Author Topic: Hope everyone is ok...Wash your hands.  (Read 58128 times)

Online Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
Re: Hope everyone is ok...Wash your hands.
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2020, 10:34:08 AM »
My college kid is home for the rest of the semester. Remote classes start in two weeks. High school kid home for a minimum of two weeks to be reassessed end of the month. Metro Boston is one of the hot spots (do a web search on "biogen boston coronavirus") so we're taking this pretty seriously. No one in the house is in the compromised-health population but I don't want to get it and pass it on to anyone who is.

Saw some estimates from epidemiologists today that predict the peak isn't coming until May.

Whoever said "may you live in interesting times" is no friend of mine...

https://lexmaweather.info
On Mastodon: @LexMAWeather@toot.community

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2020, 11:00:21 AM »
All provincial funded schools here closed for three weeks. More to follow I'm sure.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2020, 11:02:21 AM »

Saw some estimates from epidemiologists today that predict the peak isn't coming until May.

I saw reports that 3 months hence they are returning to public at the epicenter.

So when did it start for your locale?

Online Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2020, 11:30:34 AM »
I saw reports that 3 months hence they are returning to public at the epicenter.

So when did it start for your locale?

First case in MA was Feb. 1, but the Biogen meeting that is considered the start of the wider outbreak was March 5. By the 10th, 92 cases were identified (presumptive and confirmed).

Edit: The Biogen meeting was the previous week. March 5 is when three cases from that meeting were identified.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 11:32:11 AM by Jasiu »

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2020, 01:27:58 PM »
Hopefully this local message stays true:

There is a rumor about there being an active case of COVID-19 at Stillwater Medical Center. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY FALSE! However, if we do end up with a case, we are prepared to handle it and will keep our patients and our staff safe. Thank you.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2020, 02:12:34 PM »
We had a similar rumor going around that there was a positive also turns out false. Oh and this was from a supposedly reliable source... NOT.
They do have the clinics here testing possible cases but we also have the influenza A going around.
Randy

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2020, 02:42:38 PM »
So much for this travel ban. Not seeing the number of planes decrease from a couple days ago. See my previous post on this thread for a comparison before the travel ban.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2020, 03:24:49 PM »
Some good news yesterday the Nebraska Dept of health said only 2% tested for suspected COVID-19 has been positive. So basically 14 cases statewide and 7 of whom were from the same family that recently traveled to California and Nevada.

The clinics here in small-town have tested around 10 people suspected with zero reported positive.

This whole thing may be more bark than bite.

Correction 7 in the family.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 03:28:57 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2020, 03:26:35 PM »
I can see a decrease in density for sure in your picture comparison re flights
re testing
sometimes follow up tests are needed
but for every 1 person positive there could be 100's more unknown cases (and even those people do not know) due to the incubation period can be long

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2020, 04:15:36 PM »
I sure dont see the accelerated rate of cases here that was seen in China, Italy, and now Spain. I think we are just not as densely packed kids all the time by default.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2020, 04:37:50 PM »
I sure dont see the accelerated rate of cases here that was seen in China, Italy, and now Spain. I think we are just not as densely packed kids all the time by default.

US is only about a week in.  You need to look at the acceleration rate - that is  going to rise a lot of the next 7-10 days.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2020, 05:40:12 PM »
I was musing about time line. Some acceleration  to come yet no doubt but with such widespread shutdowns at an early stage surely will curb or at least flatten the curve, surely.

I've not had the intestinal fortitude to check Mutual account in like two weeks.

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2020, 05:56:39 PM »
There's a very illuminating interactive chart at the link below that illustrates the different potential impacts of covid-19 on the U.S. population depending on the speed of implementing precautionary measures and the intensity of those interventions. The link should be accessible without a subscription as a few articles are usually allowed to be viewed before any restrictions are applied via cookies.

To quote the authors of the accompanying article:
None of us know what lies ahead. But the wise uncertainty of epidemiologists is preferable to the confident bluster of television blowhards. The one thing we can be confident of is that enormous risks lie ahead — including a huge loss of life — if we don’t take aggressive action.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/13/opinion/coronavirus-trump-response.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 09:33:55 PM by BeaverMeadow »

Online tweatherman

• Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2020, 07:16:22 PM »
This has been around since the 1960's!

Coronaviruses were first discovered in the 1960s.[8] The earliest ones discovered were an infectious bronchitis virus in chickens and two in human patients with the common cold (later named human coronavirus 229E and human coronavirus OC43).[9] Other members of this family have since been identified, including SARS-CoV in 2003, HCoV NL63 in 2004, HKU1 in 2005, MERS-CoV in 2012, and SARS-CoV-2 (formerly known as 2019-nCoV) in 2019. Most of these have involved serious respiratory tract infections.
Almost everyone gets infected with a coronavirus at some point. Usually, the symptoms are mild and last for just a few days. In rare cases, a coronavirus infection can lead to a more serious problem like pneumonia or MERS, a severe infection of the respiratory tract that hasn't been found outside of the Arabian Peninsula.

tweatherman
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 07:21:49 PM by tweatherman »

Online Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2020, 07:40:07 PM »
This is a coronavirus for which no one has immunity (hence the "novel" tag). Everyone who has had the common cold has had a coronavirus. But that doesn't do you any good if you catch this one.

