Author Topic: Vantage Vue: Using spotlight to charge solar panel  (Read 268 times)

Offline mrk35803

Vantage Vue: Using spotlight to charge solar panel
« on: May 31, 2023, 07:41:34 AM »
Love this forum, BTW...it's one of the reasons i went with Davis.

My Vantage Vue has a dead battery; I haven't gotten around to replacing it (my Vue is mounted thirty or so feet from the ground so it takes a bit of effort to get it up/down) and was searching around to find alternates for the battery.   My Vue stops broadcasting around 4:00 am and doesn't start back up again until it gets some decent sun.  I have power available that I could route to the unit; I've read about users who have hacked their unit to take power from a wall wart instead of relying on solar.  That's more hacking then I'm comfortable with.   Another solution I've seen is finding a dummy battery that runs off of a wall wart and that seems more in my comfort zone but I haven't found a dummy battery of the correct size.  Then I thought of a really potentially dumb idea:  can I just add a spotlight to my setup that comes on at night and shines on the solar panel to keep the unit charged overnight?  That would be pretty easy for me to do; I could mount it on the same pole the suite is mounted on and have it shine directly on the panel.  I could even have it come on just for the minimum time needed to bridge the gap where it goes dead.  Then i wouldn't have to worry about batteries at all or even an aging super-cap.   

Would that work?   Or am I missing something fundamentally wrong with the idea?

thanks in advance

michael

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: Vantage Vue: Using spotlight to charge solar panel
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2023, 08:43:54 AM »
Since my long range repeater supercap failed, I decided to buy the 25 foot USB Davis power cable. I found a 12V to USB power adapter that I run from an already existing DC power source. It seems to be working fine, and I confirmed that the USB supply is feeding current to the repeater.

The 25 foot cable was long enough to reach from the garage supply to the repeater.

See this thread for details: https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=45319.msg459817#msg459817

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF