Author Topic: WiFi Logger v2 - Weatherlink and Weather Display  (Read 2774 times)

Offline jrodriguez6

WiFi Logger v2 - Weatherlink and Weather Display
« on: December 26, 2020, 11:57:33 AM »
Can data from Davis Vantage Pro2 Wifi go to Weatherlink and Weather Display at the same time. I had to shut down WL to upload WD.

Looks like it should work, is there a special setting to get this to work. I created 24 hour Windows 10 pro PC for Security NVR (Blue Iris) WD running constant.

Have too shut down WD to update WL. Hope this will prevent this???

Any advise???

Thanks

Joe

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: WiFi Logger v2 - Weatherlink and Weather Display
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 12:19:50 PM »
No, sorry. Still one program at a time. There is no logger type that I know of that supports feeding multiple local programs with data (ie acting as a multi-user data server). It's theoretically possible, ie a sort of hardware VVP and logger combined but no-one has created it yet AFAIK.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 12:31:15 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 12:43:03 PM »
johnd,
Is it just you that posts with this account? or are there other people in your company that use the same account? Because I know you know that the WeatherLink Live is a such a logger that allows multiple local applications and devices to simultaneously get data. This is one of my favorite post on this forum and you posted it and it clearly shows "Multiple WLL-compatible programs/computers."
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=39751.0

jrodriguez6,
If you don't have the WLL there is another solution to send data to both WD and Weatherlink.com. You can connect WD to your ISS via your current WiFilogger (or other logger) and then WD can upload to weatherlink.com.

Now point of confusion....when you say you shut down the weatherlink....are you referring to WeatherLink for Windows PC software? or are you referring to Weatherlink.com? Two different things. Knowing this will change my answer.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 12:47:18 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 01:18:47 PM »
johnd,
Is it just you that posts with this account? or are there other people in your company that use the same account? Because I know you know that the WeatherLink Live is a such a logger that allows multiple local applications and devices to simultaneously get data.

Yes, it's just me. But WLL doesn't address the OP's question, at least as I interpret it. When people talk about WL in the same breath as WD they usually tend to mean WL for Windows. That's why I bolded the local part of the reply, so as to exclude wl.com. I'm not aware of any solution (other than a VVP-based one, with its attendant problems) that will feed WLfW AND other programs too. And so by extension there's no data server that will support both legacy and modern programs without some qualification like it is limited to CMX and WD (and maybe weewx too). WLL is a great product and promoted whenever appropriate but it doesn't play well with some legacy software. A lot of users are still happy with WLfW and want to keep using that.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 01:34:50 PM »
Okay good. I agree. Which is why I said that a point of confusion requiring clarity from the OP was needed. I took WL to mean WL.com and not WLfW. Ahh Davis!..why did they have to call everything Weatherlink?

« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 01:36:39 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline jrodriguez6

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2020, 02:19:33 PM »
Thanks for all the Reply. When I say I have login into Weatherlink 6.0.05 software, not dot com.
Weather Display is feeing everybody else. WU, Weather Cloud, CWOP, and others.
I just thought this Logger would provide data to the Weatherlink Software and WD at the same time because if was WIF.

Thanks

Joe

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2020, 09:08:28 PM »
You said VVPRO with it's problems. I have WiFiLogger v1 feeding VVPro which feeds WD, WL5.9, AddinWx, and Cumulus. However VWS tends to time out so I can't run it too. So not sure about the problems you mean.

Offline jrodriguez6

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2020, 09:25:38 PM »
Garth

I have not purchased the WIFI logger V2 yet. I wanted to make sure: I can run Weatherlink Windows 10 pro software and Weather Display at the same time. With the Wifilogger V2?

I can't do that with the Weatherlink IP I currently have attached to my Vantage Pro2 Wi-Fi console.

Thanks

Joe

Offline fsufan1200

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2020, 07:10:34 AM »
I currently have Wifi Logger v2, using a Davis Vantage Pro 2, Weather Display, and I'm uploaded to Weather Underground, PWS Weather, and Weatherlink perfectly :)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 07:14:23 AM by fsufan1200 »
Davis Vantage Pro-2 Plus Wireless
WiFiLogger2 2.34
Weather Flow / Tempest

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2020, 07:31:07 AM »
I currently have Wifi Logger v2, using a Davis Vantage Pro 2, Weather Display, and I'm uploaded to Weather Underground, PWS Weather, and Weatherlink perfectly :)

But the question was about feeding multiple local weather programs (ie running on local computers), not about whether you can do multiple uploads to cloud weather platforms across the Internet (which of course is one of the things that WFL was designed to do well).
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline fsufan1200

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2020, 07:34:24 AM »
Thanks for the clarification Johnd.....

