Author Topic: Atlas display frozen  (Read 22760 times)

Offline AlanD96

Re: Atlas display frozen
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2019, 10:09:46 AM »
Is there a way to see the 'splash screen' without powering down the unit?

As we know, if you power down the display, it loses the corrected barometric reading and you've got to go through the three week 'learning period' again.

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2019, 12:11:37 PM »
I unplugged mine for a half second and I'm not sure if that effects the learning period and I cant see in the menu of the display any other way to get the splash page to show . Hope that helps you out . 

Is there a way to see the 'splash screen' without powering down the unit?

As we know, if you power down the display, it loses the corrected barometric reading and you've got to go through the three week 'learning period' again.

Offline giveme5

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2019, 01:56:39 PM »

Also, as a minor followup, I've taken my old unit apart just to see what's inside. As I thought, the USB pinout is not standard. The ground and mode detect/ID pins are swapped.
Edit: They aren't swapped. I just stripped a usb cable and pulled out the ohm meter and mapped the pins.
I doubt I'll go any further since I'm not an electronics engineer, but still good to know I guess. Sorry for all the image spam!

Looks like that switch is not a reset button (as some thought), it looks more like it puts display in host mode.
Could you test that?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2019, 02:23:57 PM »

Also, as a minor followup, I've taken my old unit apart just to see what's inside. As I thought, the USB pinout is not standard. The ground and mode detect/ID pins are swapped.
Edit: They aren't swapped. I just stripped a usb cable and pulled out the ohm meter and mapped the pins.
I doubt I'll go any further since I'm not an electronics engineer, but still good to know I guess. Sorry for all the image spam!

Looks like that switch is not a reset button (as some thought), it looks more like it puts display in host mode.
Could you test that?

So everyone who's been successfully resetting their display is wrong?    :roll:

Offline giveme5

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2019, 03:41:23 PM »
So everyone who's been successfully resetting their display is wrong?    :roll:

How did you come to such a conclusion?

I've never said I'm right and/or that others are wrong. Looking at the PCB it looks like it has something to do with USB (see FB2). Then, it may not.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2019, 03:46:43 PM »
I wish we could read the display data from the USB, then we could really do a lot more with this station... I don't understand why they would put a USB on it and not let data come through... Even the cheap Chinese stations let you do that. It's too nice of a system to be locked down.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2019, 03:48:19 PM »
Because others (including me) have successfully reset the display that way?

Just because it's on the USB board doesn't mean it's not used for doing a reset. 

It might do several different things depending on length of press or number of presses which may or may not be in the user documentation.

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2019, 08:15:34 PM »
Maybe I'm just missing it but in the paper work I got plus the manual I downloaded theirs no mention of the USB or the reset anywhere . Even the picture they have in the manual  doesn't show the USB nor the reset .

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2019, 08:19:08 PM »
Right.  It's not in the user manual.

That's not particularly unusual.

Many devices have hidden features/abilities that aren't documented at the user level. 

Sometimes they aren't even documented for the manufacturer's employees.

Acurite has stated before that the port is for their use only.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 08:26:12 PM by nincehelser »

Offline anotherwxwolf

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2019, 01:32:42 PM »
Just got my replacement display in, and it works fine.

The software version is now v.04o

I went through the setup and all the menus, and nothing has changed cosmetically. Though I noticed the reception might be better. With the antenna retracted, it shows four bars, whereas on the old unit, I'd get three bars even with the antenna up.

With getting my replacement within a week, I'm pretty satisfied with how Acurite handled this issue.

73s!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 09:30:25 PM by anotherwxwolf »
Awoo!

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2019, 08:27:08 AM »
I too am happy with customer service dealings and the handling of the issue. My replacement Display also has software version v.04o. Noticed that the rounding error for the daily temperature high/low values has been fixed and is now correct. Wonder what else has been changed/fixed.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline giveme5

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2019, 03:05:58 PM »
Got mine back today after 6 weeks. Software version v.040. It takes 4-5 tries to power it up though.
I assume it's power supply this time. I'll just buy one myself and see if that fixes it.

Support staff was nice, but the whole process was moving at the glacial pace.

