Author Topic: Outdoor Camera Quality  (Read 4195 times)

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Outdoor Camera Quality
« on: July 04, 2022, 11:52:57 AM »
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  The one pic is from my Reolink RLC 811A. It's a 4K  8MP camera. Notice how the  greens are more brown then green in color.
The other pic is from my cell phone camera. Notice how the greens are much more green. The cell phone pic was taken with the HDR off.
The images were cropped way down to fit on this forum.
My question is there an outdoor camera that can take video and pics with more vibrant colors like the cell phone pic above.
The display options on the Reolink only cover brightness and shadows. No saturation option to enhance the colors. I will say with the brightness adjustment you can adjust it to show more green but then the blue sky turns white. So that's not an option.
An internet search didn't come up with much. Unless I'm searching for the wrong thing.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 12:05:43 PM by ocala »
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Re: Outdoor Camera Quality
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2022, 01:16:03 PM »
I haven't got an answer to your question, but want to comment that most any phone or camera now has a set profile, done by the manufacturer, to produce an image that their engineers and marketing agents think is 'the best' or what the customer wants.

Note the intense red fringing in the white clouds that your sample images show.  That really isn't there, but often is a side effect of too much contrast setting.  I don't know of any way to get into the Reolink camera settings to fiddle with that, do you?

I have both an iPhone (from work, which was about the third one I've had) and the latest Samsung S22 when my old s8 gave up.

EXACTLY the same lighting and scene and such and the image they produce is vastly different.

I have a very well to do friend with just about the latest Canon camera and exquisite lenses and his images are far different from my Nikon D800, which isn't too shabby either.  There are some native settings, but even when I grab a .NEF or raw image, it is all in the eye of the beholder when I'm done fiddling with the Lightroom process (I'm too dumb to learn Photoshop, but I tried a couple times).

A comment on the Reolink.  I got one, then two more (I think with some pointers from you back about Christmas time) and initially thought the resolution was terrible, but then following sage advice here, adopted using the native display program from Reolink and got the fine detail and color using their display  and grab program.   About the time we got lots of pollen, the images on the cameras went to hell, making me think that for some reason I had inadvertently had  setting change going back to the less fine resolution. I cleaned the lens face a few times and reset all sorts of parameters (even though they showed OK in the choices) all to no avail.   

I would be interested in a camera system that also has a configurable color, sharpening, saturation setting so I'm interested in where this discussion will lead you to find other comments.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2022, 01:34:39 PM »
I have a different camera than yours a RLC-810a, and on the windows client there are settings for saturation under the advance option. I would think your RLC-811a camera would have it too.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2022, 01:56:45 PM »
Indeed there is, there are two brightness settings to be made, one under day color and then the settings, too.

I have auto focus set but may need to go back and try to figure out why I'm getting more of the fluent quality rather than the high resolution again.  Still got that problem.

I'll be interested if Ocala has a chance to play with those settings you mention to see if that helps his color problem.
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2022, 02:19:39 PM »

I have auto focus set but may need to go back and try to figure out why I'm getting more of the fluent quality rather than the high resolution again.  Still got that problem.

I think it all depends on how you're viewing and downloading your image. The three methods of android/IOS app, windows/mac client and which browser you use each act a little bit different. On the app theirs a hardware/software option to decode images that may be a problem depending which is being used. The browser may not be able to handle the higher resolution unless it has H265 capabilities.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2022, 05:42:23 PM »
I have a different camera than yours a RLC-810a, and on the windows client there are settings for saturation under the advance option. I would think your RLC-811a camera would have it too.
You're right. Those settings are there under advanced.
I have been adjusting them for a while now. Definitely more color but what you gain on one setting you lose on another so I have to keep playing with them to get the right balance.
The screen resolution does have a lot to do with it. My computer monitor isn't nearly as good as my Android phone so I have to keep the phone in front of me while adjusting. Problem I am running into is these adjustments aren't automatic on my phone. What shows up instantly on the PC monitor takes sometimes a minute on my phone. Not sure why that is but it slows down the fine tuning.
Turns out my Argus Pro 3's also have this advanced setting so I'll be adjusting them too.
Thank you worachj for the tip.  \:D/
As soon as I get things right I'll post another comparison.   

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2022, 09:41:33 PM »
I got a pretty nifty little one for about $40 from Amazon.  Pan & Tilt, no optical zoom.  It's dusk here now so I can't get a vivid screenshot of the outside, colors are muted now with little Sun.

It's also ONVIF compatible, so it appears in my NVR system and I can view it on my PC or mobile.

This is the Settings screen showing the Saturation and other sliders.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

This is the normal screen with controls, but you can also go full screen.

