if a woman's around.. hide it ! 😂

Offline BigAlT

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2022, 05:57:01 PM »
I did, I did. I followed the prime directive. If all else fails, “ Read The Manual “ 😱

Offline FLsunshine

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2022, 10:55:54 AM »
Good Morning All,
Well yesterday turned out to be a "honey-do" day with very little time left for my Wx project.  None-the-less I did get a chance late in the evening to check out my posting and saw that there had been a fair amount of comments added to this thread.  Let me comment that my VP2 Does NOT show any indication of a setting for Baud Rate which I think is normal when the WFL2 is pluggen in.  I did mention that I was going to use the "Reset" process suggested by WheatonRon, so this morning I did perform that operation as described in his attached youtube URL.  That process executed as described in the youtube video.  After the "Reset" I went throught the process of setting up the WFL2 as a Access Point...Logged in to 192.168.4.1 ... entered my router server info...obtained the WFL2 IP address....and most unfortunately I'm right back to the original issue of not getting any data from the console.  I ran the debug page at [WFL IP Addr]/debug and basically got a repeat of the response that I have detailed in my original post.
Just to be clear...all of the web pages are accessible via [WFL IP Addr] which includes the drop down menu from the "Setup" tab.  And each of the 7 drop down menu choices are functional to the extent that they open a web page however nothing I've been able to accomplish is indicating that communication has taken place either to or from the console.  Obviously the WFL2 is getting power through those interface pins.  Additionally from the web page tab "Setup" > "Weather Station Setup" at the botton of this page is a place to send a command to the console and it is preloaded with the text "TEST".  When I press the EXECUTE button, the window below this button get loaded with "NO DATA".  So far I've been unable to figure out exactly what should happen when the EXECUTE button is pressed...I'm assuming that perhaps it is attempting to write the "TEST" text to the console window...maybe!
Today if the wife allows, I will remove the WFL2 and microscopically examine the interconnects on both the console and the WFL2 and make sure all the pins are there and look normal.
Please keep the comments coming as I do read them all and one never knows when one of them can turn out to be the answer to the issue.
FLsunshine

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2022, 11:54:41 AM »
Hi,
So far I've been unable to figure out exactly what should happen when the EXECUTE button is pressed...I'm assuming that perhaps it is attempting to write the "TEST" text to the console window...maybe!
In my case when I press EXECUTE for "TEST" I get:   <LF><CR>TEST<LF><CR>
and for any of the other options (from drop down) I get what seems like valid response as well.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2022, 12:10:04 PM »
FLsunshine,

Time to contact: support@wifilogger.net.

He is very responsive but lives in Poland so he is several hours ahead of you—4 I think.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 01:52:45 PM by WheatonRon »

Offline FLsunshine

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2022, 02:25:20 PM »
FLsunshine,

Time to contact: support@wifilogger.net.

He is very responsive but lives in Poland so he is several hours ahead of you—4 I think.

Tnx WheatonRon,
Yes, I just finished typing up a letter to him and hopefully will have a response soon.
Just as a little background, I had a much older model of the VP2 many years ago and used the Davis USB output module to capture data.  But that system went with the house when we sold it.  It's taken me some time but I finally got this new VP2 and then the WFL2 as Davis doesn't carry the older plug-in modules any more.  I just want to get my Weather pages back up and runniing again like in the "good ole days"!
Tnx for all your assistance.
FLsunshine

Offline FLsunshine

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2022, 02:34:33 PM »
Hi,
So far I've been unable to figure out exactly what should happen when the EXECUTE button is pressed...I'm assuming that perhaps it is attempting to write the "TEST" text to the console window...maybe!
In my case when I press EXECUTE for "TEST" I get:   <LF><CR>TEST<LF><CR>
and for any of the other options (from drop down) I get what seems like valid response as well.

Enjoy,
Paul

Hi Paul,
Tnx for posting the image along with your comment.  If it wasn't for the image I don't think I would have known that the associated box had a arrow for a drop down menu selection with loads of other options.  So is there some documentation somewhere that identifies these various menu choices and more importantly indicates what the expected return should be??
Ed

Offline BigAlT

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2022, 03:22:15 PM »
Ed,
 It sounds like there may be hardware problem with either the WFL or the Pro2. The cheapest way to test if the console is the problem to substitute a Davis USB Data Logger for the WFL2. There is one currently on eBay for $55. https://www.ebay.com/itm/134211522250?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=sVr4O3CBSV6&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=yUG080qNSda&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=EMAIL

I tried the various Tests that Paul mentioned. Here are the results I got for the tests that seem to test the connection between the WFL2 and the console ( which appear in the box below the tests )

For TEST I get  <LF><CR>TEST<LF><CR>

For RX Check I get  <LF><CR>OK<LF><CR>17140 652 0 305 0<LF><CR>

For RX Test I get  <LF><CR>OK<LF><CR>

For VER I get  <LF><CR>OK<LF><CR>May  1 2012<LF><CR> ( Probably the date of the Console Software Version ).

For RECEIVERS I get <LF><CR>OK<LF><CR>

I think the other items clear data so I didn’t want to try them.

I believe STOP and Start refer to stopping and starting the console sending data but I’m not sure so don’t want to try them either.