YES, my station using the Wifi Logger is uploading to the web-based cloud platforms  8-)
Davis Vantage Pro-2 Plus Wireless
WiFiLogger2 2.34
Weather Flow / Tempest

Offline jrodriguez6

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2020, 08:02:07 AM »
Thanks for all the Replies. So To the Question will the Wifi Logger V2 with a Vantage Pro2 Wifi provide Data to Local Computer on router running Windows 10 Pro running 24 hours a Day Support Weatherlink 6.0.05 software and Weather Display at the same time??? Not over the WWW. Weather display is doing that.
The issue is not having to Davis for get my own Data off there server on the cloud. I would like to have 2 sources of backup weather data. Weatherlink and Weather Display.

Thanks for all the Replies.

Joe

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2020, 08:58:28 AM »
I believe that WiFiLogger 2 does not have any extra features over WiFiLogger 1. The reason for WiFiLogger 2 is because of a newer chip because the old one was no longer available. They are the same thing as far as software and capabilities. Probably a bit faster and maybe more energy efficient. That is what I remember reading anyway.

If you want to run Weather-Display and Weatherlink for Windows at the same time and you already have WiFiLogger 1 then what I recommend is to get a WeatherLink Live. Then you can keep running WiFiLogger 1 as it is currently attached to your console and it will feed Weatherlink for Windows. Then the Weathlink Live logger feeds Weather-Display software. The WeatherLink Live is autonomous and doesn't require the console.
Tele-Pole

Offline jrodriguez6

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2020, 09:55:09 AM »
Thanks for the reply. WOW Bunch of Money to Buy both WiFi Logger V2 and Weatherlink Live.

Thanks again.

Joe

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2020, 10:21:27 AM »
Why would you need to buy WiFiLogger 2? Don't you already have WiFiLogger 1? I've read a few threads from you and I may have confused you with someone else. I thought you had the WiFiLogger 1 already.

Tele-Pole

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2020, 11:59:31 AM »
Hi Joe,

WiFiLogger1 and WiFiLogger2 are the same as to running two programs at the same time (i.e. WL and WD) - won't work reliably!
Using either WiFiLogger 1 or 2 is fine for uploading to all the other services within WiFiLogger, and at the same time running a weather program, i.e. Cumulus does work using the program's Disconnect setting, but some data flow to the weather program will stop during the disconnect period but no resulting loss of data in the log.  If the weather program is stopped and then restarted later the archive data will be downloaded from WiFiLogger like any other data logger.

Weatherlink Live without any other console or data logger will feed multi programs, i.e. 2 versions of CumulusMX or Cumulus and WeatherlinkPC, but does not have archive catch up at program restart unless you have the Weatherlink.com Pro subscription.

On another PC I have WeatherlinkPC and Cumulus but run one program only at the same time, and periodically (twice a month) I stop Cumulus to run WeatherlinkPC to update and save the WL data and then restart Cumulus.

I have run VirtualVP in the past so to run WeatherlinkPC and Cumulus at the same time, but that was not very reliable.  I know several users here are using VVP to run more than one program but don't know if it is with WiFiLogger.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2020, 12:34:26 PM »
Thanks PaulMy. Good to hear your input from your personal experience of having both WiFiLogger 1 and 2.
Minor correction though...WeatherLink Live is not compatible with Weatherlink for Windows software (and I believe also not Cumulus 1). The WeatherLink Live is compatible with most new software and will feed them simultaneously. Which is why I recommended to keep the WiFiLogger 1 as the feeder to Weatherlink for Windows and then use the WeatherLink Live for Weather-Display sofware.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 12:36:39 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline jrodriguez6

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2020, 05:14:52 PM »
Thanks to Everybody for there input. To make it clear I stated at the beginning I was thinking of Purchasing the WiFi Logger v2, I never said I had Logger V1.
I currently run Vantage Pro2 wifi with Weatherlink IP.

I guess I have to keep Logging off Weather Display every morning and Start my Windows 10 Weatherlink software and download the data for the last 24 hours.
The Shut down Weatherlink software, and restart Weather Display software to provide all my WWW Publications: CWOP, PWSweather, Weather Underground, Weather Cloud.

Thanks Again, Hope everybody has a Great New Year!!!

Joe

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2020, 05:23:02 PM »
Okay then...you have WeatherlinkIP. You can continue to use that to feed Weatherlink for Windows and then get the WeatherLink Live for Weather-Display. No need to get any WiFiLogger as that requires somewhere (console) to plug it in for it to work. But you could replace the WeatherlinkIP with a WiFiLogger if you wanted some of its features...it won't help you run both Weatherlink for Windows and Weather-Display simultaneously though.

Tele-Pole

Offline jrodriguez6

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2020, 06:23:16 PM »
Thanks Again

For the clarification. Just have to figure out how to make Weather Display get it's data from Weatherlink Live?

Thanks

Joe

Offline thomas

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2020, 07:51:44 PM »
There is a section in Weather Display to put your codes in and have it connect to WeatherLink Live.  I am not sure how quick the updates are.

anything