Author Topic: CWOP through Access  (Read 5838 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: CWOP through Access
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2019, 09:42:10 PM »
When (and if) Acurite decides to "flip the switch", it will be an easy "out-of-box" experience, including the installed base.

I'm sure they have contingency plans if wunderground goes belly-up.

Again, they are far more aware of what's going on than some people here think.

I 100% agree. It is of little effort for Acurite to add other services if WU goes belly-up. The Access is no different than any other weather software that continually add new online services as they become available. Look how fast Windy.com got added to just about all weather software (just a few days time). Acuparse was not informed after a few weeks of Windy.com being active. I sent an email, had a bit of back and forth with the developer and it was done a few days later as people on Windy.com forum were asking for this. It was of no benefit to me but I got involved to help Acurite users on the Windy.com forum.

I have no horse in this race. I'm not biased toward any hardware manufacture. I want them all to succeed and I want all users to be happy with their purchase.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2019, 09:55:08 PM »
Which is why I've mentioned the present day PWS heavies perhaps becoming endangered clinging to their proprietary architectures and schemes. You remember how the PC industry got shaken out way back when [~1980's on].

Yup...totally. Remember Compuserv, Prodigy, GEnie and how you could only email to other people if you were on the same online service? Then came the Internet and they added connectivity between services for email. But then they stopped being relevant because something better came out...AOL. But then years later AOL too became irrelevant. I'm all for industry standards. Shame we don't have that for weather hardware.
Tele-Pole

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2019, 10:01:22 PM »
When (and if) Acurite decides to "flip the switch", it will be an easy "out-of-box" experience, including the installed base.

So, have they already worked out the additional development? If so, why not release it?
Ah, the catch is probably in 'monetizing' it. Shades of the smarthub "Massacre at AcuRite Gulch" [to quote myself, heh]. If they try to set the hook too hard, this fish won't ever bite again.

I haven't even taken my Access out of the box yet, and have no idea of its' architecture. Maybe it is a flexible, adaptable Pi/NUC-type system, if so they shouldn't be hiding it, imo.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2019, 10:14:58 PM »

So, have they already worked out the additional development? If so, why not release it?
Ah, the catch is probably in 'monetizing' it. Shades of the smarthub "Massacre at AcuRite Gulch" [to quote myself, heh]. If they try to set the hook too hard, this fish won't ever bite again.

I haven't even taken my Access out of the box yet, and have no idea of its' architecture. Maybe it is a flexible, adaptable Pi/NUC-type system, if so they shouldn't be hiding it, imo.

It's not a Pi or NUC.  No need for all that kind of overhead, but it certainly has plenty of resources for the task, particularly compared to the SmartHUB.

Teardown photos were posted here some time ago. 

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2019, 10:18:32 PM »
I sometimes get criticized for speculating. But when things don't happen they way you want and there is not enough communication from the company then speculating is just the same as speaking out loud and sharing what you are already thinking. And all of it is probably the same thing other people are also thinking. So by sharing you just are forming a consensus and looking for camaraderie. Not the same as spreading lies because an opinion by nature comes with a disclaimer that it is just that an opinion and not based on fact or evidence. It is how I feel by lack of information.

So my thoughts on why Acurite has not expanded the use of the Access to publish an API or add more online services.

• If they add more services then they have to support them. This is added cost in many ways.
  • If they add API for 3rd party software then they also need to support this and it cannibalizes their online services. We would argue it doesn't...but that is what I think they think.
  • They may see no value in any other service than theirs and WU. Everyone sends to WU....if you send data there why would you need to send it anywhere else?
  • They may have done market research and I'm willing to bet most people only know of WU. Most people have not heard of CWOP, PWSweather, WeatherCloud, etc....etc.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 10:23:00 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2019, 10:28:13 PM »
Which is why I've mentioned the present day PWS heavies perhaps becoming endangered clinging to their proprietary architectures and schemes. You remember how the PC industry got shaken out way back when [~1980's on].

Yup...totally. Remember Compuserv, Prodigy, GEnie and how you could only email to other people if you were on the same online service? Then came the Internet and they added connectivity between services for email. But then they stopped being relevant because something better came out...AOL. But then years later AOL too became irrelevant. I'm all for industry standards. Shame we don't have that for weather hardware.

I pre-date all that stuff [but later used some of it, esp. AOL...], was sending 'email' and doing 'other' stuff on a private net from the early '70's.
I hope they come up with some WX standards, if not somebody else just may eat their lunch, dinner, and supper.
There is certainly a growing worldwide demand for WX data: "Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way."

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2019, 11:02:38 PM »

It's not a Pi or NUC.  No need for all that kind of overhead, but it certainly has plenty of resources for the task, particularly compared to the SmartHUB.

Teardown photos were posted here some time ago.

I sort of figured that. I'm still trying to hack my now Seagate bricked "Lyve" box. It's got Pi's and NUC's all beat for 'coolness'. One whole face is a nice display screen [can't remember if a touchscreen], and with wifi, ethernet, usb, etc.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2019, 11:19:01 PM »
Chumby was another cool device that got hacked yet didn't last long after.

Interesting how we now have Amazon Echo Show and Google Nest Hub but it was Chumby that led the way.
Tele-Pole

anything