The two biggest issues at this point:

1) Preventing infection of those who would be most vunerable (older population, those with other health conditions that lower their ability to fight it).

2) "Flattening the curve" - spreading the infections out over time so that at no particular point does the health care system get overwhelmed.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2020, 10:04:13 PM »
The Stillwater Jazz Band concert wasn't canceled and neither was the big bike race. 

The rain still fell, mud was still splattered and champagne still sprayed on the winner.  Despite the national emergency regarding the coronavirus, Stillwater’s annual gravel bicycle race The Mid South happened Saturday.

About half the field of entrants showed up – which still numbered over 1,000 – and after a short lightning delay in the morning, started their races across Payne County a little after 8 a.m.

With the rain pouring down and cowbells ringing down Main Street, the riders pressed on, most for 50 miles and some for the challenging 100-mile course.

Event manager Sally Asher said she was pleased with how the race was still able to go on in spite of many events closing around the country over the past week.  More at:  https://www.stwnewspress.com/news/the-show-goes-on-the-mid-south-bike-race-crowns/article_aec31909-3458-5579-b3c3-16d21e0a5c13.html

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline the beteljuice

• the beteljuice
  • Forecaster
    • test site
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2020, 11:41:35 PM »
Things must be about to go bad here in the UK ...

One of the UKs largest supermarkets (In the early hours of a Sunday) is sending out this email to customers ...
Dear **********,

You will have seen that, due to the ongoing uncertainty around the full impact of Coronavirus, supermarkets have been much busier than usual and customers are choosing to stock up.

I wanted to personally reassure you that we have more food and other essential items coming to us from manufacturers and into our warehouses and distribution centres. If we all shop just for the food that we and our families need, there will be enough for everyone.

I also wanted to let you know that at Sainsbury's, we are working really hard to ensure this remains the case. Over the past two weeks we have:

- Ordered more stock of essential items from our suppliers

- Put more capacity into our warehouses and

- Set limits on a small number of items, including some cleaning products, soap and pain relief.

This is a precautionary measure - if everyone shops normally, there will be enough for everyone.

There are gaps on shelves because of increased demand, but we have new stock arriving regularly and we're doing our best to keep shelves stocked. Our store colleagues are working tirelessly and doing the best job they can.

Which brings me onto a request. Please think before you buy and only buy what you and your family need. If we all do this then we can make sure we have enough for everyone. And please help elderly and vulnerable friends, family and neighbours with their shopping if you can.

I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for your continued support and to thank our colleagues who are all working incredibly hard to ensure we can continue to serve our customers well.
Imagine what you will KNOW tomorrow !

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2020, 05:04:55 AM »
That supermarket chain is missing the big picture. People are not stocking up because they fear that there will be shortages. No, people are stocking up because they are self quarantining to limit potential exposure to the virus. People don't want to go to the grocery store every 3 days as they previously were accustomed to.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2020, 05:22:20 AM »
Yes, that was why I started stocking a month ago was to limit exposure and minimize chances being I'm now at a higher risk above 60.
The Novel tag is what worried me about this not really knowing about the long term especially with people still testing positive after 40 days in the Nebraska Disease Control Center is a little scary.
Hopefully, the virus is dead they are petri dish testing now. If they find the virus still active this would be bad, I'll leave it at that.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 05:38:21 AM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2020, 06:35:27 AM »
The supermarket situation is pretty much mirrored here. Ridiculous really. It is downright abhorrent though the couple buying out wipes and marking up outrageous amount.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2020, 07:16:18 PM »
Effective March 15, Wal-Marts that have been open 24 hr a day will start closing at 11pm and reopen at 6am.   It's to better keep up with customer demand by stocking products, and to clean and sanitize stores.

Meanwhile:

"A person in Payne County has tested positive for the novel coronavirus, according to the Oklahoma State Department of Health.

The OSDH released a situation update Sunday. The update included three new positive cases in Payne, Cleveland and Tulsa counties.

"County health officials are working with each case to determine close contacts and any further need for testing," the release states. "Moving forward, the CDC is no longer confirming presumptive positive cases. All positive cases reported in the Oklahoma State Department of Health public health laboratory will stand as confirmed.

"We continue to work with health care providers and are testing individuals who are recommended for testing by a provider."

