Author Topic: Acurite 6088M PWS shows dewpoint higher than temperature  (Read 988 times)

Offline JacobRhyne

• Personal Weather Station Dashboard
Acurite 6088M PWS shows dewpoint higher than temperature
« on: May 28, 2021, 11:39:22 PM »
When I went to look on my weather station on PWS Monitor, it said a dewpoint higher than the temperature. It sometimes shows this, like when it rains a lot or if there is fog. How can I fix this problem?
AcuRite 6088M 5-in-1 Weather Station with Lightning Detector
Link to PWS Dashboard:
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KNCCONNE47
Weather Underground KNCCONNE47

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Acurite 6088M PWS shows dewpoint higher than temperature
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2021, 06:28:20 AM »
It is an inherent issue from the design of the station. Only fix is to get a different station. This issue has been mentioned numerous times with Acurite users.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 02:33:40 PM »
When I went to look on my weather station on PWS Monitor, it said a dewpoint higher than the temperature. It sometimes shows this, like when it rains a lot or if there is fog.
How much of a difference are you seeing? A screenshot of the graph might help.

Offline JacobRhyne

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 07:32:15 PM »
This is what I got around 11:19pm last night. Look at the temperature and dew point. The dew point is a degree higher than the temperature.
Link to PWS Dashboard:

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2021, 04:46:17 PM »
What I notice about you station is that it's displaying temperature and dew point temperature in whole degrees while my station (5in1 with Access) shows decimal tenths. Is there a way to set yours up to display decimal? I think that will solve the problem. It's only a guess but what I think is happening is that the software is truncating the temperature reading and rounding the dew point temperature. (and yeah I know that's a poor way to do things and doesn't make any sense but I'm pretty sure it's what's happening)

Here is an example at about 3AM this morning your station was showing a temp of 54 and a DP of 55. Hypothetically if the temperature was 54.8 with a humidity of 99% the DP temp calculates to 54.5. 54.8 truncates to 54 Deg and 54.5 rounds up to 55. Have you ever seen a two degree difference? If so then my theory won't work but otherwise I think it's probably correct.

FWIW, my station is a 5in1 that connects to WU using the Access and displays temps as a decimal. I looked back for over a year and can't find any instance when the temperature was higher than the DP temp. They seem to track accurately exactly as one would expect.

I also noticed your station's humidity tends to track higher than the other nearby stations. KNCCONNE22 is an example.

Offline JacobRhyne

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 09:07:41 PM »
My display model doesn’t have a option to display decimals for temp and dew point. I hadn’t seen a two degree difference.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 09:09:33 PM by JacobRhyne »
Link to PWS Dashboard:

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 02:42:49 PM »
I may not have explained myself well enough. My displays (which don't have wifi) only show whole numbers  but the information I send to WU has decimals. I was wondering if it was possible to set yours up that way too. I tried looking at the manual but it doesn't really say.
You might try contacting Acurite, if they get enough complaints maybe they'll fix the issue.

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2021, 02:20:03 PM »
If you look up  any dew point charts you will see this is right online for what it should be . You humidity is probably 100% but only goes to 99% . You dew point and temp is right on + or - 1 to 2 degrees . You can use this to input in your figures to see what the dew point will be . https://www.weather.gov/epz/wxcalc_rh

This is what I got around 11:19pm last night. Look at the temperature and dew point. The dew point is a degree higher than the temperature.

anything