Author Topic: Connecting the Davis USB logger with USB to Ethernet Adapter to Router  (Read 607 times)

Offline jrodriguez6

Can I connect the Davis USB logger with USB to Ethernet Adapter to Router???
I currently have Davis Weatherlink IP connected but it starting to fail. But its 5 years old.
Thanks
Joe

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
No, USB (or serial) logger can not be connected direct to the internet/router like the WeatherLinkIP. USB or Serial logger could be connected to your network and accessed locally by software such as WeatherlinkPC etc, have used Moxa, Lantronix in the past.

Quite rare for a WLIP to fail, have some of the very first WLIP's (early 2008) still running fine. What appears to be the problem?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 10:49:07 PM by Mattk »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Can I connect the Davis USB logger with USB to Ethernet Adapter to Router???

Actually you can do this with a USB to Ethernet adapter in transparent mode - I used to have an example working in the distant past. But I really wouldn't recommend it - it's not simple to do. And I'm not sure what you are expecting the result to be - a USB logger obviously doesn't have the capability to upload directly to weatherlink.com for example.

Like Mattk, I'm surprised to hear that a WLIP is failing - they are normally pretty reliable. Personally, I'd want to make sure that all other explanations like network issues are ruled out before concluding that the IP logger is failing.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Like Mattk, I'm surprised to hear that a WLIP is failing - they are normally pretty reliable. Personally, I'd want to make sure that all other explanations like network issues are ruled out before concluding that the IP logger is failing.

The WLIP that was in use by the local Marina failed. It started drawing high current before it totally failed. I checked it in another console (it was originally in a VP2 console that also went bad) same results. I bought a MeteoPi Ethernet using the same DID as the failed unit and it works fine. (actually better than the WLIP ever did...)

It's possible that the failed VP2 console caused some problem with the WLIP,. but it did work for some time on the Envoy before it went bad.

Greg H.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 11:41:35 AM by miraculon »

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
The WLIP that was in used by the local Marina failed.

Sure! Not trying to say that 6555 loggers NEVER fail. Like any other electronic device, I'm sure that a few do so from time to time.

But it's not uncommon for users to blame an IP logger for failing when actually the fault lies elsewhere in the network/router/Internet systems.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline jrodriguez6

Thanks for all the info.
I'm going to continue to use the Ip Logger. Thinking about what I should get to replace it?
I use Weather Display to transmit all my Weather Data. Tried connecting the WLL when it first came out and could not get it working.
I like have the Weatherlink console recording data and WD also getting its data.
Again Thanks
Joe

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Thanks for all the info.
I'm going to continue to use the Ip Logger. Thinking about what I should get to replace it?
I use Weather Display to transmit all my Weather Data. Tried connecting the WLL when it first came out and could not get it working.
I like have the Weatherlink console recording data and WD also getting its data.
Again Thanks
Joe

I like the MeteoPi Ethernet.

You can reuse your DID from the WLIP.

Greg H.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 10:35:35 AM by miraculon »

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF