Author Topic: WS-5000 vs WS-2000 Ambient Weather Stations  (Read 17340 times)

Offline WeatherEnthusiastNZ

WS-5000 vs WS-2000 Ambient Weather Stations
« on: January 02, 2020, 09:11:26 PM »
WS-5000 vs WS-2000 Ambient Weather Stations

I apologize in advance for my errors, this is my first post on wxform which I'm exited to do in hopes of being helpful. I often find comparisons between different weather stations super helpful. Much the same to a website I love called "userbenchmark" for making tons of info publicly available info (they use direct data) which serves the interest of people interested in buying products. It clears up confusion, and provides clarity on products, helping buyers to chose the best option and thus causes better products to excel in sales, increasing competition between companies to speed up development of higher quality products.

This is a comparison of the two models based on what I've read. I was quite excited to see it has been released, as I really like the Ambient Weather Station range (I have not done much research into other key Weather Station such as Davis, AcuRite, LaCrosse, Ecowitt etc. In words of Ambient "the [WS-5000 is] the most sophisticated home and light industrial weather station we have ever created". It originally said on the WS-5000 page, "ETA Winter 2020" (which I took it as late 2020, but turns out it was released in Jan 2020). The WS-5000 has just been released publicly (no longer as beta) and has come back in stock as at the 1 Jan 2020 (people who had notifications for it where sent an email).

The WS-5000 & WS-2000 are both very high quality top of the range Ambient Weather Stations.

Things that are the same between WS-2000 & WS-5000:
They both measure wind speed, direction, rainfall, temperature, humidity, UV and Solar Radiation from the outdoor sensor array, and barometric pressure, humidity and temperature from the indoor sensor.
They both support up to 8 Thermo-Hygrometer Sensors (WH31)
They both use the same Console/Tablet to display the info.
Wunderground.com Features
AmbientWeather.net Features
Weather Station Features (except those that are listed in differences)
Specifications (except those that are listed in differences)
Power Specifications (except the rain gauge difference)
Dimensions
Other Features
WiFi Specifications

Subtle (to me at least) differences:
WS-2000 costs $252.99 USD
Wireless all-in-one integrated sensor array measures wind speed, wind direction, temperature, humidity, wind speed, wind direction, rainfall, UV and solar radiation.
915 MHz RF wireless transmission with 300' line of sight range (100' under most conditions, with the exception of metal barriers)
16 second real-time updates on the display tablet
60 second updates on AmbientWeather.net. 16 second updates on Wunderground.com (including Wind Speed & Wind Gust calculation)
Rain Range: 0 to 394 in.
Rain Accuracy: ± 10%
Wind Direction Accuracy: ± 1º
Wind Speed Range: 0 to 100 mph (operational)
Wind Speed Accuracy: ± 2.2 mph or 10% (whichever is greater)
You can buy a Rainspike bird kit for $14.49 USD with it

WS-5000 costs $299.99 USD
Wireless integrated ultrasonic sensor array measures wind speed, wind direction, temperature, humidity, wind speed, wind direction, UV and solar radiation
Wireless rain gauge (1 x AA battery (Ultimate Lithium Energizer recommended, alkaline OK)
915 MHz RF wireless transmission with 1,000' line of sight range (300' under most conditions, with the exception of metal barriers)
4.9 second real-time updates on the display tablet real-time updates on the display tablet
60 second updates on AmbientWeather.net. 4.9 second updates on Wunderground.com (including Wind Speed & Wind Gust calculation)
Rain Range: 0 to 236 in.
Rain Accuracy: ± 5%
Wind Direction Accuracy: ± 5º
Wind Speed Range: 0 to 89 mph (operational)
Wind Speed Accuracy: < 22 mph, +/- 1 mph, ≥ 22 mph, +/-5%

Pros of WS-5000:
Bigger rain cup, so has better accuracy (within 5% rather than within 10% with the WS-2000)
No moving wind parts to wear out
The integrated thermo-hygrometer sensor includes a passive radiation shield design that results in accurate temperature and humidity (which the WS-2000 doesn't have)
Increased range of 300 feet vs 100 feet with the WS-2000
Updates every 4.9 seconds vs 16 seconds with the WS-2000
Better Wind Speed Accuracy (see differences for more detail)
Sensors under development and available in 2020 are lightning, indoor PM2.5 and VOC air quality, soil temperature and moisture, and more. (The pro is that lots of sensors are coming, the con is that lots of those sensors aren't yet available. But depending on when you read this article, they may all be now available)
Is only $46.01 USD more expensive than the WS-2000

Summery: Range, No Moving Wind Parts, Extra Sensors, 4.9 Second Updates, & being the Most Recent Model (perhaps longer support) are the biggest Pros.