Offline josephinelcajon

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2019, 03:19:59 AM »
My first post and unfortunately what brought me here was my two month old Acurite Atlas display has frozen on the start up splash screen. I did try the reset button and the unplugging it and nothing is helping! I contacted Acurite that asked me a lot of power related question. Such as did you have a power outage and are you using the power supply that came with it. I believe that this is a power issue that causes them to freeze up. Once I knew I had a replacement coming on the pony express cross country with several water brakes along the way. I opened the old one up and tried to ground all the capacitors to de-energize them even unplugged the ribbons. It did not fix it. Next I tried the USB cable if its on the computer doesn't see it BUT if you plug it into the computer then power cycle with holding that button the computer sees it but no driver is available. Hope this might help someone? Now has anyone actually fixed this freezing up problem? Do you think the newer software version is fixing this issue? Thanks everyone!

Offline anotherwxwolf

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2019, 01:18:39 PM »
My first post and unfortunately what brought me here was my two month old Acurite Atlas display has frozen on the start up splash screen. I did try the reset button and the unplugging it and nothing is helping! I contacted Acurite that asked me a lot of power related question. Such as did you have a power outage and are you using the power supply that came with it. I believe that this is a power issue that causes them to freeze up. Once I knew I had a replacement coming on the pony express cross country with several water brakes along the way. I opened the old one up and tried to ground all the capacitors to de-energize them even unplugged the ribbons. It did not fix it. Next I tried the USB cable if its on the computer doesn't see it BUT if you plug it into the computer then power cycle with holding that button the computer sees it but no driver is available. Hope this might help someone? Now has anyone actually fixed this freezing up problem? Do you think the newer software version is fixing this issue? Thanks everyone!

You actually got Windows to see the device? That's a first for me. I'm curious as to what device manager listed the Atlas station as. And yea, there were a few breaks for those ponies :) But after I got my replacement, its been smooth sailing.
Awoo!

Offline josephinelcajon

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2019, 02:29:54 PM »
I have windows 10 home I plugged in the power to the display and the USB to the display from the computer then while holding down that black button on the display and power cycling the display the display stays black but the computer then sees it. It is seen in the device manager under other devices. I unplugged it to make sure which one it was. If you unplug it you need to power cycle and hold the button again. Once I get the new one I will try it again. [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

My return processes was I found it dead on July 23. That evening I registered it and sent the request via email to Acurite. The next morning they sent a email confirming things and on July 24th it was shipped out to my PO Box I also provided my street address they shipped via Fedex "Smartpost" It is scheduled for delivery on Agust 3rd.

Update Acurite shipped via FedEx SmartPost on July 24th. I was watching the shipment progress and saw it arrived in the Los Angeles area on July 29th. And has moved three times in the Los Angeles area. I live in San Diego. They are not expected to deliver it until at least August 8th! Apparently the pony died and they are waiting for a replacement? I sent Acurite a email. They responded with a sorry! Apparently they ship using the absolute cheapest way possible. I would think USPS would be faster and cheaper!

Update: I received the replacement screen on August 8th FedEx Had delivered it directly to my local post office hours after it said on the tracking. Told my post office not to scan it in. They moved it around a lot prior to delivery. I contacted the CEO of FedEx and Acurite the day before. Plugged it in and immediately it booted and connected. I am noticing that the temprature is not the same on the app as it is on the display. Sometimes as much as 2 degrees! And the UV always reads low Max 3 normally only 2 on a clear day at noon. I revived a how was our service questionnaire. Boy I let them know about the shipping and all the problems with the system. A response of "We are sorry and someone will contact you shortly!" Lets see!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 07:02:20 PM by josephinelcajon »

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2019, 10:57:53 AM »
Update Acurite shipped via FedEx SmartPost on July 24th. I was watching the shipment progress and saw it arrived in the Los Angeles area on July 29th. And has moved three times in the Los Angeles area. I live in San Diego. They are not expected to deliver it until at least August 8th! Apparently the pony died and they are waiting for a replacement? I sent Acurite a email. They responded with a sorry! Apparently they ship using the absolute cheapest way possible. I would think USPS would be faster and cheaper!

I had the same problem with FedEx " Smart Post " as you did . My shipment also got stuck in La and just sat there . I went on social media ( twitter ) and gave them a piece of my mind . They keep saying it's not a guarantee shipment and would be delivered by my local post office and I said that's fine move it to the post office . It wasn't even touched for 2 day's while sitting in LA and then boom this last  Saturday FedEx deliveries it to me and not the post office .

Offline AlanD96

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2019, 06:48:16 PM »
Last week I experienced the same thing as some of you, my display locked up, I rebooted it and it froze at the initial welcome screen, even after the usual troubleshooting methods. 

I chatted with Selene and she promised to send a new one, I could trash my existing Atlas Display.   That was last Thursday.  To my pleasure and surprise, 5 days later the new one showed up, after traveling through FedEx and Smart Post.  It also is version .04o. 

So mark me down as VERY happy with AcuRite's customer service.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 10:14:19 AM by AlanD96 »

Offline anotherwxwolf

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2019, 01:55:32 AM »
Hey guys, you might remember me from this post back in May of this year, https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36684.msg381707#msg381707 when my Atlas display froze and Acurite sent me a replacement unit with updated firmware. (v.04n -> v.04o)

Welp, just now my replacement screen froze. I power cycled and it's stuck on the ATLAS splash screen.

What on earth is going on at Acurite? I'll mess with it tomorrow and will post updates.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 12:45:17 PM by anotherwxwolf »
Awoo!

Offline AlanD96

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2019, 02:28:55 PM »
Hey guys, you might remember me from this post back in May of this year, https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36684.msg381707#msg381707 when my Atlas display froze and Acurite sent me a replacement unit with updated firmware. (v.04n -> v.04o)

Welp, just now my replacement screen froze. I power cycled and it's stuck on the ATLAS splash screen.

What on earth is going on at Acurite? I'll mess with it tomorrow and will post updates.

Well THIS is disappointing.   As you see above I had exactly the same situation and they also replaced mine with the v.04.o firmware.  Mine's working at this time but who knows for how long I guess.  Please let us know what happens with yours!

Offline anotherwxwolf

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2019, 01:16:36 AM »

Well THIS is disappointing.   As you see above I had exactly the same situation and they also replaced mine with the v.04.o firmware.  Mine's working at this time but who knows for how long I guess.  Please let us know what happens with yours!

Acurite answered my ticket the same day and submitted an order for a replacement screen an hour later. They certainly are prompt with this particular warranty issue, for me at least.

What I don't get is why they don't ask for the old unit back. I'm not an engineer, but surely all that needs to happen is a reflash of the firmware. I guess they determined the problem is uncorrectable once it occurs, or the cost to repair it outweighs the cost of manufacturing a new display unit.
Awoo!

Offline anotherwxwolf

« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2019, 04:20:49 PM »
Got the second replacement just now. The firmware version is the same. v.04o

I'll be honest guys, I'm not confident this one will last more than six months but we'll see.
Awoo!

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2019, 05:11:19 PM »
I've never had an issue with mine, and I've had 2 screens.

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2019, 12:26:23 PM »
Count me in with the exact same issue with my 14-month-old display. I needed to move the AC adapter to another outlet and once I moved it, only the splash screen shows.

I attempted the reset button and leaving it off over an extended time without luck.

So, when one of these dies out of warranty, I guess we are out of luck or is there anything else I can try?
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline AlanD96

« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2019, 12:45:55 PM »
After a year, I think the only thing you can do is pay for another one.    You can ask them for one though,  explaining it seems like a flaw in the display, nothing to lose.

No one here has been able to figure out a way to get the device working again after the display screen locks like that, and we've tried all kinds of things. 
Maybe you'll be the first.  Keep us updated. 

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2019, 12:53:18 PM »
After a year, I think the only thing you can do is pay for another one.    You can ask them for one though,  explaining it seems like a flaw in the display, nothing to lose.

No one here has been able to figure out a way to get the device working again after the display screen locks like that, and we've tried all kinds of things. 
Maybe you'll be the first.  Keep us updated.

Thanks...I did submit a ticket. I went through three main sensors due to the lightening and UV issues...now the display...ugh.
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

anything