Author Topic: Is there a way to use a RM Young Anemometer without Davis 6336  (Read 150 times)

Offline fkapp

• Senior Contributor
Is there a way to use a RM Young Anemometer without Davis 6336
« on: October 13, 2021, 06:37:29 PM »
I am looking at anemometer options for VP2 and read that with the Davis 6336 which is discontinued :( there is option to use RM Young.

With the 6336 discontinued is there a way to do this, or do I need to watch for and hope a 6336 becomes available at some point?

Thanks
  Frank

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: Is there a way to use a RM Young Anemometer without Davis 6336
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 08:18:51 PM »
Going to be hard pressed to find a 6336

Following link has some discussion re an RM Young interface board.

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=42145.msg431103#msg431103

Other than that then there are quite a few Davis compatible Ultrasonic options out there now including Davis's own Ultrasonic

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 03:10:59 AM »
Other than that then there are quite a few Davis compatible Ultrasonic options out there now including Davis's own Ultrasonic

As an aside (I can see the OP is really asking about RM Young), the Davis ultrasonic is actually the French LCJ Davis-compatible one (slightly modified at Davis's request AIUI, simply for easier maintenance, ie battery replacement). We've had the LCJ ultrasonic one available for purchase for some time, eg 5 years IIRC so there is some decent experience with it.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's dedicated Davis EnviroMonitor website
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I have no time to help with individual issues by email. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 03:25:58 AM »
That's the thing with no convenient interface availability for the RM Young it tends to make it not a viable option anymore hence the suggestion to maybe look to Ultrasonic, it's not the cheapest option but there is certainly several to check out besides the Davis version which does have some limitations depending on the installation.   

Offline fkapp

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 10:11:06 AM »
Thanks guys. Can you send some info on the alternate options to the Davis ultrasonic one?

I live in NY, and am thinking about ultrasonic in the future to help catch some low wind and to compare to the Davis 6410 cups anemometer for curiosity.

Mention NY as for few months cold and snow may need to be considered in what one to get, but as I said would be 2ndary to the Davis 6410 cups anemometer.

Thanks as look to learn more about ultrasonic options
Frank

anything