Pros of WS-2000
Better rain range 0 to 394 in. vs 0 to 236 in. for the WS-5000
Has better wind direction accuracy 1% vs 5% for the WS-5000
Better Wind Speed Range of 0 to 100 mph vs 0 to 89 mph for the WS-5000
Is $46.01 USD cheaper than the WS-5000

Unknowns:
The WS-5000 will be getting a lighting monitor, this has not yet (as at 3 Jan 2020) been announced if the WS-2000 will be getting this also.
Sensors under development and available in 2020 for the WS-5000... soil temperature and moisture, and more.
When the optional heater (only affects wind speed if temperature is under 32 °F / 0 °C) for the WS-5000 will be released, currently is not available as at Q1 2020.
Unknown

For full product specifications:
WS-2000
https://www.ambientweather.com/amws2000.html

WS-5000
https://www.ambientweather.com/amws5000.html

I will update this post as I find more information or am corrected on mistakes that I will have made. (As at 3 Jan 2020)

Offline Platokidd

• top side land of Lincoln
  • Forecaster
Re: WS-5000 vs WS-2000 Ambient Weather Stations
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 09:51:43 PM »
Nice job comparing the two pws. I've been please with my ws-2000 thus far.
Ambient
1-WS-5000 1-WS-2902A 2-WS40/RAIN 1-WH31L 
1-METEOBRIDGE 1-PM2.5 (WH41B) 3-WH31 1-SRX100LX

ECOWITT
2-HP2550 2-HP2560 2-GW2000 2-GW1100
2-WS68 1-WS80 1-WH32EP 10-WH31 1-WH40
1-HP10 2-WH45 4-WH55 5-WH51
1-WN30 1-WH41

1-DAVIS 7714
1-STRATUS
1-Fisher Barometer 1436R-22
PWS at 2 locations.
1- Storm Sensor-Zelda the dog ;)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 10:00:45 PM »
The first thing to realize is that the WS-2000 and WS-5000 are more the same than they may appear. The consoles are exactly the same. You can upgrade a WS-2000 display console into supporting the sonic anemometer just by getting that part separately. That is if Ambient will sell it separately. I'm sure they will at some point sell it separately if not right away, as most parts for all their stations are available as replacement parts. The other difference in the rain gauge follows the same premise. You don't have to upgrade both wind and rain parts. You can create a hybrid and keep using other parts of the Osprey all-in-one sensor array.

What I've said is at least according to what we know of the Ecowitt HP2551 and the HP2553 kits and their consoles (which are the same thing). Which means you can turn any one complete kit into the other by just getting the parts you want. You can even create custom configurations by contacting Ecowitt and asking them for exactly what you want. For example you can have an HP2551 display with the HP3501 sensors (and not use the HP3501 display console). Possibilities are what ever you want as you can have as many consoles as you want and all the sensors work with the HP2551-C display console.

What this means is that no sensor will be exclusive to the WS-5000 compared to the WS-2000....including future ones like lightning and water leak and soil moisture...etc. (* I think, unless...)

But we all know how Ambient likes to sometimes play games with firmware alterations. I hope they don't but they could if they wanted ship the WS-5000 so that the sonic anemometer only works with the display they ship for it. Meaning if Ambient wanted to play dirty then they could make it so that the WS-2000 display console never works with the sonic anemometer. All I'm saying is that until we know for sure if it will be like the HP2551 and HP2553 then we just don't really know.

UPDATE: I got word from Ambient. The WS-5000 uses the same exact display console as the WS-2000. That is good news. It means you'll be able to use the WS-2000 display with the WS80 sensor and WH40 rain gauge. But the requirement is that you update the firmware on the WS-2000 to support these new sensors. They will not be differentiating the consoles with different firmware.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 01:50:14 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 10:46:00 PM »
The first thing to realize is that the WS-2000 and WS-5000 are more the same than they may appear. The consoles are exactly the same. You can upgrade a WS-2000 display console into supporting the sonic anemometer just by getting that part separately. That is if Ambient will sell it separately. I'm sure they will at some point sell it separately if not right away, as most parts for all their stations are available as replacement parts. The other difference in the rain gauge follows the same premise. You don't have to upgrade both wind and rain parts. You can create a hybrid and keep using other parts of the Osprey all-in-one sensor array.

