Author Topic: Weather Underground keeps showing Web Cam Offline  (Read 7676 times)

Offline TinkerTown

Re: Weather Underground keeps showing Web Cam Offline
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2021, 12:48:51 PM »
Your station says there is no webcam associated, on Wunderground try  going to My Profile/My Devices,
On the Manage Devices page select edit your PWS and use the Associate Webcam dropdown menu to select your webcam

OK. I thought I had done that, but I just did it again and selected the webcam to associate with the station. Do you see any difference?

Thanks!
Ecowitt GW1000 | WS-2902C |Weewx on Raspberry Pi
WU: KNMLOVIN14  |  PWSweather: PWSLOVNM1
CWOP: FW9112; https://lovingtonweather.com

Offline jimi

• Contributor
    • Well Road Weather
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2021, 12:55:07 PM »
I can see your camera is now listed with your station but no images yet. On your devices page is your camera shown as online or offline green dot or red ?
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2021, 01:05:45 PM »
It is likely a WU issue.
I am seeing the same that my camera is currently not shown, nor has been for the several days, with my ID [size=78%]Personal Weather Station Dashboard | Weather Underground (wunderground.com)[/size]
I've had similar periods of no images a number of times over the past 12 years that the camera has been on WU.
In settings my CAM1 is green buttion active status and associated with my IONTARIO226.
Going direct to the device URL it does show [/size][size=78%]Webcam Dashboard | Weather Underground (wunderground.com)[/size]

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline TinkerTown

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2021, 01:11:47 PM »
I can see your camera is now listed with your station but no images yet. On your devices page is your camera shown as online or offline green dot or red ?

It still says Offline :(

Offline TinkerTown

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2021, 02:16:33 PM »
It is likely a WU issue.
I am seeing the same that my camera is currently not shown, nor has been for the several days, with my ID [size=78%]Personal Weather Station Dashboard | Weather Underground (wunderground.com)[/size]
I've had similar periods of no images a number of times over the past 12 years that the camera has been on WU.
In settings my CAM1 is green buttion active status and associated with my IONTARIO226.
Going direct to the device URL it does show [/size][size=78%]Webcam Dashboard | Weather Underground (wunderground.com)[/size]

Enjoy,
Paul

It seems weird. Everything looks like it should work, the settings in BI are correct, as far as I can tell. When I do a test, it shows the upload of the file and says successful.  I do see a file on the WU server-side that says .ftpquota, which I assume is their enforcement of a file size quota. So I have reduced the quality of the image I am uploading to be under the size I found on the forums here (180k). I have to assume BI is FTP'ing the data correctly as the same settings are used for Ambient Weather's FTP and it is working.

Offline jimi

• Contributor
    • Well Road Weather
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2021, 02:44:37 PM »
Could be WU but my camera and many others are still working fine, I haven't had any problems with the WU upload for over a year and even then the problems were of my making.
If it's showing offline then it's likely a problem with the upload. In your ftp upload settings are you using the device ID (from your Wunderground devices page) for the username and the device key as password ( make sure you copy them exactly) ? also as a trial try reducing the upload frequency to once every 5 mins.

Offline jimi

• Contributor
    • Well Road Weather
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2021, 02:47:28 PM »
Even with an upload success if the image name is wrong or the file size to big WU will still show your cam as offline. Try reducing your image size to under 100k as a test
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IFIFEGLE4
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 02:50:49 PM by jimi »

Offline TinkerTown

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2021, 02:55:31 PM »
Could be WU but my camera and many others are still working fine, I haven't had any problems with the WU upload for over a year and even then the problems were of my making.
If it's showing offline then it's likely a problem with the upload. In your ftp upload settings are you using the device ID (from your Wunderground devices page) for the username and the device key as password ( make sure you copy them exactly) ? also as a trial try reducing the upload frequency to once every 5 mins.

I will change the upload frequency to every five minutes and see if that changes the results.

Yes, the credentials are the same as in WU and the test says it works.

Connecting to webcam.wunderground.com
Connected
Uploading to /ftptest.txt
Sending
Successful

I also have BI create a local image to make sure is it creating an image and those images run anywhere from 80KB to 83KB, so it should be under  100KB.

