Author Topic: Atlas display frozen  (Read 22867 times)

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
Re: Atlas display frozen
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2019, 10:46:36 AM »
After a year, I think the only thing you can do is pay for another one.    You can ask them for one though,  explaining it seems like a flaw in the display, nothing to lose.

No one here has been able to figure out a way to get the device working again after the display screen locks like that, and we've tried all kinds of things. 
Maybe you'll be the first.  Keep us updated.

Thanks...I did submit a ticket. I went through three main sensors due to the lightening and UV issues...now the display...ugh.

I am happy to report that AcuRite will look at my frozen display and cover it under warranty. I will be sending it off tomorrow. It had the v.4m version on it.

I do have to say, their support response time has greatly improved over my past experiences.
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2019, 09:29:17 AM »
I'm another one with the screen freezing after unplugging the AC adapter. Its frozen at the start up screen. I purchased the display on the fourth of July 20% discount week. It had firmware version v04o. I'm going to leave it unplugged a couple of days and see if it fixes itself before I file a warranty claim.

PS
The display I purchase on the 4th of July was shipped to me with firmware version v04m. I sent it back and got it re-flashed to v04o. So this display has been nothing but a pain in the butt.

PSS
This is the second Atlas HD display that has failed for me! The last one was replaced under warranty. Customer service has been great in dealing with this stuff, but its still a pain!

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2019, 09:34:14 AM »
I am curious if maybe power blips or service interruptions could be causing the issues? Sometimes electronics do not like quick on and offs.

Offline anotherwxwolf

« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2019, 05:05:34 PM »
I am curious if maybe power blips or service interruptions could be causing the issues? Sometimes electronics do not like quick on and offs.

That's a good question. Acurite's support team has asked me this twice after two displays failed for me. I have mine (and all other computer/network equipment in my room) plugged into a UPS, which I tested before plugging the new screen in, just to be sure :3 I don't think it was power blips in my case. I hope not, anyway :)

The one change I did make with the second replacement screen relates to the SD card used for record keeping. On my original screen and first replacement, I used a microSD card with a standard size SD card adapter. I've since recalled that long long ago I used to dabble in live Linux distros that were flashed onto a microSD card, which I put into an standard size SD adapter and booted from this 5-in-1 media card reader on the front of my computer. One or two times, it wouldn't boot properly until I stopped using the adapter and used a microSD -> USB stick. Don't ask me why I didn't just flash the ISO to a stick  :roll:

Long story short, I am NOT using any SD card in my second replacement screen, and I'm curious to know if you guys were using SD cards or microSD - > SD card adapters when your screens froze and needed to be replaced.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 05:10:43 PM by anotherwxwolf »
Awoo!

Offline AlanD96

« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2019, 06:52:40 PM »
As for me, I've never had any kind of memory card in my Atlas display and it froze just like all the others.

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2019, 09:02:25 PM »
I had a memory card in my display from day one.

Mine was plugged into a surge strip. Since there is not an on/off button, I would think they are built to withstand unplugging it when needed.

Mine worked fine after several power outages....just had the hassles of having to set it up again due to no battery back-up.

Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline AlanD96

« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2019, 12:01:47 PM »
This is so ironic --

I have three Atlas display screens I bought last April.   A few months ago,  when powering one of them down to move it, when powered back up it 'stuck' on the opening splash screen.  AcuRite replaced it under the warranty.

Just this morning I went to move another one. When powering it back up, I said to myself, "Wouldn't it be funny if THIS one locked up too."
Spoiler alert, it DID (and it wasn't so funny.)   I couldn't believe it.  It just locked up on that pretty display screen.  In a chat a few minutes ago, Meghan said the only solution is to power down the unit for half an hour or so.  If that doesn't do it, it's fried.  She's sending me out another display under the warranty.

A suggestion I have for this group is that if you have an Atlas with the display and your warranty is ending soon, I'd unplug the unit and replug after a few minutes and make sure it's OK.  You don't want to do that after the year warranty is up. 

