Author Topic: How to upload to Ambientweather.net  (Read 13009 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
How to upload to Ambientweather.net
« on: March 27, 2020, 01:42:39 PM »
What is Ambientweather.net
Ambientweather.net is an online weather service by Ambient Weather. This service was designed to only be used with Ambient licensed hardware.

You don't need a weather station to enjoy Ambientweather.net. Anyone can check it out and see the stations that have decided to make their data public. Go check it out and see all that it has to offer. A new version 2.0 recently launched with a map and many new features. This service is evolving and there are future plans for new game changing things.

https://ambientweather.net/

Who can't upload to Ambientweather.net?
If you have similar hardware to Ambient you cannot upload to Ambientweather.net. It must be Ambient branded to upload. There are several limiting factors. The firmware is different in your similar looking hardware and you don't have a license from Ambient which is governed by Ambient by whitelisting device MAC addresses on their servers that are allowed to use Ambientweather.net.

If you think your hardware should be able to upload to Ambientweather.net but doesn't seem to have the functionality, then perhaps it has outdated firmware. Try updating your firmware to the latest version. Some earlier models didn't gain this ability until after they were manufactured and require updating. You should update your firmware anyway.

If you have Ambient Virtual Weather Station software (VWS) you can't upload to Ambientweather.net. This software has been discontinued and is no longer being developed. This software precedes the existence of Ambientweather.net. Therefore this software will not gain the capability to upload to Ambientweather.net. Ambient developed Ambientweather.net as a follow-up to VWS. The growing trend in the past decade is for software to go into the cloud and that is why this decision was made to put all efforts into the cloud and stop with VWS. New hardware can't use VWS. But old hardware often can be adapted to support Ambientweather.net, but it will require some investment on your part to expand your stations capabilities. See below for requirements and options.

Why is uploading to Ambientweather.net limited to Ambient licensed hardware?
Uploading to Ambientweather.net is limited because to run this service requires resource expenditure. The more stations and data the costlier it is to run, maintain and support. Ambient does not make any money off your data. This is different than other online services that monetize your data by selling it, which is what allows them to provide a free place for you to upload data. There are several advantages to Ambientweather.net, one of them being no ads.

Other companies that sell weather stations have services that are also limited to only their customers. You wouldn't expect to be able to upload to myAcurite.com if you didn't have an Acurite hardware. Same for Weatherlink.com if you didn't have a Davis station. Ambientweather.net is more like these companies than like Weather Underground.

What are the different ways or requirements to upload to Ambientweather.net?

Your options to upload to Ambientweather.net are (pick one):
  • Buy an Ambient branded weather station that support this feature. For example: WS-2000, WS-5000, WS-2902A...and others. But not WS-1900 because that doesn't connect to the Internet. But you can add an ObserverIP to some models to add this capability, or add a second display with the capability.
  • Buy a WeatherBridge from Ambient (this what they call a Meteobridge, it is the same thing it just has a different name). The Ambient WeatherBridge has the required license built-in. Tip: add a GW1000 to gain Meteobridge/WeatherBridge compatibility for your Fine Offset clone station. Davis stations can support various versions of the Meteobridge depedning on their logger: USB, IP, or the new WLL, or they can use the NANO version.
  • Buy a Meteobridge elsewhere or make your own and then add the $100 license from Ambient (new lower price, previously it was $160). You only need to buy this one time license if your Meteobridge didn't come from Ambient.
    https://www.ambientweather.com/amwevwamweac.html
  • Make sure your station has the latest firmware. Updating which you should do anyway may gain you this ability.

* Your Meteobridge/WeatherBridge can be the standard, NANO, or PRO model. Ambient currently only sells the standard and the NANO. But if you bought the PRO from Ambient back when the used to sell it then you are all set.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 05:52:36 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: How to upload to Ambientweather.net
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 01:44:10 PM »
Some of the benefits of uploading to Ambientweather.net

This is not intended to be a comprehensive list of benefits of using Ambientweather.net. Perhaps if you find a new use you can share as a followup to this thread. Also the service is evolving and new features are coming.

Some benefits:
  • Data is accessible via Internet API. Many software and 3rd party scripts have been written to take advantage of this data.
  • You can connect Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant to integrate with your station data.
  • Integrate with IFTTT
  • Available for anyone to use without a station and without a login. Although there are extra features if you create a free login.
  • Get not just live weather but also forecasts that are source from Dark Sky (one of the best forecasting resources available)
  • See your weather station data updated up to every 1 minute.
  • Large weather station network of personal and NWS MADIS stations, making up 80,000 stations and growing
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 02:31:56 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline cheeroip

• Holocene human / dev / tinkerer
  • Developer
    • DTVRC
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 01:00:17 PM »

Uploading to Ambientweather.net is limited because to run this service requires resource expenditure. The more stations and data the costlier it is to run, maintain and support. Ambient does not make any money off your data.

I don't really agree about that. The cost  of receiving 1 million stations data (they wish) is probably not much different than receiving 10 thousands (I have no idea how many Ambient weather stations are actually actives. Having a service with a million station data would be way more "valuable" than the cost of running the service. Not that they risk to ever be able to have those numbers anyway. If the cost was the problem why don't offer different services for official stations and a showing ads and limited services to people that upload from clones?

I believe the issue could be more about trying to keep garbage free data as much as possible.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 01:16:21 PM »
Are you going to make the same argument for Weatherlink.com and myAcurite.com?

Tele-Pole

Offline cheeroip

• Holocene human / dev / tinkerer
  • Developer
    • DTVRC
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 01:32:17 PM »
Are you going to make the same argument for Weatherlink.com and myAcurite.com?
I don't know anything about them but of course is the same for everybody. I'm speaking from my pragmatic technical uninformed user pov.
Im sure their business model justify whatever they are doing. Just suggesting that there could be different approaches. 

Offline Chucktin

• Kathouse
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 06:04:10 AM »
Hmm, you never did post how to go about posting to Ambient Net. Just that you need (current) "white-listed" Ambient Hardware.
I think it's safe to assume that that means the signal going out carries an ID that the web page will accept/reject based on their "white listing"?
But I was hoping for some hints as to why, after several attempts, my Ambient Falcon PWS is not registered (thought I established that with the MAC address?) and shown on the Ambient site.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 09:22:07 AM »
The "how" part in the title was just meant to be a lure and to match what people are thinking. Often people just ask the wrong question. There is no how. People may have a Froggit system and wonder "how do I upload to Ambientweather.net?" Then the crux of the question is to learn that there is no "how." Your station either automatically does or doesn't upload to Ambientweather.net after you get it online because it was designed to do so or not. A Froggit will never itself upload to Ambientweather.net because it isn't designed nor licensed to do so (without extra hardware). The hardware has to have been designed to upload to Ambientweather.net, and then it does it automatically. Therefore all that is required is that you own the proper hardware and you get it online and your create your free Ambientweather.net account and enter your station's MAC address and done. If you don't see data then you probably don't have a station that was designed to upload to Ambientweather.net. I'm not certain that the Falcon qualifies as having Ambientweather.net upload support. Maybe it does but you have really old firmware since before it gained this support. I know that to be true for the ObserverIP for example.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 05:49:12 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Chucktin

• Kathouse
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 05:28:37 PM »
Ok I think I've DL'd the firmware update. I'll try loading it.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 05:53:11 PM »
I've updated the OP to remind people to update their firmware.
Tele-Pole

Offline wxthomson

• http://www.minnetonkaweather.com
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2020, 07:02:08 PM »
I bought my Meteobridge Pro from Ambient.
from what is stated above it sounds like I should be able to upload to Ambientweather.net.

however I can't.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2020, 08:30:35 PM »
from what is stated above it sounds like I should be able to upload to Ambientweather.net.

however I can't.
What firmware version is your Meteobridge Pro running?
Tele-Pole

Offline wxthomson

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2020, 09:51:37 PM »

however I can't.

Meteobridge 4.3 (Jun 30 2020, build 13605), FW 1.4

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2020, 09:54:08 PM »

however I can't.

I would contact Ambient and let them know. Give them the MAC address of your Meteobridge as they will need to whitelist it. I've heard of this happening to some older Meteobridges.
Tele-Pole

Offline wxthomson

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2020, 09:56:47 PM »

however I can't.

I would contact Ambient and let them know. Give them the MAC address of your Meteobridge as they will need to whitelist it. I've heard of this happening to some older Meteobridges.

I've sent an email to support.
I just received this one today from Ambient.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2020, 10:12:42 PM »
You are saying you just received what from Ambient today?...an email?...or the Meteobridge Pro?
Tele-Pole

Offline wxthomson

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2020, 10:15:53 PM »
You are saying you just received what from Ambient today?...an email?...or the Meteobridge Pro?