Camera also has a floodlight option that lights up a pretty wide area.  I have two of them using POE adapters.  This one is mounted on a pole 20' up and 50' from the house.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 09:47:12 PM by WeatherHost »

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2022, 11:30:06 AM »
After adjusting all the parameters I still can't get it to look like what is natural. It's still a good picture but not what I want.
So the question remains. Is there an outdoor camera available that can give you a live image that looks natural.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2022, 12:02:42 PM »

Here is my out of focus colors for you to see.  I don't have a range of browns and can't see the sky from this angle.

I await someone to tell you what other camera to try.  You'd think this would be something where there would be lots of choices.

WeatherHost:  What brand of camera are you using from Amazon?

Dale [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline weatherdoc

• Senior Contributor
    • Willowsford Farm Weather
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2022, 05:47:15 PM »
I have an RLC-510A that seems to work well. Last week I "upgraded" to an RLC-810A since it's a 4K camera and I assumed it would be better than the 4MP 510A. I was wrong. I thought the CCD in my 510A was fried by a bright lightning strike last week - check out the 46 sec video at the bottom of my webpage: https://novawx.dscloud.me/wxmedia-tstm.php. The lightning was so bright, I thought it permanently damaged the CCDs, so I ordered an 810A for $67 on Prime Days. But over a couple of days, the 510A returned to normal (https://novawx.dscloud.me/wxcam.php). Since I now had a "better" camera, I replaced the 510A with the 810A and was severely disappointed. The 810A was dull and washed-out compared to the 510A. And, the 510A does pretty well at night in the IR while the 810A was almost 100% black all night. Today I reinstalled the 510A and the 810A is going back to Amazon.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2022, 07:27:51 PM »
I don't really understand the attraction to fixed position cameras when Pan-Tilt versions are available for the same prices.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2022, 09:27:41 PM »
I think it would be general convention to have a fixed image for weather observation. Shows a comparative time progression from a fixed point. Can be matched up to Data Graphs.

P n T is something to break down in my view.

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2022, 09:47:40 PM »
I don't really understand the attraction to fixed position cameras when Pan-Tilt versions are available for the same prices.

I think it's is how they are purposed. This forum is generally a 'weather' forum, and I call my 'fixed' cams 'weathercams'... always same field of view. What folks expect to see. Especially WFO's.  PTZ is overkill for me, not necessary for my WEATHER purpose, but, I'll admit, they are a tempting distraction. (We will NOT address what and how my SECURITY hardware includes) Also I don't relate with the 'same price' statement related to quality, resolution and reliability, stability of mount etc. And when the little servo or gear fails... well... you now a un-fixed 'fixed' camera that probably wobbles in the wind. For security or snooping or curiosity I might use a PTZ, as a webcam, but I orient toward weathercams... consistent POV, . Simple.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 09:51:23 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2022, 03:51:55 AM »
This is a $40 PT camera.  No Z other than a digital attempt, more like magnification.

There are two LEDs in lantern type fixtures on the garage that are about 3 Watts each.  The sky in the background is lit by the Full moon.  Time stamp is accurate.

At $40, if it gets smoked, it's really no big deal.  I'm almost considering buying another one or two for spares.  No wind wobble on this one.  There is some wind wobble on the other one on the other side of the yard due to the pole it's mounted on that needs to be reinforced better.

One reason I prefer PTs is that I can move the view to observe incoming storms.  These can pick up lightning flashes quite a longs ways off. 

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2022, 04:10:16 AM »
WeatherHost:  What brand of camera are you using from Amazon?

Well, you know how their 'brands' are, but this is it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08J158TVV/

Yeah, it's kind of Mickey Mouse, but it works better than I expected.  They want you to set them up with a phone, but if you can find the IP address on your network, you can go from there.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2022, 04:21:12 PM »
WeatherHost:

I got one of those cameras, and it is sorta nice, better than I expected and within the budget for a toy if not something better.

Is there a way to access the camera directly, via the IP address on my router, to look at it (not necessarily move and zoom) or is the only option via the web site?

I wonder about using some of the more commonly available web camera software to make time lapse movies of the day's weather and clouds?

I don't want to open my phone all the time and when I'm at my desktop, would like to look at the images, the same way as I do my ReoLink cameras.

Any help or advice?  Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2022, 04:15:47 PM »
I can use them in Internet Explorer by just entering the IP address.  I know people hate IE, but I only use it for things like this.  I tried it in a couple of other browsers and it seems like it wanted to work, but needed an add on of some kind.  Maybe somebody here can figure out a different way.

They also work in my NVR that uses the ONVIF protocol.

Just tried in Vivaldi and they work, but there's a weird lag/delay in moving when pressing the arrow keys.  Moves immediately on the NVR screen, but takes a couple of seconds to move on the PC screen.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 04:20:53 PM by WeatherHost »

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2022, 08:35:55 AM »
I got the relatively cheap camera, and ran it through setup.  It is looking at the 'test' area in my back yard.  I can get to it via the app on my phone,  but cannot for the life of me find a valid IP address. 