Yea, they are indeed very similar. You will probably be right about Ambient selling it separately, in which case it will be interchangeable with some of the different models. Perhaps even be able to use the sonic anemometer to the WS-2902A console. I wonder how much of an improvement the WS-5000 sonic anemometer will be vs the WS-2000 wind sensor, if it would be worth upgrading. I doubt it will be a huge difference. Although I do like the idea of it not wearing out, and that when people buy the WS-5000 (with the sonic anemometer) they don't need to worry about how tight to tighten the screw (for the WS-2000 wind sensor) which determines how fast or slow it can move. Having it slightly too tight or loose could lead to results that are not quite accurate regarding wind speed. Indeed hybrid stations with it will be possible.

What I've said is at least according to what we know of the Ecowitt HP2551 and the HP2553 kits and their consoles (which are the same thing). Which means you can turn any one complete kit into the other by just getting the parts you want. You can even create custom configurations by contacting Ecowitt and asking them for exactly what you want. For example you can have an HP2551 display with the HP3501 sensors (and not use the HP3501 display console). Possibilities are what ever you want as you can have as many consoles as you want and all the sensors work with the HP2551-C display console.

What this means is that no sensor will be exclusive to the WS-5000 compared to the WS-2000....including future ones like lightning and water leak and soil moisture...etc. (* I think, unless...)

Good points, I didn't think of that. I do wonder what % of WS-2000 owners will make the switch and buy a WS-5000 vs those who just buy the lightning and soil moisture additions when they come out for the WS-5000 (and possibly/probably for the WS-2000). I doubt many will get the sonic anemometer as they already have a wind sensor as part of the in-built all(although not all the new sensors)-in-one WS-2000 sensor array.

But we all know how Ambient likes to sometimes play games with firmware alterations. I hope they don't but they could if they wanted ship the WS-5000 so that the sonic anemometer only works with the display they ship for it. Meaning if Ambient wanted to play dirty then they could make it so that the WS-2000 display console never works with the sonic anemometer. All I'm saying is that until we know for sure if it will be like the HP2551 and HP2553 then we just don't really know.

True, I never thought of that. It's nice if their is much customization between the stations to suite peoples needs. Although as of now (without the additional lighting, etc sensors released for the WS-5000), unless buying a new station, the WS-2000 is a perfectly suitable option for everyone who already has it and buying a WS-5000 would probably not make sense for WS-2000 owners, as it provides little additional benefits (with the exception of range, but for many people that won't be a deal-breaker as 100 feet probably suites most people).

But someone who has a WS-2902A and is looking to upgrade, and everyone buying a new $250-$300 USD weather station, the WS-5000 would make more sense to get than the WS-2000 and would be a great option to buy, as like the WS-2000 pre WS-5000s release, in my view.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 11:06:31 PM »
I wonder how much of an improvement the WS-5000 sonic anemometer will be vs the WS-2000 wind sensor, if it would be worth upgrading. I doubt it will be a huge difference. Although I do like the idea of it not wearing out
There are plenty of other threads discussing the WS80 (sonic anemometer). Search for it. It is the same thing. Several people are testing it and talking about it.

[...] and that when people buy the WS-5000 (with the sonic anemometer) they don't need to worry about how tight to tighten the screw (for the WS-2000 wind sensor) which determines how fast or slow it can move.
Nope nope nope. That is not how it works. You can tighten the screw as tight as you want....and I suggest making it as tight as possible without breaking the part, so that it doesn't fly off. What you are tightening against is an axle which is connected to a bearing. A car's wheels don't turn slower if you tighten them more or less.