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2019, 07:40:04 PM »
I received my repaired display back from AcuRite.

It works fine. The software version was v41.

It looked like my old panel so it looks like there must be some type of repair available. I wonder if it is just a software issue or if the hardware is the cause.

Their customer service on my out of warranty issue was fast. I appreciate their help with my display.

I am also using an old iPad 2 with their app in another room. I am wondering if buying an old iPad at $100 would be a better option for an out of warranty display if the display is frail.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 07:53:49 PM by MacGarage »
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline anotherwxwolf

« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2019, 08:31:30 PM »

Can you confirm the version number? The ones I've seen are v##X and v41 doesn't quite fit that format.

Awoo!

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2019, 07:50:20 AM »

Can you confirm the version number? The ones I've seen are v##X and v41 doesn't quite fit that format.

I did notice the number was not like the others...it went by pretty fast and I could have misread it...the next time I have to reboot it, I will have a camera ready....right now, I do not want to jinx it and have to unplug it again!
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline AlanD96

« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2019, 10:48:58 AM »

I did notice the number was not like the others...it went by pretty fast and I could have misread it...the next time I have to reboot it, I will have a camera ready....right now, I do not want to jinx it and have to unplug it again!

You are very wise.  I'm going to do everything I can to make sure after I receive it, I'll never unplug my new Atlas display in my lifetime.  :)

Offline anotherwxwolf

« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2019, 02:25:22 PM »

I totally get it. Thanks!
Awoo!

Offline AlanD96

« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2019, 11:10:28 AM »
Once again, I've been impressed with AcuRite's customer service.  I chatted about another of my Atlas display failures and they sent out a replacement that same day.  I received it via SurePost in 3 days. 

I tried staring at the display when it first powered up, and the firmware version appeared to be .v04i.   It disappears very fast and just like MacGarage, I'm not about to unplug the thing again to verify, and risk ANOTHER failure.   
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 12:38:02 PM by AlanD96 »

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2019, 11:16:21 AM »
Once again, I've been impressed with AcuRite's customer service.  I chatted about another of my Atlas display failures and they sent out a replacement that same day.  I received in via SurePost in 3 days. 

I tried staring at the display when it first powered up, and the firmware version appeared to be .v04i.   It disappears very fast and just like MacGarage, I'm not about to unplug the thing again to verify, and risk ANOTHER failure.

Thanks for verifying the firmware version! I guess I was close at v41! Mine is still up and running. I wonder if a consumer end flashing will ever be possible to fix these.

I do think their customer service has vastly improved over the early Access days. Now, I think it is a positive selling point.
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline Luis Kopper Barquero

« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2019, 12:21:40 PM »
Hello everyone.   Yesterday my Atlas screen froze.  I need your help.  It is very important for me to know the weather in my area.  I am very sad about what happened.  :-( :-(

Please, help me!!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 12:26:07 PM by Luis Kopper Barquero »

Offline AlanD96

« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2019, 01:08:36 PM »
Hello everyone.   Yesterday my Atlas screen froze.  I need your help.  It is very important for me to know the weather in my area.  I am very sad about what happened.  :-( :-(

Please, help me!!

Hi Luis.   
If your screen froze like the rest of ours did, I'm afraid all you can do it contact support at the AcuRite.com website, tell them what happened, and they'll most likely send you out another display right away.    If your display froze at the opening splash screen, I'm afraid it's 'cooked.'

In the meantime, if you have an AcuRite "Access" you can read your Atlas' information on the Internet at the "MyAcuRite.com" website, or on Weather Underground if you set up an account.   
The link for the Access is https://www.acurite.com/access-my-acurite-remote-monitoring.html.   There's 15% off if you order by Monday, December 16. 

Outside of that, I don't think there's anything you can do to get your Atlas Screen working again  :( 

Offline Luis Kopper Barquero

« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2019, 01:39:54 PM »
Thank you so much ☺️

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2019, 08:40:58 AM »
Yesterday my warranty replacement HD display came for the frozen one I had. It looked like it came with firmware v04i, maybe it was v041. It was hard to tell.

