Author Topic: Help!!!  (Read 1162 times)

Offline rlmarcum22

• East-Central Kentucky Weather
Help!!!
« on: August 06, 2020, 04:05:57 AM »
I need help with my weather-display.  Every time my computer goes to sleep it stops updating my website.  How can I fix this???? ](*,)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Help!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 05:36:30 AM »
What operating system is WD running on? It would simply be a matter to set the computer so that it doesn't go to sleep. You can tell it to turn off the screen, but to keep the operating system running.

Or you could run WD on a Raspberry Pi instead of on your computer.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline rlmarcum22

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 05:39:42 AM »
I am running it on my MacBook laptops I think the best idea would just to switch back to AWN to report data to my website :-(

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 05:58:03 AM »
Unfortunately the Mac doesn't have a very good way to keep the system running while allowing the display to turn off. That is unless you are willing to install some 3rd party software to give you more control. There are several methods.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-ways-keep-mac-from-sleeping/

Therefore you can try one of those methods or you can get the Raspberry Pi.
Tele-Pole

Offline rlmarcum22

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 06:02:48 AM »
Im afraid of the effect it will have on my laptop leaving it on all the time.  What is Raspberry Pi and how does it work?? :shock:

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 07:38:36 AM »
Your Mac should have no I'll effect from running 24/7. Some people argue that leaving a computer on is less stressful than the daily on/off cycling.

That said using your daily use computer for weather software has some risks and compromise. You need your computer to be there for everything else you do and a system crash or a software installation will require reboots. You compromise mobility if you are tethered to a USB logger. That is why a dedicated system for running weather software addresses many risks, compromises and concerns.

A dedicated weather system need not be a typical computer that takes up space, and consumes a bunch of power. A Raspberry Pi is a small single board computer with a powerful enough processor to run an operating system and run various programs. I recommend putting a Raspberry Pi inside of a Flirc case as it will keep it cool without need of a fan. You can manage this Raspberry Pi without need for a mouse and keyboard nor monitor plugged into it. It can be managed remotely via the network using your Mac (or any other computer). Then you can turn your Mac off and the Raspberry will keep running whatever you set up. That can be Weather-Display along with many other things like a Plex server for video for your home theater or home automation software or an ad blocker for your network like Pi-hole or many other things and it can do several of these things at once (within limits as it isn't a really powerful computer, but it is decent enough to do a few things at a time). Raspberry Pi computers are so economical that many people have more than one. The Raspberry Pi has a great  amount of popularity that there are tons of people available to help in various forums. There are a ton of websites with how to documentation and there are a ton of YouTube videos. It is easy to get going with it. It runs the Linux operating system with a version designed just for it called Raspberry Pi OS (previously called Raspbian). But don't let that deter you. It has a nice easy graphical display and sure you might need to copy or type some commands into the command prompt sometimes but all that will be just by following whatever guides and instructions you have for the task at hand.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 07:48:02 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 06:45:21 PM »
if your Mac is asleep, then WD will be asleep and will not be able to update anything
so the solution is to not let your PC go to sleep :)