Having it slightly too tight or loose could lead to results that are not quite accurate regarding wind speed. Indeed hybrid stations with it will be possible.
nope see previous

Good points, I didn't think of that. I do wonder what % of WS-2000 owners will make the switch and buy a WS-5000 vs those who just buy the lightning and soil moisture additions when they come out for the WS-5000 (and possibly/probably for the WS-2000). I doubt many will get the sonic anemometer as they already have a wind sensor as part of the in-built all(although not all the new sensors)-in-one WS-2000 sensor array.
I don't think any WS-2000 owner should necessarily buy a WS-5000. Just get the WS80 if that is what they are interested in. And they can get the WH40 if they are interested in the better rain gauge. Or if they do get a complete WS-5000 then they can sell their old WS-2000 or gift it. If Ambient limits the capabilities of the WS-2000 display then I would suggest they get an Ecowitt HP2553 so that they don't get burned twice. I hope that Ambient does the right thing and leaves well enough alone and treats the WS-5000 console as the same device as the WS-2000 display console. The ball is in their court. The consumer gets the ultimate say with their wallet, and we have options.
True, I never thought of that. It's nice if their is much customization between the stations to suite peoples needs. Although as of now (without the additional lighting, etc sensors released for the WS-5000), unless buying a new station, the WS-2000 is a perfectly suitable option for everyone who already has it and buying a WS-5000 would probably not make sense for WS-2000 owners, as it provides little additional benefits (with the exception of range, but for many people that won't be a deal-breaker as 100 feet probably suites most people).
Added range in the sensors and the consoles is something the Fine Offset / Ecowitt have been working on. Recently they release a new GW1000 that doubled the range and they still kept calling it a GW1000. I also know that the first generation soil sensors had limited range and that is why Ambient never carried them (heard it myself directly from Ed). So if you now buy the Ecowitt GW1000 you get the better one. The same would then be true likely for any new WS-2000 eventually (unless there is a backlog of old inventory).
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 11:13:14 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 11:55:03 PM »

There are plenty of other threads discussing the WS80 (sonic anemometer). Search for it. It is the same thing. Several people are testing it and talking about it.

I didn't know about that. Thanks for letting me know.

Nope nope nope. That is not how it works. You can tighten the screw as tight as you want....and I suggest making it as tight as possible without breaking the part, so that it doesn't fly off. What you are tightening against is an axle which is connected to a bearing. A car's wheels don't turn slower if you tighten them more or less.

My Mistake.

I don't think any WS-2000 owner should necessarily buy a WS-5000. Just get the WS80 if that is what they are interested in. And they can get the WH40 if they are interested in the better rain gauge. Or if they do get a complete WS-5000 then they can sell their old WS-2000 or gift it. If Ambient limits the capabilities of the WS-2000 display then I would suggest they get an Ecowitt HP2553 so that they don't get burned twice. I hope that Ambient does the right thing and leaves well enough alone and treats the WS-5000 console as the same device as the WS-2000 display console. The ball is in their court. The consumer gets the ultimate say with their wallet, and we have options.

Good points.

Added range in the sensors and the consoles is something the Fine Offset / Ecowitt have been working on. Recently they release a new GW1000 that doubled the range and they still kept calling it a GW1000. I also know that the first generation soil sensors had limited range and that is why Ambient never carried them (heard it myself directly from Ed). So if you now buy the Ecowitt GW1000 you get the better one. The same would then be true likely for any new WS-2000 eventually (unless there is a backlog of old inventory).

Interesting to know. Thanks for your info.

Offline Eno

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 01:36:08 PM »
When I managed a few RAWS stations a few years ago, we got rid of an ultrasonic anemometer in favor of a mechanical one.  I don't remember what the problem was, maybe it was just the freezing moisture issue but probably today's ultrasonic anemometers are better. 

Well, I've been ready to upgrade my WS-1001 so it'll be either the WS-2000 or WS-5000.  Just to give everybody a laugh I'll be honest about what may tip the decision - I like to see the cups of the traditional anemometer spin in the wind!   :lol:

Offline LEB

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2020, 11:37:45 AM »
Reading posts on AW FB forum, it looks like AW is going to sell the 5000 unit bundled with the display, ie making firmware changes to customize it.  I personally don't like a display sitting on my desktop and why I bought the Observer IP and also have the Meteobridge. I am having issues with my rain collector with birds and dirt, so perhaps the ultrasonic rain collector makes sense to me, but if it does not integrate with the OIP, then I won't make the move. As stated above,  AW seem to listen to customers so hopefully they will start making the 5000 compatible with OIP and other displays.

