Author Topic: File Copying - Looking for a special program?  (Read 6054 times)

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
File Copying - Looking for a special program?
« on: March 28, 2009, 01:55:16 PM »
I am trying to find a program or Batch script that can do the following.
Before we get started I am aware of Synctoy and Allway Sync programs, and they do not fit my needs.

What I want is something that will copy the VWS folder/files to a second hard drive.  But it must fit the following criteria.

1.  When it copies the files it will not compress them into some sort of propriety back up file.  I should able to see the "normal" windows folder and file structure.
2.  It must do this on a scheduled basis, or be activated by windows scheduler.
3.  THE HARD PART  When it copies the files it will copy them to "incrementally named" folders that it creates.  In other words. 
The first backup would place a copy of ALL files into "folder 1".
The second backup (perhaps 6 hours later) would place ALL files into "folder 2".
The third backup (perhaps another 6 hours later) would place ALL files into "folder 3".
.....and so on.

The reason I ask for this, is so if my VWS data becomes corrupt I can simply copy the folder that was "last saved" before the corruption occurred straight back to the weather computers hard drive, and then restart VWS.

Allway Sync uses a "versioning" system which only copies the files that changed, deleted, or renamed; and thus stores them in a separate folders.  This makes it hard because you have to go and take the files and drop them into proper vws folders again.  Hoping that you did not screw up the program that causes it to crash. 

My current backup program saves all of the stuff I backed up, but it does not allow you to restore it back to a certain date of "goodness" that you specify.  In it, you must select each individual file to restore if the date is later than yesterday.  When I was trying to restore from a problem with VWS the other day, I had to hand select 30 some files and copy them by hand back to the VWS directory.

Anybody got any ideas or know of such a program, free is always best?
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline lddaly

• Forecaster
Re: File Copying - Looking for a special program?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 02:36:45 PM »
If you were on Linux, I would recommend rsync. For Windows, I have used Robocopy for several projects in the past. I recall it having a ton of options. It would probably require multiple scheduled batch files to meet your requirements. I will post others if I can think of them.

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 03:05:17 PM »
If you were on Linux, I would recommend rsync. For Windows, I have used Robocopy for several projects in the past. I recall it having a ton of options. It would probably require multiple scheduled batch files to meet your requirements. I will post others if I can think of them.

I looked at Second Copy and Robocopy and it does not support the Incremental Folder Naming. ](*,)

blackjack52

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 03:14:08 PM »
Take a look at Cobian. Copies using timestamp folder structure,if you choose. I use the diff b/u. It also lets you choose number of full b/u's and diff b/u's.

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 09:42:07 PM »
okay, I will give a looksy.

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 08:44:22 AM »
Take a look at Cobian. Copies using timestamp folder structure,if you choose. I use the diff b/u. It also lets you choose number of full b/u's and diff b/u's.

Thanks MadAlwx, =D>  that was exactly what I was looking for.  I have got it installed and it is working great. UU
It's great to pull on the knowledge of others here on the forum.

I have set up scheduled backup copy functions of the VWS and Documents Directories for every 6 hours to a second Hardrive in a seperate timestamped folder for each backup. 
Here is a screenshot of what I have so far. (They are not 6 hours apart at this point as I installed it this morning and was fiddling with it.)

My Folder of Backups....

My Config in Cobian....
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 08:47:44 AM by sam2004gp »

blackjack52

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 11:35:40 AM »
You're welcome Sam. That's why I love this place too.

I do a diff b/u every 2hrs and keep up to 60 slices. It doesn't eat up alot of discspace since it only b/ups what has changed since the last b/u.

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 03:41:54 PM »
I have a 40Gb hardrive just for backup on it.  Since I am doing 4 VWS backups a day.  It should take a month to fill that hardrive.

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 09:28:03 AM »
I just purchased a Maxtor 1TB external HD for back-ups.  I am using the Maxtor software that came with it, and it seems ok with a couple of exceptions;  it will not back-up my Quicken data automatically and that is the major drawback.

