Miscellaneous Debris > Tech Corner

File Copying - Looking for a special program?

(1/4) > >>

sam2004gp:
I am trying to find a program or Batch script that can do the following.
Before we get started I am aware of Synctoy and Allway Sync programs, and they do not fit my needs.

What I want is something that will copy the VWS folder/files to a second hard drive.  But it must fit the following criteria.

1.  When it copies the files it will not compress them into some sort of propriety back up file.  I should able to see the "normal" windows folder and file structure.
2.  It must do this on a scheduled basis, or be activated by windows scheduler.
3.  THE HARD PART  When it copies the files it will copy them to "incrementally named" folders that it creates.  In other words. 
The first backup would place a copy of ALL files into "folder 1".
The second backup (perhaps 6 hours later) would place ALL files into "folder 2".
The third backup (perhaps another 6 hours later) would place ALL files into "folder 3".
.....and so on.

The reason I ask for this, is so if my VWS data becomes corrupt I can simply copy the folder that was "last saved" before the corruption occurred straight back to the weather computers hard drive, and then restart VWS.

Allway Sync uses a "versioning" system which only copies the files that changed, deleted, or renamed; and thus stores them in a separate folders.  This makes it hard because you have to go and take the files and drop them into proper vws folders again.  Hoping that you did not screw up the program that causes it to crash. 

My current backup program saves all of the stuff I backed up, but it does not allow you to restore it back to a certain date of "goodness" that you specify.  In it, you must select each individual file to restore if the date is later than yesterday.  When I was trying to restore from a problem with VWS the other day, I had to hand select 30 some files and copy them by hand back to the VWS directory.

Anybody got any ideas or know of such a program, free is always best?

lddaly:
If you were on Linux, I would recommend rsync. For Windows, I have used Robocopy for several projects in the past. I recall it having a ton of options. It would probably require multiple scheduled batch files to meet your requirements. I will post others if I can think of them.

sam2004gp:

--- Quote from: lddaly on March 28, 2009, 02:36:45 PM ---If you were on Linux, I would recommend rsync. For Windows, I have used Robocopy for several projects in the past. I recall it having a ton of options. It would probably require multiple scheduled batch files to meet your requirements. I will post others if I can think of them.

--- End quote ---

I looked at Second Copy and Robocopy and it does not support the Incremental Folder Naming. ](*,)

blackjack52:
Take a look at Cobian. Copies using timestamp folder structure,if you choose. I use the diff b/u. It also lets you choose number of full b/u's and diff b/u's.

sam2004gp:
okay, I will give a looksy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version