It took 1 ½ days for an Email replay to my warrant claim and 7 days to ship.

I have nothing but good dealings with AcuRite’s customer service. Its assuring to know they are standing behind their products.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline fosterangela

« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2019, 07:49:46 PM »
So...has anyone figured out any work-around for these frozen screens?  I came home today to find mine frozen...again!  This is the second time I've had this happen.  Acurite already replaced my v040 once, and it's happened again.  It definitely has something to do with the units losing power, as both times has been on days when the power went out.  (So, those of you not planning to "unplug" your units "ever", what about if your power goes out due to bad weather?  We have a whole house generator, but evidently the short lagtime between the time the power goes out and the time the generator kicks on and repowers everything is enough for these units to lock up.)  I've done the "reset" button to no avail.  I've plugged the thing into my laptop but can't seem to get access to it.  I've held the reset button down and power cycled, but that just gives me a blank, nothing screen.  So frustrated!  I don't know if Acurite will replace this again, but I guess I'll call on Monday.  As for purchasing another one, why would I do that???  While I enjoy being about to see the information when sitting in my den, I can also check it all on my phone, so I'm not spending more money on this display until they get the kinks worked out.  Hopefully they will cover this under the warranty.  I've only had this "replacement" one since the summer. 
~ Angela

Offline AlanD96

« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2019, 09:27:29 PM »
Angela -

The only "workaround" is to chat with, or email the AcuRite support staff as you obviously have done before.  They've been VERY quick to ship out new replacement screens promptly.   (They've already replaced 2 of my 3 screens.)
They will not explain what the problem is,  whether they have a handle on it or not, but they have been very responsive.
My only problem is I'm terrified to unplug one of my screens to move it to a new location. 

Offline fosterangela

« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2019, 10:17:27 PM »
Thanks Alan! I'll be contacting them on Monday. Fingers crossed. :)

Offline giveme5

« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2019, 06:53:40 PM »
It definitely has something to do with the units losing power,
~ Angela

Maybe, maybe not...  My replacement screen just froze today (v.04o). No power failure or anything (plugged in UPS). Eventually I had to unplug it. Then it stuck on splash screen during power up.

I'm sure that a replacement of a replacement display will freeze too after few months, so I better start looking for another solution. Atlas, so far, has been huge disappointment.

Offline fosterangela

« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2019, 07:27:02 PM »
Do you have the access through your smartphone?  I'll take a replacement if they offer me ons, but I'm not buying another one of these screens! I have our 5-in-1 linked to our smart phones and we get the same info.

Offline AlanD96

« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2019, 09:56:08 AM »
It definitely has something to do with the units losing power,
~ Angela

Maybe, maybe not...  My replacement screen just froze today (v.04o). No power failure or anything (plugged in UPS). Eventually I had to unplug it. Then it stuck on splash screen during power up.

I'm sure that a replacement of a replacement display will freeze too after few months, so I better start looking for another solution. Atlas, so far, has been huge disappointment.

Actually come to think of it, that's exactly what happened to my first display.  It locked up at the normal information screen.  I unplugged it and THEN it locked at the opening splash screen.  It was another of my displays which was fine until I unplugged it.   

I wish AcuRite would admit they have a problem with these things and figure out a solution.  I can't believe they enjoy sending out dozens of these display replacements. 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 11:04:00 AM by AlanD96 »

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2019, 11:53:32 AM »
Without doubt they know there’s a problem. I’ve purchased two displays; both have been warranty replaced.

My first display would freeze up on the first lightning strike detection after my Atlas was fixed and returned for the reporting of the false lightning strikes. I was always able to unplug it and get it working until the next lightning streak occurred. It was warranty replaced.

I purchase a second display which froze up after unplugging it. It was warranty replaced.

I have too much invested in equipment to give up now and as long as they keep replacing the bad displays, I can live with it. I’m waiting and hoping a new designed and improved display is going to be released soon.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

anything