I have read through the threads here, and the information on Cobian's site.  As I am lacking in computer technology skills I have 3 questions:

1)Am I correct in my belief that the Cobian software would give me a back-up that would be easier to access in the event of a total meltdown?

2)Would I use the Cobian as an alternative to the Maxtor, or in conjunction with it?

3)I see that Cobian has 3 products for XP, Version 9 Amanita ,Version 8 Black Moon ,  and Version 7 Luz de Luna .  Is the newest version, Amanita the way to go?

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 09:52:14 AM »
Tom,
I use a maxtor nas for backup (same software).  it works with my Quicken data files.   Do you leave quicken open overnight?  That is the only time I have noticed an issue, if I forget to close the program.

Andrew

I just purchased a Maxtor 1TB external HD for back-ups.  I am using the Maxtor software that came with it, and it seems ok with a couple of exceptions;  it will not back-up my Quicken data automatically and that is the major drawback.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 10:50:48 AM »

I have read through the threads here, and the information on Cobian's site.  As I am lacking in computer technology skills I have 3 questions:

1)Am I correct in my belief that the Cobian software would give me a back-up that would be easier to access in the event of a total meltdown?
Yes, it makes a a regular windows folder or zip for your backup if you choose.

2)Would I use the Cobian as an alternative to the Maxtor, or in conjunction with it?
I say as an alternative; I used Retrospect with my external hardrive, and it backed things up, but into it's own "special file format".  Which requires you to re-install their program, if the program crashes or gets corrupt.  It also requires the program to run or you can't restore your data. 

3)I see that Cobian has 3 products for XP, Version 9 Amanita ,Version 8 Black Moon ,  and Version 7 Luz de Luna .  Is the newest version, Amanita the way to go?
I am using the Version 9 Amanita, and that's where my screenshots came from.  It is the lastest version.  The site says he is not releasing the code for this version, but I am not interesting in programming it, just using it.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 10:52:41 AM by sam2004gp »

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 12:50:28 PM »
Tom,
I use a maxtor nas for backup (same software).  it works with my Quicken data files.   Do you leave quicken open overnight?  That is the only time I have noticed an issue, if I forget to close the program.

Andrew

I leave it open 24/7.  I'll try closing it today.

Thank you for the tip.
Tom

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline AZmonsooncats

• Current weather conditions in North Phoenix, Ariz
  • Senior Contributor
  • Me & My Little Sis!!
    • Pepper Ridge North Valley  Weather and Lightning
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 02:49:17 PM »

I was just curious how much this program costs, it sure might make backing files easier , manual backups take to much  #-o time  and I know I should back up my files more frequently :roll:

Jeanette
"Some dreams are in the night time, And some seem like yesterday
But leaves turn brown and fade, Ships sail away
You long to say a thousand words…but Seasons Change."

CWOP:CW3794, MesoWest: C3794, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PepperRidgeNorthValleyWX/

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 03:20:42 PM »

I was just curious how much this program costs, it sure might make backing files easier , manual backups take to much  #-o time  and I know I should back up my files more frequently :roll:

Jeanette
FREE  a very good price

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 06:39:45 PM »

Jeanette
FREE  a very good price

Yep one of the Best Programs, that I did not pay for, ....in a long time.  Actually my last legit software purchase was VWS back in Dec 2007.

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 12:24:05 AM »
I say as an alternative; I used Retrospect with my external hardrive, and it backed things up, but into it's own "special file format".  Which requires you to re-install their program, if the program crashes or gets corrupt.  It also requires the program to run or you can't restore your data.
The only draw back I (think) I see is that the the programs must be shut down when Cobian backs-up.  The Maxtor backs up my VWS data  every night and I never shut VWS down.

Do you see any difficulties with letting Maxtor do its daily thing, and once a week I would shut down VWS and manually run Cobian?

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 08:01:51 AM »
I have not had to shutdown my VWS, and it backs up all files, including the database while VWS is running.  I even backed it up, replaced my VWS with the "backup" and it worked fine.  Now I did notice that it will not backup my outlook.pst file while the outlook is open, but that's no biggie as I don't keep outlook open 24/7.