Author Topic: LoRa transmitting  (Read 626 times)

Offline mikeW

LoRa transmitting
« on: May 19, 2021, 09:26:21 PM »
Hi
Im looking to see if anyone has had success in setting up a long range weather data transmision.
im currently using davis devices to send me data from 3 stations spread out within 6 miles from home base to relay info such as wind speed and direction for agricultural purposes (spraying) using vantage connect(Cellular uploading of data)
this setup is a ten out of ten.
but i want to have 10 to 15 stations optimaly scattered within 6 miles, say.
the yearly upkeep an davis vantage connect isn't economically sound.
ive looked into repeaters but id need too many of them.

i got into Microcontrollers recently (aduino, etc) and discovered the endless possibilities but am having a difficult time finding info related to wx  longe range data transmission

i dont need the data on the internet just a local receiver/display to display the wind speed and direction.

is there anyone out there with the same idea but more developed than me or just someone to steer e in the right direction.

I would appreciate any advice concerning the above.

Thanks

Offline sky_watcher

• Contributor
Re: LoRa transmitting
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 12:54:28 AM »
Hi
Im looking to see if anyone has had success in setting up a long range weather data transmision.
im currently using davis devices to send me data from 3 stations spread out within 6 miles from home base to relay info such as wind speed and direction for agricultural purposes (spraying) using vantage connect(Cellular uploading of data)
this setup is a ten out of ten.
but i want to have 10 to 15 stations optimaly scattered within 6 miles, say.
the yearly upkeep an davis vantage connect isn't economically sound.
ive looked into repeaters but id need too many of them.

i got into Microcontrollers recently (aduino, etc) and discovered the endless possibilities but am having a difficult time finding info related to wx  longe range data transmission

i dont need the data on the internet just a local receiver/display to display the wind speed and direction.

Try this page for information about LoRaWAN.  https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/docs/lorawan/limitations/

Of particular note to you will probably be the data rate arising from the wind data update rate of the weather station:
"Interval between messages should be in the range of several minutes, so be smart with your data. You could for example transmit a min|avg|max every 5 minutes, or you could only transmit when you sensor value changed more than a certain threshold or have it triggered by motion or another event."

Also if you are really rural, you may not be able to access a repeater and you would be up for the cost of one.

Regards,
Mark
“The more a man knows, the more willing he is to learn. The less a man knows, the more positive he is that he knows everything...” ― Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline zoomx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 03:28:25 AM »
Maybe give a look to the Vinduino project
https://vinduino.com/
https://github.com/ReiniervdL/Vinduino
It started as a small project for vineyards but it is an Arduino project. I don't know nothing about the distance reached, I only read it some years ago.

Offline mikeW

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 10:07:29 AM »
Very good info, thanks I’ll check them out
Thanks Much.
Mike W

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 02:38:42 AM »
This may be what you already plan on doing but just in case... If all you need is wind speed and direction, you can ditch most of the davis hardware and read the anemometer output with a microcontroller. Ex: http://cactus.io/hookups/weather/anemometer/davis/hookup-arduino-to-davis-anemometer

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2021, 05:08:33 AM »
Also look into Barani weather stations that are designed to use not just LoRaWan but also other technologies.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole