Author Topic: WeatherLink Indoor Temp 10 degrees higher than WeatherStation  (Read 1309 times)

Offline dmaustin

Recently I have been getting alerts that the indoor temperature exceeds 90. Which came as a surprise as even the outdoor temperature was not that high.
After further investigation, I see that WeatherLink is reporting almost 10 degrees higher than my weather station. I'm stumped.
I've had my weather station for mor than 10 years and WeatherLink Live for one year with no issues.
See attached picture comparing the two side by side.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: WeatherLink Indoor Temp 10 degrees higher than WeatherStation
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 05:41:51 PM »
The Weatherlink Live reports indoor temp separate from your console.  And presume Weatherlink Live is updating to Weatherlink.com and that is where you see the higher temperature compared to the temp on your console?

Where is your WLL device located compared to your console?  Could it be exposed to something nearby that generates some heat?

I have an Envoy, a Vue console, and a WLL within 12 inches and they all report very similar indoor temperature.

Enjoy,
Paul
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 05:44:27 PM by PaulMy »

Offline dmaustin

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 06:23:19 PM »
That's it! I moved my 6100 WeatherLink Live Data Collection Hub to my network closet two weeks ago - separated from my console which is sitting on the kitchen counter.
I assumed the console was still taking those measurements as they were before I acquired the 6100.
And it is about 9 degrees warmer in the network closet!
Thank you for helping me clear this up.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2021, 05:36:21 AM »
I don't have WLL live but I find it odd they would put a temp sensor in the unit when the console already has one. :???:
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2021, 06:19:32 AM »
I don't have WLL live but I find it odd they would put a temp sensor in the unit when the console already has one. :???:

What has a Console got to do with WLL in regard an Internal Temp sensor?

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2021, 06:48:29 AM »

Because the WLL is stand-alone, no Console required.

So in that case......where else would you get inside temp?

Offline dmaustin

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2021, 07:12:05 AM »
Yes, I was not aware that WLL was stand alone. I have been using the console for so many years before I purchased the WLL, I was still under the assumption the console was providing those metrics. Now I learned from this forum that WLL overrides console.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2021, 07:17:01 AM »
Yes, I was not aware that WLL was stand alone. I have been using the console for so many years before I purchased the WLL, I was still under the assumption the console was providing those metrics. Now I learned from this forum that WLL overrides console.

It doesn't 'override' the console, WLL and the console are completely independent of one another. Which inside temp you see will depend on which display or local/web software you're looking at.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dmaustin

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2021, 07:37:40 AM »
With the WLL active, which local web/software service would show the console inside temp?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2021, 09:11:50 AM »
With the WLL active, which local web/software service would show the console inside temp?

As I say, the console and WLL are completely independent. If you have a logger in the console and have software taking a data feed from that logger then it will show the console inside temp. OTOH if your software (eg weatherlink.com) is taking data directly from the WLL then it will show the WLL inside temp. There's no way (no simple way at least) for the console inside temp to show up on the WLL data feed or vice versa.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dmaustin

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2021, 09:21:14 AM »
Thanks, johnd, this is helpful for me to understand how these devices operate. - dan

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2021, 05:03:32 PM »

I did not know that. Always thought WLL was an apparatus to just upload data to the Davis servers.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2021, 07:50:27 PM »

I did not know that. Always thought WLL was an apparatus to just upload data to the Davis servers.

The Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 does so much more. I wish I had known its capabilities before I purchased my Davis system. After having used my Davis system for close to a year, I would have ordered my VP2+ without the VP2 Console.
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless) | Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 | Meteobridge Pro
WeatherLink | WundergroundCWOPAWEKASWindy

Offline fish1552

• KGALUDOW3
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2021, 11:20:22 AM »
The Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 does so much more. I wish I had known its capabilities before I purchased my Davis system. After having used my Davis system for close to a year, I would have ordered my VP2+ without the VP2 Console.

This thread has actually helped answer some questions for me.  I was debating on a new Davis PWS and was wondering if I needed both.  I planned on keeping my AcuRite just for visual temps in the mornings, so didn't really need to console, but wasn't sure if the WLL monitored anything or if it was *just* a sending unit for data.  That saves me some $$$.  Thanks all.