The Meteobridge Pro

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2020, 10:19:38 PM »

The Meteobridge Pro

What a surprise. They haven't had the Meteobridge Pro Red in stock for ages, which is why I wasn't sure what you meant. I just looked and sure enough there it is in stock...but still marked as Discontinued....whatever that means. I think they forgot to whitelist this new stock. You can see right from their product page that Ambientweather.net is supported.
https://www.ambientweather.com/amweatherbridgepro.html

« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 10:31:45 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline SWX

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2020, 02:14:13 PM »
What data does the WeatherBridge upload to Ambient (and elsewhere)? Is it only temp/rain/UV/etc. or can it also handle PM2.5, lightning, etc.?
Wunderground / PWS Weather
Ambient Weather WS-2902A
Ambient WeatherBridge
Ecowitt GW1000
Ecowitt WH31
Ecowitt WH41
Ecowitt WH51 x 2
Ecowitt WH57
Ecowitt WS68

Offline Platokidd

• top side land of Lincoln
  • Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2020, 02:19:44 PM »
What data does the WeatherBridge upload to Ambient (and elsewhere)? Is it only temp/rain/UV/etc. or can it also handle PM2.5, lightning, etc.?

To Ambient, one PM2.5 and Lighting. Plus any other temp sensors. Have not seen any of mentioned sensors sent anywhere else.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 02:22:24 PM by platokidd »
Ambient
1-WS-5000 1-WS-2902A 2-WS40/RAIN 1-WH31L 
1-METEOBRIDGE 1-PM2.5 (WH41B) 3-WH31 1-SRX100LX

ECOWITT
2-HP2550 2-HP2560 2-GW2000 2-GW1100
2-WS68 1-WS80 1-WH32EP 10-WH31 1-WH40
1-HP10 2-WH45 4-WH55 5-WH51
1-WN30 1-WH41

1-DAVIS 7714
1-STRATUS
1-Fisher Barometer 1436R-22
PWS at 2 locations.
1- Storm Sensor-Zelda the dog ;)

Offline Raimon P

• MeteoPlaXic
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2020, 11:47:34 AM »
With the MAC address of my HP1000SE PRO / HP2551, can I buy a license to Ambient Weather? Or do I necessarily need a WeatherBridge?
Thanks!

FROGGIT HP1000SE PRO_V1.8.1 + EasyWeather V1.6.4 | DP60 | DP200 | DP100

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2020, 12:09:51 PM »
With the MAC address of my HP1000SE PRO / HP2551, can I buy a license to Ambient Weather? Or do I necessarily need a WeatherBridge?
Thanks!

It wouldn't make sense to buy the license for use with an HP1000SE PRO. Because you would not be able to use the license, as the HP1000SE PRO has no way to upload to Ambientweather.net. The firmware in your station is different. Even the "Customized" server upload feature is not compatible with Ambientweather.net because the Ecowitt.net protocol is slightly different to the Ambientweather.net protocol.

The add-on license is only intended for those that didn't get their Meteobridge from Ambient.

The good news is that all you need is a GW1000 and the WeatherBridge (or Meteobridge + license) to then be able to upload to Ambientweather.net

« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 01:49:27 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2020, 01:42:47 PM »
Now that I have one I realize it should have been the first choice for my liking.

Exceptional capabilites.

Offline SWX

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2021, 10:21:51 AM »
For some reason the data from my PM2.5 sensor no longer appears on Ambient, lightning sensor + additional temp sensor still does.
Wunderground / PWS Weather
Ambient Weather WS-2902A
Ambient WeatherBridge
Ecowitt GW1000
Ecowitt WH31
Ecowitt WH41
Ecowitt WH51 x 2
Ecowitt WH57
Ecowitt WS68

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2021, 10:25:41 AM »
For some reason the data from my PM2.5 sensor no longer appears on Ambient, lightning sensor + additional temp sensor still does.

I noticed that too. I suspect a bug in the Meteobridge software. I recommend posting in the Meteobridge forum so that Boris can have a look.
Tele-Pole

Offline Platokidd

• top side land of Lincoln
  • Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2021, 06:51:28 AM »

One of two of my pm2.5 senors show as I had to re-add both. Lighting sensor don't show and see no way of adding it back.
Ambient
1-WS-5000 1-WS-2902A 2-WS40/RAIN 1-WH31L 
1-METEOBRIDGE 1-PM2.5 (WH41B) 3-WH31 1-SRX100LX

ECOWITT
2-HP2550 2-HP2560 2-GW2000 2-GW1100
2-WS68 1-WS80 1-WH32EP 10-WH31 1-WH40
1-HP10 2-WH45 4-WH55 5-WH51
1-WN30 1-WH41

1-DAVIS 7714
1-STRATUS
1-Fisher Barometer 1436R-22
PWS at 2 locations.