Author Topic: Which one?  (Read 771 times)

Offline mkutche

• Forecaster
    • GosportWx.com
Which one?
« on: July 23, 2020, 04:54:14 PM »
I'm currently lookin into getting a Davis Instruments WX station... I want one that can measure snowfall, soil temps, solar, UV along with what it comes with .. rain/wind/temps.

Thanks
Mike
Mike K.
Davis Vantage Vue 6250 - CumulusMX (3.21.1-b3205)
Gosport, Indiana
Gosportwx.com twitter.com/GosportINWX
-----------------------------------------------------------

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
Re: Which one?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 05:29:15 PM »
I'm not sure if any come with Soil inclusive of package but there is a comparison here of current models.

https://www.davisinstruments.com/weather-monitoring/#comparison_chart

Soil and leaf sensors also require another item the Leaf & Soil Moisture/Temperature Station (#6345) (up to four sensors), or an EnviroMonitor Node.

on top of that you'll need a data logger of some sort to push the data to various sites.

none measure snow (depth) but moisture content can be measured https://www.davisinstruments.com/product/rain-collector-heater/
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 05:33:45 PM by ConligWX »
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Which one?
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 03:40:46 AM »
Soil and leaf sensors also require another item the Leaf & Soil Moisture/Temperature Station (#6345) (up to four sensors), or an EnviroMonitor Node.

on top of that you'll need a data logger of some sort to push the data to various sites.

none measure snow (depth) but moisture content can be measured https://www.davisinstruments.com/product/rain-collector-heater/

Just to be 100% clear (since EM has been mentioned and just to expand on ConligWX's comment): You cannot use an Enviromonitor (EM) node with a VP2 console/receiver - EM and VP2 use different wireless communication protocols. An EM node can only be used within an EM station system, so you make a decision upfront whether to go down the VP2 or EM routes.

That said, there are two ways in which you can use a VP2 ISS (the main weather sensor assembly) within an EM configuration:

1. A cabled VP2 ISS will connect direct to an EM cellular gateway;

2. A wireless VP2 ISS can be received by the 6805 EM IP gateway (but not by its cellular counterpart). The 6805 is effectively the EM counterpart to Weatherlink Live and is actually fitted with dual receivers, one for EM data and a second for VP2 wireless data.

EM systems offer a much greater choice of non-weather sensors especially in the choice of soil moisture sensors such as the 6 levels-in-one Sentek sensors, but many other sensors also. But as you might expect for a more business (farming) oriented product EM systems are more expensive. Also there is no third-party software support that I'm aware of for EM - all the data is handled via weatherlink.com. EM is an excellent and very flexible system from Davis but definitely targeted at eg agricultural applications rather than general weather monitoring.

[That's probably more information than you want or need, but it helps keep the picture clear for possible future viewers of this thread.]
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 08:30:10 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.