Offline Ken7

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2020, 11:50:45 AM »
A stated temperature accuracy on the WS-5000 of +/- 2 degrees F is not particularly good when other units are within +/- .5 degrees. Are they simply being very overly conservative in their specs or is the sensor just not as accurate as some others?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2020, 12:03:40 PM »
Reading posts on AW FB forum, it looks like AW is going to sell the 5000 unit bundled with the display, ie making firmware changes to customize it.  I personally don't like a display sitting on my desktop and why I bought the Observer IP and also have the Meteobridge. I am having issues with my rain collector with birds and dirt, so perhaps the ultrasonic rain collector makes sense to me, but if it does not integrate with the OIP, then I won't make the move. As stated above,  AW seem to listen to customers so hopefully they will start making the 5000 compatible with OIP and other displays.

The ObserverIP is an old dog. When paring the ObserverIP with the Meteobridge it is just very unreliable. I would recommend you get an Ecowitt GW1000 and use that with your Meteobridge instead. It is just about $34 (after built-in coupon) on Amazon it will be compatible with your existing setup (915 MHz is the version sold on Amazon.com).  The GW1000 is compatible with all the sensors. So the ObserverIP just doesn't matter anymore.
Tele-Pole

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2020, 12:07:05 PM »

Very unlikely as the ObserverIP is pretty much obsolete now and considered legacy.
If you want the Ultrasonic Anemometer (not rain collector) - WS80 and the equivalent functionality of the ObserverIP then you need to purchase a GW1000
I am not aware of FineOffset/Ecowitt developing a ultrasonic rain collector but I will check.

It wont be down to AmbientWeather as this is a rebadged FineOffset station/Equipment.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2020, 08:34:27 AM »
"Unknowns:
The WS-5000 will be getting a lighting monitor, this has not yet (as at 3 Jan 2020) been announced if the WS-2000 will be getting this also.
Sensors under development and available in 2020 for the WS-5000... soil temperature and moisture, and more.
When the optional heater (only affects wind speed if temperature is under 32 °F / 0 °C) for the WS-5000 will be released, currently is not available as at Q1 2020."

An update as at 6 Sep 2020. First of all, I am very honored that this (my first) post has gained 2370 views so far. It concerns me to have had that much influence as it probably influenced some peoples buying decision, I hope that what I said was fair and accurate. This article ranks 1st on Google for the search term (ws-2000 vs ws-5000) which is probably how many of you reading this, found this post.

Regarding if the WS-2000 will be getting a Lightning Monitor. As at June 2020 the both got it. So both WS-2000 and WS-5000 support a lightning monitor.
The soil temperature/moisture sensors (you can add up to 8) have been released for both WS-2000 and WS-5000.
As at 6 Sep 2020, the optional heater is still not available for the WS-5000. On the website is says "NOTE: The optional heater is not available (Q4 2020)."

Also my opinion on WS-2000 vs WS-5000. They are both fantastic options, either should do a great job. And as galfert said "The first thing to realize is that the WS-2000 and WS-5000 are more the same than they may appear." The WS-2000 was released in 2018, and the WS-5000 in 2020, but they are both very similar. I would guess that the support life for both of them will be equal as they run on the same firmware and both continue to be sold as at 6 Sep 2020.

I hope you have a fantastic day!

Offline Ken7

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2020, 09:00:10 AM »
The only problem is that the WS5000 is out of stock and has been out of stock for many months. As of a few days ago, they still really have no idea when this system will be back in stock.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2020, 09:32:55 AM »
The WS-5000 and WS-2000 display consoles are exactly the same part. You can buy a WS-2000 station and then add the WS-5000 separate components and then you have essentially created a WS-5000 (or the other way around). To say that they run the same firmware is an understatement. Therefore any sensor that is compatible with one is compatible with the other. The point of this thread should only be in the merits of comparing the sensors.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 09:35:30 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Ken7

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2020, 09:42:10 AM »
But if you're buying the WS-5000 to get an ultrasonic wind sensor & wireless rain gauge, those can't be added by simply ordering the WS-2000/WS-5000 display. The critical component of the WS-5000, the ultrasonic wind sensor, can't even be ordered seperately because it too is out of stock. Additionally, the wireless range gauge is also out of stock. So the only part of the WS-5000 that is in stock is the display. This out-of-stock scenario has been going on for many months.

