Author Topic: Grounding WX Station Masts  (Read 1014 times)

Offline WXbarry

Grounding WX Station Masts
« on: March 22, 2021, 09:11:51 PM »
I will ultimately want to move my Ambient WS-2902C to a second-story gable; perhaps 5 ft. above the roof peak. While this a wireless station (no connections to indoor electronics), and I live in probably one of the least-likely locations to attract a lightning strike (coastal San Diego, CA), what would the Forum recommend for grounding the metal mast?

Many Thanks for comments.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
Re: Grounding WX Station Masts
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 07:25:02 AM »
If it isn't grounded per NEC code and there is a loss at your house, the insurance company can point to it as a reason to deny a claim....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline WXbarry

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 12:03:02 PM »
That is issue No. 1, for sure, thanks, vreihen. That is why I’m in no hurry to make the move. If the proper implementation is just too onerous or messy, I just won’t do it.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 12:50:04 PM »
Someone will invariably come along and suggest a PVC pipe or wooden closet rod as a "non-conductive" mast material alternative.  A quick trip to Google will show a gazillion pictures of trees and wooden utility poles obliterated by lightning strikes.

My family used to own a house on top of a mountain.  From personal experience, I can tell you that NOTHING is "non-conductive" when hit by the voltage/amperage of a lightning strike.  This is why lightning protection strategies for centuries have been to provide an easier path to ground.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline WXbarry

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 01:20:26 PM »

I'm with you on that one, man! [tup]

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 07:45:01 AM »
Assume you want to protect your devices, not the sturcture itself.  If you are 'structure' only... ground the thing maybe. BUT heres the real story. Big Old EMF field surrounds grounded mast & cable as impulse finds easy ground path.  I know my cams and devices are NOT military hardened against such massive surges.  Induced EMF takes out devices.  EMF follows any cables into base units.  But your beautiful mast may have only become discolored. During my career I repaired hundreds and hundreds of EMF damaged devices on mast, in structure, from 'grounded' installations.  Why give the intense magnetic field an easier path to envelope your devices and cabling?Grounding mast DOES help with gradual charge build up, but not megagauss sudden impulses. Any Cabeling lies parallel to the current path down the mast and any 'ground' straps. Wireless devices are still subject to the impulse EMF field, and your low resistance ground is a welcome sign..."COME HERE!"
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 07:54:23 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline WXbarry

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 01:16:04 PM »
Well, just based on the economics, I would have to say I’d be going “structure first” as far as protective measures. But I’m quite sure you are correct: there is little doubt that in a direct hit my little WS-2902 would be...er...TOAST! And if this were a radio antenna [shudder] with cabling going into the house, there’d have to be a whole other of layer of protections considered.

anything