Author Topic: Vantage Vue ice issues with wind direction  (Read 1218 times)

Offline bbowers

• Traffic Surgeon
  • Contributor
    • Country Knolls - Ballston Lake, NY
Vantage Vue ice issues with wind direction
« on: March 08, 2011, 08:10:17 AM »
So we got some pretty nasty ice here in Albany Sunday night into Monday morning. Started off with rain...lots of it. Which then migrated to sleet/freezing rain, and ultimately lots of ice with a snow coating. Overall the Vue did well with the ice, the anemometer still worked, even with icicles on it.

The problem I'd like to bring to light is with the rain gauge and the directional underneath. It seems at some point around 9PM or so when things started to freeze I lost my wind direction indication. I noticed around 12 or 1am or so and ran out to check. I have a rather long stick I put together to push snow off of the top of the Vue (2nd floor balcony of which I don't have access to easily.) It worked for a second then froze again... looked like it was hitting something on the way around. It was dark and I couldn't see so I gave up.

At some point around 3am there must have been enough of a gust to break it loose again, and it's been fine since then from what I can tell. What I'm guessing the problem is, is that when water drains from the rain gauge it drips down out of it and over time started making a nice little icicle. Which once my directional swung around, captured it and continued to freeze.

Now I doubt Davis cares, but even possibly a simple downward extension of the directional could at least help with the problem. I understand this is a compromise unit in terms of functionality...but it seems that in the coming freeze/thaw cycles this spring I may be seeing more of this. I don't exactly want to cover the rain gauge with anything to prevent it, because when it does start to be warm enough for rain I'd have to remove it which isn't easy. I'll admit though, I bet I at least give the neighbors a laugh with me standing out there in an ice storm with a 20ft long stick poking at my instrument up on the roof.  #-o
Even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day.

Offline 4wd

• Forecaster
    • North York Moors weather
Re: Vantage Vue ice issues with wind direction
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 08:39:38 AM »
In conditions like that even official recording sites are going to have temporary problems.
I have noticed that snow lodging on top of the ISS can quite soon chock the anemometer cups if they aren't spinning as it snows.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 08:58:48 AM »
My VP2 has seized up during an freezing rain event. But right when the Vue was launched I noticed the curious location of the rain water exit hole, and pondered exactly what you experienced.

Other than the potential siting issues mentioned already.  I see an issue with northern implementations, the "exit" hole for the rain gauge is right above wind direction vane, would not take much for an icicle to form (looks like a half inch gap or less) and stop the vane from turning 360 degrees.
Andrew

I think its a design oversight for cold weather locations.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline bbowers

• Traffic Surgeon
  • Contributor
    • Country Knolls - Ballston Lake, NY
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 09:03:05 AM »
That was my point.... while I agree, extreme freezing rain and ice will halt even the most advanced measuring devices for wind etc at times... for this particular model it looks like terrible placement. But, it is sorta hard when dealing with such limited space. Even ice hanging off of the sides of the unit can affect the wind direction I guess.
Even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day.