So I really don't see that as any kind of solution.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 09:48:59 AM by Ken7 »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2020, 10:12:31 AM »
The same thing happened when the WS-2000 was released. I had a WS-2902A and I wanted to upgrade to the WS-2000 display and it wasn't available. I had to wait several months. I could surely have bought a complete WS-2000 but I didn't want to end up with an extra Osprey sensor array. Finally the WS-2000 display console was then made available separately. The same thing will happen with the WS-5000 and getting spare parts for it.
Tele-Pole

Offline modean987

• What the heck am I getting myself into?
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2020, 10:56:08 AM »
The only problem is that the WS5000 is out of stock and has been out of stock for many months. As of a few days ago, they still really have no idea when this system will be back in stock.

I inquired about this yesterday (2020-09-04). I specifically asked about the WS80 Array, and Anthony responded that it will not be available until the end of October.

Offline Ken7

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2020, 12:49:15 PM »
Keep in mind that the in stock date has slipped continuously. I’ve been given 3 different dates every time I’ve called, each one later and later. I’m convinced they have no idea. It’s when it’s in.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2020, 02:05:29 PM »
The date kept slipping on the WS-2000 display console also.
Tele-Pole

Offline Jai Soone

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2020, 12:53:44 AM »
FYI, the major parts of the WS-5000 are by Ambient Weather Item #:
WS-5000-CONSOLE-AC
WS-5000-RAIN
WS-5000-ARRAY
WH32B

The "Ambient Weather WS-5000 Wi-Fi Ultrasonic Solar Powered Wireless Weather Station User Manual"
is available in file "WS-5000.pdf" that you can download.

As of 2020-09-06 04:35:12 UTC the WS-5000-CONSOLE-AC is listed as in stock, but everything else is out of stock.

Interestingly, the suffix "-AC" has just been added to both the WS-5000-CONSOLE and WS-5000-CONSOLE Item numbers, I guess to make it clear the these consoles come with an AC adapter, so that one doesn't have to order a WS-1000-AC-ADAPTER separately.

My observation is that parts for the WS-5000 and the WS-5000 itself go in and out of stock rather quickly on their web site, but that might not represent real avaalibility.

Offline funsutton

• Contributor
    • Weather Underground
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2020, 02:13:51 AM »
Ironically, the heater for Ultrasonic Sensor Array IS in stock and I bought one already. I would have thought the Ultrasonic Sensor Array would have been in stock before the heater. 🤪

So now I impatiently await the array to come in stock so I can complete my modularization. DAMN THIS COVID NIGHTMARE!

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2020, 11:18:54 AM »
You think that they'd lose so much business by having many many months of multiple items (the WS-2000 and WS-5000 are their mother-ships, the frontiers, their top of the line up of their smart Weather Stations). It seems so unfortunately to have these items out of stock for such a long time. You think that they'd make far more of them before release, rather than them running entirely out of stock within hours/days/weeks of their release. The "Ambient Weather WH31L Lightning Detector for Models WS-2000, WS-5000" is also out of stock, and it was just released in July. Over the last few months, people would probably either be buying the WS-2000, WS-2902 or just not buying a Weather Station from Ambient.*

*Or buying the WS-5000, but currently without the ability to buy new parts if they were to break.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 11:37:54 AM by WeatherEnthusiastNZ »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2020, 12:03:12 PM »
I think it might just be a good business strategy to maximize profit to not have spare part available upon introduction of a new model. This increases revenue by forcing people to buy a complete station (higher cost) for anyone considering the upgrade to the new sensor. There are going to to some in the customer base that might splurge and be early adopters regardless of price. That is always the case. You can see this practice in many different products. First you have limited availability, or only the high end model first and then later you see a lower model or spare parts become available after you have squeezed out all the potential profit from the early adopters that pay anything. It could also not necessarily be deliberate but just the fact that it takes time to prepare for the launch of a new product and then later you focus on spare parts.

Tele-Pole

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2020, 08:33:46 PM »
Do you think that there main audience is Weather Enthusiast (people who already own a station) or people who have never bought a Weather Station?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2020, 09:47:29 PM »
I have no idea, but if I had to guess I would say most sales are to people getting their first station.
Tele-Pole

anything