Author Topic: Rainfall reporting error?  (Read 728 times)

Offline AeroPilot

Rainfall reporting error?
« on: August 09, 2021, 12:27:05 PM »
We finally received some real rain (1.5") this AM and WU is reporting less then both my indoor displays which are the same as each other. Station is a 5 in 1, primary display is using usb to transfer data via pc connect and WU is under reporting by .15". Is there something I can look for, or is this just WU? I stopped and restarted pc connect, which did not change anything.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
Re: Rainfall reporting error?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 03:17:09 PM »
Most likely its a AcuRite/Weatherunderground problem, but who knows for sure. If you're  using a Windows 10 computer I would look at the power settings and make sure your computer and the USB port PC connect is using does not power down.

https://mywindowshub.com/how-to-add-remove-usb-selective-suspend-setting-to-from-power-options-in-windows-10/

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline AeroPilot

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2021, 04:40:31 PM »
Thanks for you input. The selective suspend option was not available on my desktop - it appears to be primarily a laptop thing. In any event, I did not see any gaps in any of the metrics reported from me to WU. I'll keep an eye on it and take it from there.

Offline aspexin91

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2021, 06:21:02 PM »
I'll just say that my Atlas and WU have always reported the same amount of rainfall since May 2019. I can't fathom why there would be any discrepancy. Unless not all data is getting to WU. Check https://www.myacurite.com/ is also showing the same amount of rain?

Offline AeroPilot

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2021, 08:25:29 PM »
Thank you for that! I completely forgot about being able to check data there. MyAcurite is showing the shortfall, so that is where the problem lies? Rainfall for the rest of the day was correctly tracked after the shortage I noticed this morning. So, does pc connect send updated totals or periodic values that get totalled on the fly? I'm wondering if a single value was somehow missed.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 08:31:27 PM by AeroPilot »

Offline aspexin91

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2021, 01:49:32 PM »
Okay. Good to see you pinpointed the problem.

Problem is figuring out what is going wrong is going to be tough. Windows applications are not always robust and then there have been some Internet hiccups at myacurite and wu lately. I know that one day a week ago that wu was not getting data but myacurite was. This started around 3p and lasted until 5am the next morning.

Offline AeroPilot

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2021, 09:50:43 PM »
We had another rain event today with no issues, so I think I'll chalk it up to a one time hiccup somewhere.