Author Topic: MAC address of Davis WeatherLink Live 6100  (Read 1782 times)

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
MAC address of Davis WeatherLink Live 6100
« on: February 25, 2021, 11:17:04 PM »
At some point in time my router stopped displaying the connection of my Davis WeatherLink Live 6100.
I can go to my weatherlink.com browser app to see the WLL 6100's IP address. The WLL 6100 works just fine.
I need the MAC address along with the IP address in order to reserve the WLL's IP address in the router.
I was sure the MAC address would be printed on the bottom of the WLL 6100, but it is not.
How do I find the WLL 6100 MAC address if it isn't listed in the router's list of attached devices?

My router is a NetGear Mesh Orbi RBR20.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 11:25:06 PM by TraderGary »
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless) | Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 | Meteobridge Pro
WeatherLink | WundergroundCWOPAWEKASWindy

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: MAC address of Davis WeatherLink Live 6100
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 11:36:09 PM »
Open command prompt in Windows or terminal prompt in MacOS and then type:
arp -a

But first ping the known address IP of the WLL. For example if the IP of the WLL is 192.168.1.35 then:
ping 192.168.1.35
Then match the resulting arp -a output for the known IP to that device's listed MAC address.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 11:44:15 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 12:01:27 AM »
arp -a

But first ping the known address IP of the WLL. For example if the IP of the WLL is 192.168.1.35 then:
ping 192.168.1.35
Then match the resulting arp -a output for the known IP to that device's listed MAC address.

Yes, it works and I now have the WLL 6100 MAC address!
It absolutely requires the ping first, otherwise it doesn't list it.

In fact, arp -a
only lists 10 of the total 20 attached devices that are actually listed by the router itself!
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless) | Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 | Meteobridge Pro

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 12:09:14 AM »
arp -a

ping 192.168.1.35

Yes, it works and I now have the WLL 6100 MAC address!
It absolutely requires the ping first, otherwise it doesn't list it.

In fact, arp -a
only lists 10 of the total 20 attached devices that are actually listed by the router itself!

Any idea how to get the router to display the attached WLL 6100?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 07:37:40 AM »
I'm not exactly sure what you are asking by, "get the router to display... the WLL." Certainly the router has different places where it shows you connected devices on the network. But there are several places where this occurs and for different purposes.

You first mentioned wanting to set a DHCP IP address reservation. You now have the MAC address of the WLL. Simply enter the MAC address of the WLL into the DHCP IP address reservation table with the IP address that you wish to use and you should be done.
Tele-Pole

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 08:48:02 AM »
I'm not exactly sure what you are asking by, "get the router to display... the WLL." Certainly the router has different places where it shows you connected devices on the network. But there are several places where this occurs and for different purposes.

You first mentioned wanting to set a DHCP IP address reservation. You now have the MAC address of the WLL. Simply enter the MAC address of the WLL into the DHCP IP address reservation table with the IP address that you wish to use and you should be done.

Yes, I have entered the MAC address and IP number in the reservation table and that is done. However, while I'm in router administration I should be able to see the WLL device in the router's list of attached devices and it is not there.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2021, 12:46:11 PM »
Issue resolved. Turned out to be router acting funny about DHCP leases (needed restart) or maybe a combination of the WLL having been on the guest WiFi which it is now on the regular WiFi.
Tele-Pole

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2021, 06:58:31 PM »
Issue resolved. Turned out to be router acting funny about DHCP leases (needed restart) or maybe a combination of the WLL having been on the guest WiFi which it is now on the regular WiFi.

George, your expertise is much appreciated. I've learned a lot about networking, routers, and networking control.

Offline Sleuth255

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2021, 02:28:26 PM »
I gave my WLL a static IP to avoid having to mess with DHCP.  I'm not really a fan of making leases permanent.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2021, 04:19:15 PM »
I gave my WLL a static IP to avoid having to mess with DHCP.  I'm not really a fan of making leases permanent.
Well I think that is flawed thinking. You need to deal with the DHCP service even when you set a static IP to be sure that you don't end up with an IP conflict resulting from a DHCP assignment to a different device.

While I can understand that creating DHCP reservations may have its challenges if you are not comfortable logging into your router and settings things up. But I think it is rather trivial to jump in and merely enter in a MAC address of a device with the IP address that you want reserved for that given device.

On the contrary the alternative choice of setting a static IP on a device may seem more straight forward but then you'd best be diligent enough and make sure that you are using an IP address that is outside of the DHCP address scope that the router's DHCP service is using or you might end up with an IP address conflict. So the very reason for setting a static for fear to not needing to deal with the DHCP service is flawed thinking because you'd need to deal with the DHCP service in order to properly configure a static IP on a device (to at least look at the current scope range). So since you'll need to be dealing with the DHCP service regardless.....might as well just enter in the reservation. Because you are either entering in a reservation or you should be limiting the DHCP address scope for DHCP leases. Then when done properly you'll need to keep a manual log of your static IP devices as the router is possibly not going to show you these devices. Some modern routers do detect static set device and they will be smart enough to exclude their IP from the DHCP service...but it isn't uncommon for this to not be necessarily baked into the router's capabilities.

Most home routers have a default DHCP range of the entire subnet handing out addresses from .2 to .254. That leaves no room for a static assignment.

There is another downfall into setting a device with a static IP. And that is that if you ever change out your router and the new router uses a different IP address subnet then you'll have orphaned devices with the old address scheme that you will not be able to reach. You'll then have to either factory reset these device and reconfigure them as they will not respond to DHCP or you'll have to manually put one of your computers on that subnet address space in order to reach these devices so as to not lose other configuration settings to then move that device over to the new address space....and that can be challenging for some people. Therefore I think it would have been much less hassle to have kept everything on DHCP....and with reservations where needed. Having DHCP reservations ensures that you do not end up with and IP address conflict, it ensures that you will not have orphan devices from a network that no longer exists, and you'll have a nice table to refer to with a list of all the devices on the network that is dynamically updated.

There are a few reasons to use a static IP...but that should usually be reserved for critical network infrastructure systems....not common in a home network....other than the router itself....that is always static.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 04:22:51 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Sleuth255

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2021, 09:20:24 AM »
All valid points.  I'm a bit more knowledgeable on the IP protocol so I carefully control the subnets in use at my home (I have teenagers) and this includes reserving the first 50 IPs of my subnets for static use.   I do feel that if one knows enough about the protocol that they can understand the relationship between MAC and IP addresses to use ARP, followed by entering the data into their router, then they should also be knowledgeable enough to manage their entire home IP environment more effectively.  Reserving the low addresses for static use is one such method.  I've not seen a router that allows you to set a static DHCP that does not also allow you to change the DHCP address pool size.   

The amount of nefarious code out there ready to turn all those connected devices in your home into a BOT net (or worse) warrants reasonable diligence by people who also posses the skillset to assign static DHCP leases.  When you think about it, a static DHCP lease is no different from a static address other than the fact that you lose it when you switch routers, or even sometimes when your router firmware updates (I've had this happen personally with a Cisco router).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 09:29:49 AM by Sleuth255 »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2021, 10:12:14 AM »
Okay glad to hear. I just fret every time I hear someone say, "just set a static IP" as if that was the end all be all solution. To many people reading this forum if they come across advice that seems so simplistic as "just set a static IP" that would be incomplete advice and a recipe for disaster if they don't take the considerations you have to limit the DHCP address range scope. With that in mind I totally agree with what you said also.
Tele-Pole