Author Topic: Davis 7346 sensor extension cable length  (Read 282 times)

Offline fkapp

• Forecaster
Davis 7346 sensor extension cable length
« on: June 01, 2021, 08:47:08 PM »
Any issue to extend the cable on sensor 7346 to 45 to 50 feet?
Any accuracy issues doing this?
Thanks
Frank

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: Davis 7346 sensor extension cable length
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 09:32:25 PM »
Not sure? Have never seen any reference in extending the cable length beyond 25 feet. The Temp/Hum sensor is available with 2 different length cables, normally comes standard with a 2 foot tail but they also make a specific 25 foot cable version.   

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 05:15:27 AM »
Any issue to extend the cable on sensor 7346 to 45 to 50 feet?
Any accuracy issues doing this?

It's a digital sensor so accuracy isn't going to be the issue, it's going to be whether the sensor data packet can be received reliably. Sensibus is intended only for short-range use. Davis have obviously proved it out to 25ft nowadays (never used to be recommended to do so), but there's no information on how much further it might go. I'd be doubtful about how reliable 50ft might be, but interfaces often work beyond their recommended max range so it would be trial and error.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
  • weather is never boring
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 10:46:21 AM »
I extended the cable using cat 5 on one sensor at 85 feet and it worked ok but another sensor would not work so i dropped down to 50 feet and all off my sensors worked ok at that distance. I never was sure if it was a digital distance problem or maybe a voltage problem with Davis using the low end of the voltage operating range of the sensor.