Author Topic: Windy station vs. CWOP station  (Read 2206 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Windy station vs. CWOP station
« on: April 26, 2019, 11:51:24 AM »
I've noticed a few differences when reporting to Windy directly with my station versus my CWOP station that also shows up on Windy. If you thought there wasn't any benefit to having a Windy station if you already have a CWOP station this might give you some incentive. If you know of other differences please share.

• The reporting delay is much better with a Windy station as the data shows up immediately after posting and has an average delay of 5 minutes. By uploading every 5 minutes your data is never older than 5 minutes. With a CWOP station the data is delayed on average about 10 minutes, which means the data can actually be as old as 15 or 19 minutes.
[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

• With a Windy station you get rain forecasting. With my CWOP station I don't see the rain forecasting.

• Windy stations show a graph label called Category which I have no idea what it represents as there doesn't seem to be any data or indication as to what this means. CWOP stations don't have this. If anyone knows please let us know.

I cross posted this on Windy. Maybe it will get different eyes and responses there:
https://community.windy.com/topic/8263/windy-station-vs-cwop-station
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 12:02:14 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Re: Windy station vs. CWOP station
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 05:52:48 PM »

Offline quailvalleywx

Re: Windy station vs. CWOP station
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 08:17:20 PM »
With my CWOP station I don't see the rain forecasting.
Me neither on that display but if I click "Forecast for this Location",
I see the location based forecast based on the forecast model selected.  I bet it's just a bug/oversight since the precip forecast should not depend on CWOP nor Windy PWS data.  None of the forecast models listed use CWOP data as far as I know.  Maybe US based models RAP -> HRRR (neither utilized by Windy) use CWOP/MesoWest with some limited weighting but not sure about that.

I'm OK with the data delay to Windy for now but at some point may add sending directly to them.  Their map display is awesome!  It sure makes Wundermap look dated and slow.
WS-1400-IP, Galaxy S3 for cloud cam and Web Server
QV Website | Source Code | WU | WC | PWS | MesoWest/CWOP