Author Topic: Physical installation (VP2+ ISS & Anemometer) FAQ ?  (Read 1659 times)

Offline Snowda

Physical installation (VP2+ ISS & Anemometer) FAQ ?
« on: May 17, 2021, 07:12:05 PM »
Is there a good resource for information on the physical installation of a weather station? E.G., what kinds of pipe and fittings to use, what to avoid, best procedures for getting it up, ideas for moving (for us on dock in summer and somewhere on land in winter (though tempting to sink a pole in to the ice for the winter but given ice movement it could end up destroyed)).

In my specific case (https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41964) I'm initially planning to attach a 16' pole to the side of a boat lift for a VP2+. Getting the ISS (@ 10-12') and anemometer (@16') above the canopy might be tricky. I'll also have a leaf transmitter on there w/ 4 temp probes for water temps.

1) Is it reasonable to attach the ISS and anemometer to the pole on the ground and then tilt the whole package upright and fasten to the pole? I'm not sure I can put a ladder up to mount the ISS w/ the pole pre-installed.

2) Recommendations on pole material? 1.25" OD black pipe? Is there a good aluminum option that might work?

3) Would large hose clamps be sufficient to secure it to the lift upright? Other ideas?

Thanks,

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline archae86

• Senior Contributor
    • LynxStoll weather
aluminum tubing
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 08:31:42 AM »
2) Recommendations on pole material? 1.25" OD black pipe? Is there a good aluminum option that might work?
I believe I used  6061 T6 1.25" OD 0.125" wall thickness Aluminum tubing to mount mine.  It seemed quite satisfactory.  I painted it to a color near that of my stucco, just so it would fit in better.  No obvious deterioration in a decade.

Offline Snowda

Re: Physical installation (VP2+ ISS & Anemometer) FAQ ?
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 11:13:08 AM »
Thanks. A 16' length of T6 should work. Is your's raw? Any problems with buildup of black gunk on it (this is along a walkway that people might brush up against)? Coremark near us has some Sched 80 in stock which is a bit thicker but I think should still work and be a bit more solid.

I wonder how well something like this (https://tele-pole.com/17-Sectional-Flagpole--2Diameter--Rope-Option_p_371.html) 2" dia sectional flagpole would work. More expensive but it's anodized so none of the black gunk problems. Some older discussion here: https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=13630.0

Offline azchrisf

• Cobra Weather Dominator Operator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 01:35:07 PM »
CWOP has a good starting guide on placement.
It is recommended over a grassy, open area for best results. Rock, gravel, etc. reflect/radiate heat and can cause false high readings.

https://weather.gladstonefamily.net/CWOP-Siting.pdf
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 6163 w/ 8 Transmitters!
Also doing Soil and Leaf 4x
WU: KAZGLEND106 CWOP: FW1398 (F1398) Purpleair: 98793/LAZGLEND8
My setup:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41867.0

Offline azchrisf

• Cobra Weather Dominator Operator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 07:03:54 PM »
I wanted to add in that I see you look like you'll be mounting it at a Marina, so the Aluminum will bias readings all time since it is a heat absorber/releaser. If you are just interested in that location, no worries, but that would definitely not be an area I would be sending data to CWOP.  ;)
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 6163 w/ 8 Transmitters!
Also doing Soil and Leaf 4x
WU: KAZGLEND106 CWOP: FW1398 (F1398) Purpleair: 98793/LAZGLEND8
My setup:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41867.0

Offline Snowda

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2021, 10:19:50 AM »
Thanks. A primary bit of this is to get wind readings (and water temp) on the lake for sailing. We've been using flags but the logging is a bit antiquated so we don't have good gust info :-)

If this works well I may see if I can find a good spot on land for the ISS and get a separate anemometer and xmitter for the lake. Unfortunately we're in a fairly wooded area.

I could possibly do a single pole where the magenta dot is.  Something on top of the studio (red building) could work though might take some work on my wife from an aesthetics standpoint as well as figuring out the best way to mount it as that roof will have Tesla solar shingles in a couple of weeks.

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2021, 02:55:21 PM »
Alright, now seeing the full picture, this is what I would suggest...

1) Place the ISS on a pole where the dot is. After all, you care about the rain received on your land, not the rain received on the water.

2) Place the anemometer on the dock with a remote sensor transmitter.

3) Place a remote temperature station on the dock with a sensor in the water. You could even do multiple depths if you wish.

Offline Snowda

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2021, 03:06:14 PM »
Wouldn't it get better rainfall, UV and solar radiation readings from the more open lake area than the more enclosed land area? How much would temps like be affected by the boat lift canopy?  It is medium blue sunbrella but this is also a 24hr fan aspirated temp station. 

OTOH, I'd guess a land location would provide better info for gardening?

Thanks,

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2021, 03:24:20 PM »
It's really up to you. Personally, I would not care how much rain the lake gets. I would care about how much rain the yard gets. However, you may feel differently and that's certainly okay. As for UV and solar radiation, the readings will definitely be higher out on the dock as the yard would be subject to more shading.

Basically, you have two environments at your property. You're going to have to decide what you want to measure in each location. The good news is that with a WeatherLink Live receiver, you can have up to eight stations. So you don't really have to pick and choose. You can place whatever sensors you want wherever you want.

Example 1:
Yard: ISS with rain, temp, humidity
Dock: ISS with wind, UV, solar radiation
Dock: Temperature station (for water temp)

Example 2:
Yard: Full station with 24 hour fan
Dock: Full station with no fan or day fan (rely more on wind for air flow)
Dock: Temperature station (for water temp)

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2021, 05:30:04 PM »
I would go with the purple dot option on a permanent basis, as opposed to the 6 monthly seasonal relocation thing 

Offline Snowda

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2021, 06:34:13 PM »
Thanks for all of the info. For now I think I'm doing the VP2+ and temp sensors on a mast/pole of some sort on the boat lift. The primary drivers for this are wind on the lake and water temps with UV and solar radiation secondary and rain & pressure a bonus along for the ride.   

One day in the future I may get a second ISS to keep on land (and my wife is thinking she wants some soil temp+moisture things for her garden).

Offline Snowda

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2022, 03:34:36 PM »
This is becoming the never ending project… :-)

Just to get things moving forward I'm planning to mount the ISS on a dock support pipe (the left red line in the OP). This is 1/25" ID galvanized pipe.  Any recommendations on extending this up for the anemometer?

I could to a reducer to a smaller galvanized pipe. Something w/ aluminum seems like a better option?

Thanks,

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2022, 04:30:27 PM »
How safe is the dock area. These things are kind of expensive. Someone late at night could help themselves.

Offline Snowda

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2022, 05:43:59 PM »
It's fairly safe.  I'd be somewhat surprised if anyone took it. There's also a surveillance camera on it.

Now off to find a bunch of pieces of wood to knock on :-)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2022, 05:47:23 PM »
There's also a surveillance camera on it.
Damn sure not stopping anyone else nowadays...

Offline Phil23

• Senior Contributor
    • Phil's Backyard
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2022, 06:18:15 PM »
What height are you looking for & how do you intend to mount the pole?

Posted this last year where I used two bits of threaded rod to allow the post to hinge up & down & also adjust it for plumb.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=42371.msg432571#msg432571

Offline Snowda

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2022, 10:58:18 AM »
Thanks for everyone's help on this. I ended up taking a simpler route; mounted an auger point on the bottom of one of the dock support posts, screwed in as deep as I could, then built pipe up from there. Not ideal but it's giving us the info we wanted for sailing.