Author Topic: Has Texas Weather Instruments gone out of business?  (Read 8761 times)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Has Texas Weather Instruments gone out of business?
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2020, 06:34:36 PM »
Nonetheless, I have found an oil that is for clocks and such that is very good, doesn't get stiff with age or weather, and might be a chance to keep your unit running.  Is your sensor easy or relatively so to get to?  Did you disassemble the whole plastic head and lube it, or just put a drop on the shaft and let it run down in?
Using certain lubes outdoors on sensitive equipment can eventually cause more problems than it solves if it collects the particulates in the air. If a lube is used, I highly suggest a 'dirt/dust' free dry lube. Personally, on my VP2 anny, I merely clean it with CRC, never lubricate.

Offline Sparky2990

• Nederland Weather
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2020, 11:03:50 AM »
I was able to replace the bearings in my TWI wind speed sensor so it's back to happy operation, no oil used :-)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2020, 11:16:20 AM »
Sparky:   Glad to hear that.

As for the insight given by CD2274, I often forget that I live in God's country, with pure running streams, gentle soft rains, fragrant meadows and forests, and little or no dust, and certainly no long harsh summers with plastic being degraded by sunlight.

I have always subscribed to the idea of if a little is good, it's good.  I know some who slather gallons of stuff on everything in their path, but a good friend who fixes clocks uses a tiny tipped needle on the end of a micro syringe (called a TB syringe, I think) to just touch a wee bit of lube to the bearings in question.  A small bottle has lasted him decades.

But again, if you get dust or abrasives blown about by the wind, it will turn into cutting slurry.

I recall a relatively new rental car we had getting caught in a high wind dust storm and as we pulled over because we couldn't see the road, wondered how this was different from a sandblaster on the windshield and finish of the vehicle.

Glad it's working and I read the comments to become more educated and appreciate learning  how things are different from where I live.
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Kev

« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2021, 05:16:17 PM »
As I'm many times older than my TWI stuff, I cannot recall but there was a wind sensor that looked exactly like the TWI units, but I've not seen that in awhile and cannot recall what off-brand it was, and there is no way to know if it would be compatible or not.

TWI actually built a bunch of stuff, including the displays and guts for a school project that was in the east part of the US, and I see the light oak finished display boards for sale on eBay now and then, but without the guts to run them, completely useless.

Dale, I believe you are remembering the old Dallas and AAG "One-Wire" wind booms.  Those had the TWI housings, but the boards used inside were reed switches, not optical.  And the other you mention that was made by TWI is of course the old Automated Weather Source WeatherNet systems, later made under the WeatherBug moniker. Nice systems, you can still occasionally find them complete on eBay, but never with the sensors.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 05:18:05 PM by Kev »
Heath ID-5001-C Advanced Weather Computer (1990)
Texas Weather Instruments WR-25 (1998)

Offline amino1958

« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2021, 06:24:43 PM »
Hi All,

**** Posted this earlier - UPDATE -   ****

I have PLENTY of parts for the Texas Weather Instruments WR-25 WPS-10 station and I have put them on ebay for sale. We used to be an OEM for their weather stations and we are no longer doing that and getting rid of our inventory. I have brand new WPS-10 processor boxes - $80 each , and a few used sensors - T/H, Rain, Wind, Junction Boxes. Selling everything AS-IS at rock bottom prices.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Texas-Weather-Instruments-TWI-Weather-Processing-System-WPS-10-BRAND-NEW/264890762279

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Texas-Weather-Instruments-WPS-WR-25-Weather-Station-0-01-Rain-Gauge/265031390820

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Texas-Weather-Instruments-WPS-WR-25-Weather-Station-Wind-Vane-Sensor-Anemometer/265031397217

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Texas-Weather-Instruments-WPS-WR-25-Weather-Station-Outdoor-Junction-Box/265031403949

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Texas-Weather-Instruments-WPS-WR-25-Weather-Station-Temperature-Humidity-Sensor/265031384992

*****  Just Added   **** T/H sensor with compact radiation shield  ***

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Texas-Weather-Instruments-WPS-WR-25-Weather-Station-Temperature-Humidity-Sensor/265033135756?hash=item3db534b68c:g:gnMAAOSwZpdgFN3k

« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 07:22:24 AM by amino1958 »

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2021, 09:13:05 AM »
As I'm many times older than my TWI stuff, I cannot recall but there was a wind sensor that looked exactly like the TWI units, but I've not seen that in awhile and cannot recall what off-brand it was, and there is no way to know if it would be compatible or not.

TWI actually built a bunch of stuff, including the displays and guts for a school project that was in the east part of the US, and I see the light oak finished display boards for sale on eBay now and then, but without the guts to run them, completely useless.

Dale, I believe you are remembering the old Dallas and AAG "One-Wire" wind booms.  Those had the TWI housings, but the boards used inside were reed switches, not optical.  And the other you mention that was made by TWI is of course the old Automated Weather Source WeatherNet systems, later made under the WeatherBug moniker. Nice systems, you can still occasionally find them complete on eBay, but never with the sensors.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I had these stations from 1998 until 2011. At some point, don't remember the exact year, the next door neighbor's tree came down in a windstorm and clobbered the station. My first one was right from Dallas Semiconductor. It was used to showcase their One-Wire chips. DalSemi discontinued it and I replaced it with the AAG.

I don't know if the AAG housings were TWI or just a clone, but the DalSemi housings for both the rain gauge and wind set were definitely from TWI.

I rebuilt the remaining set and put new bearings in before giving it to my SIL, who passed it on to his cousin when I got him a Davis.

They were built like the proverbial tank (despite not surviving the tree, but show me anything that would have..). The only drawback to the DalSemi/AAG was that the temperature sensor would pick up too much insolation and run higher than actual ambient. I went with another One-Wire sensor, in an aspirated enclosure which gave much better results.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Maxdaxtax

« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2022, 02:58:03 AM »
If the company goes bankrupt, you will not be able to contact them to repair your equipment. The easiest way will be to repair the equipment from the master. Honestly, I didn't hear that Texas Weather went bankrupt. Perhaps they have suspended their activities in your state.  The world of business and finance is quite complex. I started studying finance three years ago, and it took me a long time to understand all the terms and techniques. I couldn't even find a job for a long time, but thanks to wallstreetoasis.com and their advice, I passed the interview.  I hope that you will be able to repair your equipment.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 08:29:08 AM by Maxdaxtax »

anything