I went to my router's admin page (netgear) and see all 31 of the IP addresses it has assigned to the hard wired and the wireless connections, with one exception.  The ONLY address it says is <unknown> must be the one for the camera, which disappears when I terminate the app on the phone.    I poked around in the app on the camera in a settings area, and found a bunch of stuff, including what the app thinks is the IP address, which confuses me.  I don't recall setting up a path through the router to allow incoming access to any of my devices, but it somehow must have done it.

Here's the confusing part.   All my router assigned addresses are the expected "192.168.1.xxx"  However, the IP given by the app's page says that the address sit has is 192.168.10.[/b].144  !

I have never seen a third field address that isn't a 0 or 1.  When I enter that into my browser it tells me that it cannot reach that address.  Very frustrating.

Some time ago, when dealing with setting up a Blitzortung RED lightning sensor, there was mentioned a little app that will scan the entire router attachments looking for and reporting the IP addresses.  For the life of me I cannot recall that app's name (which is OK sometimes I cannot recall my kid's names either without thinking) and it was quite a few years ago when I set that up.  I wonder if anyone knows of programs which will show a list of attached IPs?

Also, maybe the browser (Brave) just can't find it.  I had an early version of SeaMonkey which hadn't been updated to block out the old ways of getting images from cameras, and if I can find that on another old computer, may try that to see if there is a way to watch the images, but I assume WeatherHost is using updated, secure browsers, not some older form. 

Just rambling, but hoping someone can see the obvious that I'm missing.  Thanks   Dale

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2022, 09:03:24 AM »
Hi Dale,
Some time ago, when dealing with setting up a Blitzortung RED lightning sensor, there was mentioned a little app that will scan the entire router attachments looking for and reporting the IP addresses.  For the life of me I cannot recall that app's name (which is OK sometimes I cannot recall my kid's names either without thinking) and it was quite a few years ago when I set that up.  I wonder if anyone knows of programs which will show a list of attached IPs?

It just so happens that I was revisiting an old post for my Blitzortung and Greg H posted this at the time for Angry IP Scanner https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36966.msg385008#msg385008  Possibly that is what you recall.

In my case I've tried it again and it couldn't find the Blitzortung in my new modem :(

Enjoy,
Paul

« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 09:05:05 AM by PaulMy »

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2022, 10:16:20 AM »
Did you install that CamHIPro thing?  If so, when viewing the camera, there should be a Gear icon for Settings.  Click that and then 'Device Information.'  That should display things including the IP address.

192.168.10.xxx is fine and the default IP may be there.

Once I had that and could view it in a browser, I changed it to be within my normal range of 192.168.254.xxx

I can't remember any other steps to be able to view it.  I may have had to change something to be able to view the .10. range, can't say for sure now.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2022, 10:50:58 AM »
The blue pamphlet tells you how to use the camera as a wifi connection.  You may have to do that to connect to the camera SSID initially with a laptop (you'll be disconnected from the web) so that you're within the .10. network range.  The view it in IE to be able to log in and change the IP address to your main range.  Then reconnect to your normal network SSID and you should be able to get into the camera again.

It's been several months and I just don't remember exactly.

IP scanners work fine, but they need to be able to see the full range to detect everything.

If your main network is 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254, you may not be able to see or connect to  192.168.10.xxx

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2023, 04:22:41 AM »
This is the little $40 BoaVision PT camera I've mentioned before.  Moon is full, 99% illumination, clear skies, 32 degrees (hey, it's a weather site, right?)

IR Range on the camera ends at about the small tree at the bottom of the hill.  The 30+ acre field beyond there and everything else further out is all moonlight picked up by this camera.

RV is parked in a neighbor's driveway about a thousand feet away.  Tree line is around 1/2 mile, tower is about 5 miles.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2023, 07:18:14 AM »
WeatherHost:
Is that camera  you show a POE  and IP camera?
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2023, 07:46:08 AM »
Yes.

Sort Of. 

I use POE extractors at the distant end.  There are a number of different types like this:

I use a 4 port POE switch that's been working well.  It supplies this and two other cameras as well as a gate controller that is about 150 feet distant

https://www.ebay.com/itm/191789795402

The Pan/Tilt and a few other functions work from the NVR system, but most of the settings need to be done by logging in directly via mobile or a web browser.

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2023, 09:27:11 AM »
If you need to replace, or obtain a POE switch, might I suggest:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B099PLGPZM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Replacing my old switch with this one a year ago solved a lot of issues... it was $19 at the time.
I use it in the 'port isolate' mode