Allan

« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 07:39:48 PM by BigAlT »

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2022, 05:04:02 PM »
Hi,
So is there some documentation somewhere that identifies these various menu choices and more importantly indicates what the expected return should be??
I am not aware of any mention in a manual, but hover over any item and that gives some basic description - i.e. for  "CLRLOG" shows 'Clears the archive data'

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2022, 07:29:13 PM »
........   .  Let me comment that my VP2 Does NOT show any indication of a setting for Baud Rate which I think is normal when the WFL2 is pluggen in.  ...........

You mean if you keep pressing DONE on console, after a power cycle, you do not eventually get to a BAUD setup screen?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2022, 03:57:32 AM »
Renew HiLows
FLsunshine

WiFilogger has no communication with the console.
Cases:
1. Baud rate in the console is not 19200. 19200 baud rate is required to obtain communication.
2. The console was not fully disabled while logger mounting. The AC adapter and batteries must be removed. Because a console is recognizing logger on startup, the time when a console is beeping.
3. Logger can be not pushed firmly enough into the socket. Sometimes socket/plug is extreme tight, user has to use some force to push it into the socket in the batteries compartment. Ofcourse a console has to be powered off while putting/removing datalogger.
4. WiFilogger is damaged. Can happen, but this is extreme rare.

Offline FLsunshine

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2022, 10:25:15 AM »
Renew HiLows
FLsunshine

WiFilogger has no communication with the console.
Cases:
1. Baud rate in the console is not 19200. 19200 baud rate is required to obtain communication.
2. The console was not fully disabled while logger mounting. The AC adapter and batteries must be removed. Because a console is recognizing logger on startup, the time when a console is beeping.
3. Logger can be not pushed firmly enough into the socket. Sometimes socket/plug is extreme tight, user has to use some force to push it into the socket in the batteries compartment. Ofcourse a console has to be powered off while putting/removing datalogger.
4. WiFilogger is damaged. Can happen, but this is extreme rare.

As I had mentioned in a previous post, I was going to remove the WFL2 so I could do a thorough inspection of the WFL2 as well as the connector pins on both the WFL2 & the console.  This would be the first time I would be removing the WFL2 since the day I first installed it. Following breakfast this morning I accomplished that task and found nothing that look suspicious.  All the solder joints on the WFL2 were exceptionally well flowed and none exhibited any evidence of being cracked or "cold" solder, additionally all the piins for the connector (male & female) were in good shape.  I reinserted the WFL2 and this time took exceptional care to make sure it was firmly inserted into the console connector.

At this point let me respond to the question that was posted by davidmc36...my method for testing for the baud rate was to simultaneously press the "DONE" button and the "-" button and then cycle through the various setup options.  Using this method the option for setting the baud NEVER appeared.

Upon power up the first thing that I observed was that the Real Time Data was now for the first time showing data being displayed for all the sensors in my instrument suite.  Also based upon the posting from WiFiLogger I once again went looking for the Serial Baud Rate setup option and now it is available and is set to 19200.

So it now appears that both the console & the WFL2 are working as designed.  I can only assume that the final step that got things working properly was the removal of power from the console followed by the removal of the WFL2 and then the replacement of the WFL2 followed by a power up.

Additionally, I started up the WeatherLink software Ver. 6.0.5 and entered the IP address in the Communications Port setup screen.  The WeatherLink software immediately started to communicate with WFL2 and was displaying all my sensors.

And one last task which was for me the real important item.  From my Raspberry Pi I issued a curl command to the WFL2 (curl 192.168.1.11/wflexpj.json) and got back a complete status display of all sensors including WFL2 setup parameters...happiness is a totally functional wifiLogger2.

I want to thank all the posters for their assistance with my issue which in the end appears to be some unique quirk associated with getting the Davis console into the proper state to allow it to communicate with WFL2.
Now I'm off to start working on the software needed to display my weather data on my website.

Ed Finn
https://thecore.com/efinn/wx/wx.html
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 09:30:19 AM by FLsunshine »

Offline BigAlT

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2022, 11:14:52 AM »
Glad you got it working. Looks like the problem was one pin of the WFL wasn’t making good contact with the socket in the console.

Offline FLsunshine

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2022, 01:38:30 PM »
Glad you got it working. Looks like the problem was one pin of the WFL wasn’t making good contact with the socket in the console.

Hi BigAIT...yes I guess that is one possibility.  The other is that the VP2 console doesn't always end up in the proper state to communicate with the WFL2 when you power cycle it.  I followed the procedure that was outlined in the little instruction card that came with the WFL2 which clearly takes you through the steps of removing all power...pluging in the WFL2...turning on the power...then pressing the buttons on the WFL2 to start it in the setup mode.  All of that went as expected, I just didn't have any indication of communication with the console. 

I guess I'm lucky that I decided to remove the WFL2 and do a QC inspection of the little rascal which forced me through the power cycle again, otherwise I might still be posting my issue here on this forum.

So bottom line yes, one of the above obviously fixed the issue and all is working great...I'm a happy camper again!

Ed
https://thecore.com/efinn/wx/wx.html
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 09:31:00 AM by FLsunshine »

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2022, 03:59:19 PM »
I am voting some corrosion on a pin and you scrubbed it off with the re-and-re.

I have NEVER seen a Logger (of any variety) fail to pass data when powered up and fully seated in the pins.