Author Topic: MADIS Map  (Read 1037 times)

Offline Johnnykick

MADIS Map
« on: May 13, 2021, 01:04:47 PM »
I installed my Davis weather station last week and registered with CMOP a couple days ago.  I see my data in Findu.com (FW9878).  Should I also be seeing it on the MADIS surface observation map?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: MADIS Map
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 02:52:03 PM »
Eventually yes your station data shows up on MADIS map and a bunch of other places once your station has had time to be ingested by MADIS. It takes a week or so for databases to update and sync up. That is assuming you actually completed the second part of the registration process after initial data upload where you confirm your location and elevation in an email back to CWOP support.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 02:55:36 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Johnnykick

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 03:58:04 PM »
Missed that 2nd step.  Thanks for the help.

Offline Johnnykick

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 05:12:09 PM »
Data is making into MADIS...showing up in multiple locations.  Also received thumps up on data quality from weather.gladstonefamily.net

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 07:25:11 PM »
 [tup]
Tele-Pole

Offline Johnnykick

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 11:18:23 AM »
Data started showing up on the MADIS Map yesterday, however the map appears erratic.  My station appears and then disappears, and the data isn't always correct with what's being transmitted.  I also noticed other stations are experiencing the same issue. Any thoughts?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2021, 01:45:56 PM »
It seems that they are having a database problem. The map has always been finicky when zooming in and out and showing stations. It always took a bit of playing around and refreshing to get it to show the station you might be looking for in a given area. What is a new occurrence seems like a database problem where there is a station depicted where there is supposed to be one, but the new issue is that the wrong station name and data is what is shown. Meaning a station shows up where there is supposed to be one, but it is incorrectly associated with the name and data of another.  What I have noticed is that if you leave it alone it may finally complete the refresh with nothing seemingly happening but then you put the mouse pointer on the station again and then the station name is finally correct and the data is correct also. This is no guarantee, just my observation on a situation that appears to be erratic.

Another thing that could be the problem is browser compatibility. There has been considerable work with recent browser updates that try to limit the system resources used. I've often seen ads removed by the browser recently. It could also be that some of these browser updates are limiting the amount of background data being processed before completing the map and its data and then possibly causing these anomalies. Realized that data has to flow from a web server into a computer browser to then put it all together to then show the data as it was programmed. If the newest browsers are forcing website to be better designed to increase performance and battery life of devices and to save bandwidth then older websites will need to be updated so that the pre-processing is done by the server rather than offloading the work onto the individual client systems. This has always been a trend with the Internet. Websites have had to grow to support new methods like getting rid of Flash and replacing it with HTML5 for example. There are countless other examples of this. We may be entering a new transitionary period with new web technologies. The fact that MADIS and CWOP systems are fairly antiquated will mean that the going might get tough as funding and resources are likely to be limited. This is just speculation on my part but I feel it is fairly grounded based on my IT career experience over many years.

Hopefully this is something that they can resolve soon. There is definitely nothing on your end that is wrong. This is totally an issue within the MADIS system.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 01:56:54 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

anything