Author Topic: Two ISS's confirm temp drop.  (Read 1062 times)

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
Two ISS's confirm temp drop.
« on: January 23, 2021, 06:27:18 AM »
I'm glad I have two stations set up. Only one is published. It is the better siting. Both will get improved in summer.

Buuuuut. Both are good enough to show evening of 21st the temperature dropped 6.25 degrees Celsius in about 1/2 hour.

So I know it really happened. Several years ago I had a peak wind reading that made local news. Too bad I did not have second ISS to confirm if even close to valid. There were other peaks in the area came fairly close to mine.

With the second station closely sited I can check against publishing bad data. Only one should be published on my 1/2 acre property to avoid public data confusion.

Thoughts?

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
Re: Two ISS's confirm temp drop.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 07:06:44 AM »
Very interesting post.
I've spent a good bit on my 6163 VP2+, WLL 6100, and Meteobridge Pro.
Of course I can't help but think about how accurate it actually is.

I see that your published site hardware is a Vantage Pro2 Plus.
Is your second site hardware identical?
If not, what is the difference?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 07:10:18 AM by TraderGary »
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless) | Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 | Meteobridge Pro
WeatherLink | WundergroundCWOPAWEKASWindy

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 07:44:04 AM »
I guess you looked at the type on WU. They do not have all the proper choices in the drop-down. It is not a plus.

VP2 Wired is the publishing station. (2 years old)

VP2 Wireless with 24HR Fan (Old rain cone) is the secondary.

In summer when I rent a boom lift everything will get swapped about so new cone is on wireless ISS and moved to grassy spot. Slightly improved horizontal with 10 foot elevation addition for anemometer will be the goal. Running 200ft of wire, including burial, will be a pain to get anny connected to ISS. I need a wireless option. Would need to add solar or run some Cat5 to put power to the transmitter.

The BL Sunrecorder will get mounted also when I have the lift.

If I have the secondary ISS mounted close to the primary it will serve as an interesting comparison to unique events.

The anny for that one will stay purposely in a different location and due to trees is simply a different wind environment where it is located. It tells me more about what the wind is on the driveway side. The primary is the only wind location that makes the best of all compromises at my site.

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 08:08:26 AM »
Thanks for the thorough explanation.
I recall that Davis has a kit for changing a wired VP2 to a wireless.
Have you explored that possibility?
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless) | Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 | Meteobridge Pro
WeatherLink | WundergroundCWOPAWEKASWindy

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 08:40:34 AM »
I'm glad I have two stations set up. Only one is published. It is the better siting. Both will get improved in summer.

Buuuuut. Both are good enough to show evening of 21st the temperature dropped 6.25 degrees Celsius in about 1/2 hour.

So I know it really happened. Several years ago I had a peak wind reading that made local news. Too bad I did not have second ISS to confirm if even close to valid. There were other peaks in the area came fairly close to mine.

With the second station closely sited I can check against publishing bad data. Only one should be published on my 1/2 acre property to avoid public data confusion.

Thoughts?

I have a DFARS-equipped T/H station that I can compare with the ISS temp.

I'll add the graph showing the difference temperature between these two.

This is calculated and plotted by my meteohub.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 09:59:48 AM »
Thanks for the thorough explanation.
I recall that Davis has a kit for changing a wired VP2 to a wireless.
Have you explored that possibility?

I have purchased two VP1 units for parts. Out of the parts I should be able to get the secondary ISS wireless for local monitoring and comparison.

The trouble is getting the main anemometer connected to ISS. Photo shows what I am planning. ISS B is poor looking location but tracks quite close to the other.

Main ISS to wind attachment is a challenge. Right now it is below the anemometer.  ISS will get the VP2 transmitter, 24 hr fan, and go on a pole in middle of back yard.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 11:13:10 AM »
....Main ISS to wind attachment is a challenge. Right now it is below the anemometer.  ISS will get the VP2 transmitter, 24 hr fan, and go on a pole in middle of back yard......

I tinkered with a few ideas and conclude any wireless idea to get direction and speed pulse to ISS from remote anemometer is too much trouble. Will just have to make the work and run some wire that can be buried.......down the mount, along the house, under-ground, up the pole to ISS.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2021, 02:44:57 PM »
I tinkered with a few ideas.....

How can I have been playing with weather stations this long and never noticed this:

https://www.davisinstruments.com/product/solar-powered-wireless-sensor-transmitter/

May even add solar and UV one day. Tx can go down at top of roof so easy to replace battery but still in view of full sun.

Now I just need spring and a boom lift.