Offline jimi

• Contributor
    • Well Road Weather
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2021, 07:26:13 PM »
File size should be fine, mine are around 90.
One other thing you could try is to use another ftp client (a free one like Filezilla) and try using that to uploadi one of your images to WU, see if that works. I've done that myself and it works.

Offline TinkerTown

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2021, 07:10:11 PM »
It is either BI not sending to WU, or it is WU. I can't tell. BI isn't providing a detailed enough log, though it is not saying it is failing, so the absence of something might mean it is working and since Ambient Weather is working. I sent an email to them, but who knows if I will see a reply.

Offline mstan

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2021, 12:18:05 PM »
I've been following along. I've got the same issues using the same setup. Blue Iris is sending the image file but the wu site is not receiving. I can log into wu ftp with fz and see that are no files under the / dir.
When I setup BI to ftp the same image file to my own hosted ftp site it works fine. The thing I don't get is how can you keep sending the same image.jpg file when I do that with FZ it asks if i want to overwrite the one thats there. Soo maybe thats why its failing. Any one that has this working please chime in. OK I found something interesting when I upload the image.jpg file with fz it uploads fine u can see it in the \dir...but it doesn't stay maybe they move it to another dir and thats how you can keep uploading the same file every 5 min. Soo you really can't view your files its always empty.

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KOHNEWMI2
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 01:33:33 PM by mstan »

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2021, 12:17:33 AM »
BlueIris overwrites the file without prompting.

Offline TinkerTown

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2021, 08:55:08 AM »
I've been following along. I've got the same issues using the same setup. Blue Iris is sending the image file but the wu site is not receiving. I can log into wu ftp with fz and see that are no files under the / dir.
When I setup BI to ftp the same image file to my own hosted ftp site it works fine. The thing I don't get is how can you keep sending the same image.jpg file when I do that with FZ it asks if i want to overwrite the one thats there. Soo maybe thats why its failing. Any one that has this working please chime in. OK I found something interesting when I upload the image.jpg file with fz it uploads fine u can see it in the \dir...but it doesn't stay maybe they move it to another dir and thats how you can keep uploading the same file every 5 min. Soo you really can't view your files its always empty.

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KOHNEWMI2

Yeah, I am getting the same thing. They do move the image as soon as it is uploaded, and the FTPQUOTA file gets modified to add it to the quota it has. But there is something wrong with the creation of the FTP account and their webpage that displays the images or something. I don't know their process, but I use BI to FTP to Ambient Weather, WOW, and a few others and they all work, except WU.

Offline TinkerTown

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2021, 12:54:10 PM »
Holy macaroni! My webcam finally started working!

It isn't showing up on the dashboard for me, but it is on the map and shows green, so not sure about that.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 12:55:55 PM by TinkerTown »

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2021, 05:22:21 PM »
The inept coders giveth, the inept coders taketh away...

Offline TinkerTown

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2021, 06:00:38 PM »
The inept coders giveth, the inept coders taketh away...

Yeah, it's weird. Something is jacked.

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/webcam/wu-4118204/5

Offline mstan

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2021, 10:38:16 AM »
Wow! It looks like it started working. Mine still shows offline. What settings are you using in BI? I think you changed a few. I just want to see if our settings are the same. Thanks.

Offline TinkerTown

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2021, 11:15:43 AM »
Other than deleting and creating a bunch of other cameras? Lol, not much. It still says I don't have a camera on my dashboard, but in devices, it does show green and it does show up on the wundermap, so not sure what is up. I did change it from webcam.wunderground.com to the IP directly. I thought maybe they were having a problem with their clustering of the three servers it sounds like they have associated with the webcam.wunderground.com domain. Just a guess, but I had seen others mention the IP worked, directly. It didn't work at first, I was getting authentication errors. Eventually, I just gave up but left it attempting. Then I guess it started to upload.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline mstan

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2021, 12:36:45 PM »
Ok I will give these a try. What is your image size at 50% and default?