Oklahoma now has seven total cases five women and two men. Three are in the 18-49 range, three are in the 50-64 range and one is is 65-plus.

A rumor last week tried to tie a case to Stillwater Medical Center. That was unfounded, and SMC published a statement earlier today that said Payne County's COVID-19 has nothing to do with the hospital.

"We have not yet received detailed information from OSDH, as they are continuing their investigation," the statement reads. "At this point, we can assure you that this case is NOT connected to Stillwater Medical Center or Oklahoma State University."

After learning the news, Stillwater Mayor Will Joyce tweeted that it "was not surprising."

"It's not surprising that the coronavirus has shown up close to home, and it's not a reason to panic," he wrote. "As we announced Friday, the City is taking steps (to) impose and encourage social distancing in Stillwater, and we all need to commit ourselves to slowing the spread of the virus to the full extent possible.

"We will be in communication with State and local health officials and evaluating whether additional mitigation plans should be implemented. I will do my best to keep you informed as we move forward."

The City of Stillwater on Friday sent out a release that discouraged large gatherings but did not call for an out-right ban as some cities have. It is also closing the Senior Activity Center. Nursing homes around town have discouraged visitors and several events have been canceled.   Excerpt from the March 15 Stillwater News Press. "

Offline the beteljuice

• the beteljuice
  • Forecaster
    • test site
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2020, 08:43:21 PM »
UK government is quietly 'suggesting' that people aged 70+ might think about closing their doors for three to four months !

Recommending that others do their shopping, knock the door and run  :roll:
Imagine what you will KNOW tomorrow !

Online Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2020, 08:45:13 PM »
Massachusetts has ordered all K-12 schools (public and private) closed through April 6. Restaurants and bars closed until April 17, but kitchens can stay open for takeout and delivery. No gatherings over 25 people. The Governor said just yesterday he wasn't going to do this, but the lack of voluntary adherence (particularly as displayed all over social media) forced his hand.

164 cases known in the state, fewer than 800 tests done so far. These numbers will be changing dramatically over the next few days.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2020, 08:52:48 PM »
UK government is quietly 'suggesting' that people aged 70+ might think about closing their doors for three to four months !

Recommending that others do their shopping, knock the door and run  :roll:

Grocers here are advertising the service for free. Just pay for grub and get a drop and run delivery.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2020, 10:13:26 PM »
Oh, no, this is probably how it going to look like in towns across much of America in coming days.  Just one case can do it at least in Oklahoma.

Stillwater Declares State of Emergency Over COVID-19: City to close some facilities, cancel activities and meetings in City-owned facilities until April 5

MEDIA RELEASE

(STILLWATER, OKLAHOMA / March 15, 2020) — Due to a recently confirmed case of COVID-19 in Payne County, Mayor Will Joyce has declared a state of emergency in Stillwater in response to the spreading COVID-19 virus.

This declaration closes some City-owned facilities, cancels events and meetings, and highly encourages local restaurants, bars and businesses to impose strict social distancing measures. It will begin Monday, March 16 at 12 a.m. and will remain in effect until Sunday, April 5—but it can be extended if need be.

The City-owned facilities that will be closed during this time are listed below:
• Stillwater Public Library
• Stillwater Community Center
• Stillwater Senior Center
• Stillwater Parks and Recreation (facilities and events)
• Stillwater Area Sports Association (leagues and events)

All core City services will remain operational and all City employees will report to work as usual.

This declaration includes the cancellation of all activities and meetings at the Stillwater Community Center, the Senior Activity Center, Stillwater Area Sports Association (SASA) and Stillwater Public Library. Park shelter rentals will be closed, though residents are still permitted to use Stillwater’s parks. Events at Lake McMurtry will be cancelled, however individual use of the lake will be allowed. Planning Commission, citizen task force and City advisory board meetings are cancelled during this time. Municipal Court dockets are cancelled—the court clerk will issue written notification of new court dates.

Stillwater City Council, Stillwater Utilities Authority (SUA), and the Stillwater Medical Center Authority will meet as usual and remain open to the public, although steps will be taken to maintain social distancing for in-person attendees. Council and SUA meetings will remain televised. Check stillwater.org/agenda to see potential meeting cancellations.

In addition, the City strongly encourages the cancellation of all in-person gatherings. Restaurants, bars and similar facilities are encouraged to limit the number of patrons allowed inside and to pursue take-out or delivery options. Gym facilities are also encouraged to discontinue group activities.

“We understand these are major disruptions to local businesses and to all of our daily routines. However, this was not a decision that was taken lightly,” said Mayor Will Joyce. “The spread of COVID-19 is a serious public health emergency and we must be aggressive in our efforts to protect the lives of our community members. We are in close contact with all public health authorities and our local partners. We will continue to be vigilant and responsive as the situation evolves.”