Author Topic: How do I change temperature to read in tenths of a degree  (Read 10300 times)

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: How do I change temperature to read in tenths of a degree
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2013, 01:54:00 PM »
The Vantage Pro2 is a very accurate weather station.

But it has the same accuracy (1degF) as the temp/hum station! In other words, both units report temperature to the same intrinsic degree of reliability (leaving aside issues of shield design).
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2013, 02:09:37 PM »
I already have the Vantage Pro2 with 24 hour aspirated fan.  The temperature/humidity station was just an addition to take measurements from a different location on my property.  The Vantage Pro2 is a very accurate weather station.

Thanks.  I understand that the accuracy and precision of the additional station would have been satisfactory, but you need more resolution.

Offline windme

• Newport RI Weather
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2013, 02:18:12 PM »
I agree. How would you know if it has the same accuracy if the ISS temp read out is 76.2 and the temperature/humidity station read out is 76.0.  It's close but not identical.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 02:26:39 PM by windme »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2013, 02:33:01 PM »
I agree. How would you know if it has the same accuracy if the ISS temp read out is 76.2 and the temperature/humidity station read out is 76.0.  It's close but not identical.

The accuracy (specification) is 1 degree.  So (roughly speaking) if the indicated measurements are always within 1 degree, then they have the same accuracy.  

The accuracy (and the precision) of the two sensors are identical.  It's only the measurement resolution that differs.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 03:36:38 PM by dalecoy »

Offline windme

• Newport RI Weather
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2013, 02:54:39 PM »
ok thanks, I like the resolutions of all temps on the VP2 to be in tenths

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2013, 03:26:49 PM »
I agree. How would you know if it has the same accuracy if the ISS temp read out is 76.2 and the temperature/humidity station read out is 76.0.  It's close but not identical.

So you know that the ISS temperature probably lies between 75.2 and 77.2 degF and the temp/hum is probably between 75 and 77. You don't have any better information than this. I understand that you like the hypothetical appeal of the 0.1degF resolution, but it doesn't have any real meaning. To within 1degF is as close as you know the temp with either station. You're chasing shadows imputing higher accuracy to the ISS than it actually has. But I think you probably understand that!

Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline windme

• Newport RI Weather
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2013, 03:45:22 PM »
Yes I understand that, but when I saw the temperature of 76.0 last night, I'm not sure if's it was going up or down until maybe 20 minutes later or so when it read 75.0.  Also during a strong cold front I can see the temperature dropping instantaneously by tenths of a degree rathing than waiting several minutes or longer to find the temperature dropping.  Just a personal choice to see the 0.1 resolution.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2013, 03:47:53 PM »
Actually comprehending the three fundamental terms (accuracy, precision, and resolution) is a difficult lesson.  And then, even if they are understood, it's often not satisfying at the intuitive level.  

Davis' presentation of 1-degree resolution from remote 1-degree-accuracy sensors is the "honest" thing to do.

Neither Davis nor (afaik) any of the other manufacturers give specifications for precision of their sensors, which would relate to your observation about temperature trends.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 03:52:01 PM by dalecoy »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2013, 04:30:36 PM »
Of course, you could always get an Envoy8X console and follow the readings via software. Or even eg a Vue console as a second display and listen to the Temp/Hum station channel as an ISS. Either option would give you the 0.1degF resolution on Temp/Hum, but just not on the same console display at the same time.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2013, 04:31:41 PM »
Actually comprehending the three fundamental terms (accuracy, precision, and resolution) is a difficult lesson.  And then, even if they are understood, it's often not satisfying at the intuitive level.  

Davis' presentation of 1-degree resolution from remote 1-degree-accuracy sensors is the "honest" thing to do.

Neither Davis nor (afaik) any of the other manufacturers give specifications for precision of their sensors, which would relate to your observation about temperature trends.

You must not have looked at Vaisala. 
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2013, 07:04:05 PM »

You must not have looked at Vaisala. 

I did, and couldn't find anywhere that they specified the precision of their temperature or humidity sensors.  Could you please provide a URL that has that information?

Thanks

anything