Offline TinkerTown

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2021, 12:50:25 PM »
Ok I will give these a try. What is your image size at 50% and default?

Around 150KB

Offline StarAirVision

• Star Air Vision
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2021, 08:32:14 PM »
Not sure if this will help or not but I managed to get my ftp webcam up and running and then it looks like now there's a drop of water on the lens hahahah

I'm using:
webcam.wunderground.com
ftp.InitFile("Type A"); <--- I'm still looking into what the means exactly, so far it looks like it means 8bit which explains why only images of a certain file size will make it to the server.
Directory is "/"
There's no mention of any port in the code, I'm guessing it has a default of 21

Here's the guide to build a camera:
https://starairvision.com/esp32-cam-ftp-webcam-for-weather-underground-with-solar-power/

Offline pns

« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2021, 05:02:38 PM »
This may possibly help -
I landed on this page after searching about issues with WU not displaying my uploaded webcam images (as reported elsewhere, I was just seeing a spinning circle when trying to view my webcam images).
I could tell that my FTP uploads were working OK, the image was correctly named and within size limits, it just wasn't showing on WU.
I went into 'Manage devices' on WU, and added a 'Device Name' for the camera (this is separate from the 'ID' which the camera has of course had - I don't think it ever had a name previously, just the ID.)

As soon as I'd saved that, I was able to view the uploaded images (as composited videos), not only the latest, but all the others that had been uploaded for prior times / dates.
It used to be possible to see 'noon photos' in a calendar layout, but I can no longer spot that page (I may just be missing a trick of course)

One 'gotcha'  -   I noticed that after making this change, my new images weren't being uploaded, and were failing with an FTP authentication error.
The 'Manage devices' page for the camera does show a key, and by using that key as the new FTP password, the uploads started again.

So if you're having issues either with the FTP uploads, or being able to retrieve camera data that you think has been uploaded, it might be worth checking that your camera has a device name as well as an ID, and that you're using the key shown in its config as the FTP password.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:07:42 PM by pns »

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2021, 07:51:51 PM »
Interesting about the name.

I never used anything besides the KEY as password, per the instructions.

But I would almost swear I changed the name when it started working again.

Might have to try a test.

Offline TinkerTown

« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2021, 08:11:55 PM »
This may possibly help -
I landed on this page after searching about issues with WU not displaying my uploaded webcam images (as reported elsewhere, I was just seeing a spinning circle when trying to view my webcam images).
I could tell that my FTP uploads were working OK, the image was correctly named and within size limits, it just wasn't showing on WU.
I went into 'Manage devices' on WU, and added a 'Device Name' for the camera (this is separate from the 'ID' which the camera has of course had - I don't think it ever had a name previously, just the ID.)

As soon as I'd saved that, I was able to view the uploaded images (as composited videos), not only the latest, but all the others that had been uploaded for prior times / dates.
It used to be possible to see 'noon photos' in a calendar layout, but I can no longer spot that page (I may just be missing a trick of course)

One 'gotcha'  -   I noticed that after making this change, my new images weren't being uploaded, and were failing with an FTP authentication error.
The 'Manage devices' page for the camera does show a key, and by using that key as the new FTP password, the uploads started again.

So if you're having issues either with the FTP uploads, or being able to retrieve camera data that you think has been uploaded, it might be worth checking that your camera has a device name as well as an ID, and that you're using the key shown in its config as the FTP password.

The Device Name is required, I am surprised yours would work if it didn't have one.

My issue is that my images are uploaded, and it makes a video and shows up on the underground map, but it says no device associated with my station when I view just the weather station. It just says Associated Webcam, there is no associated webcam with this station.

I do have a device name and have it associated with my station. The only thing I was thinking of was maybe I have a space in the device name, but I can't imagine that would make a difference.

Of course, I just checked it and now it is offline, so who knows with them. I am surprised they have so many issues that haven't been fixed.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2021, 09:16:27 PM »
Funny you should say that. I show offline too. Time lapse for yesterday but not today.

Thinking back the name "change" was when I deleted and set up new. I put that new name on the cam. It has a space so I don't know what the magic combo is.