Author Topic: Desktop (linux/windows) weather display program pulling from WU StationID/API?  (Read 3690 times)

Offline JoshnWeather

Hey All,
I'm obviously new here and within the PWS scene. I've always wanted one to play around with.
I finally picked up one of the PanTech WH2950. It seems to be a fine offset rebrand or ambient weather rebrand of the similar model number.
I have it set up with the wifi display and can upload to WU just fine.
I use a combination of the WU app and Meteo Personal Weather Station apps on android to pull data back from WU from the station. These both seem to use the station ID as the source.
I was wondering if there is a linux or windows program that will do similar or even use the new WU API key to pull data that i can have a nice desktop sort of experience?
A kicker as well is if it would log so i can keep a history on my server.
I see there are a few programs that either tie in with the device via a physical connection or wirelessly. I have tried to get something to work wirelessly however i have a feeling as due to it being a clone of one of the others it just doesnt seem to want to interface, hence my query for something that can just pull data back from WU.
Sorry if i dont make a whole lot of sense I'm trying to learn as i go.
Thanks  [tup] [tup]

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
If you use the WS-View app and you are using the latest firmware on your PWS then you should be able to set a custom location to send your data at the same time as WU

Additionally if you invest in a GW-1000 from Ecowitt then you will be able to see live data on your WS-View app from the sensors.
In time the API for the GW-1000 will be released and this will allow PWS software like WeeWx or Cumulus MX to directly poll the GW-1000 and display/log the weather data for all the sensors the GW-1000 can see.
At the moment if you procure a Meteobridge this will be able to interrogate the GW-1000 and log/publish the data. (Meteobridge has had early access to the API)
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Make sure you get a GW1000 with matching frequency of your PanTech. Probably 433 MHz, but check to be sure.

Mandrake,
Does the "Customized" server configuration work on non-Ecowitt consoles? Because it doesn't exist on Ambient consoles when using the WS View app. I have both a WS-2000 and a WS-2902A and all I see is; ambientweather.net, WU, WeatherCloud as options.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Online wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
Hey All,
I'm obviously new here and within the PWS scene. I've always wanted one to play around with.
I finally picked up one of the PanTech WH2950. It seems to be a fine offset rebrand or ambient weather rebrand of the similar model number.
I have it set up with the wifi display and can upload to WU just fine.
I use a combination of the WU app and Meteo Personal Weather Station apps on android to pull data back from WU from the station. These both seem to use the station ID as the source.
I was wondering if there is a linux or windows program that will do similar or even use the new WU API key to pull data that i can have a nice desktop sort of experience?
A kicker as well is if it would log so i can keep a history on my server.
I see there are a few programs that either tie in with the device via a physical connection or wirelessly. I have tried to get something to work wirelessly however i have a feeling as due to it being a clone of one of the others it just doesnt seem to want to interface, hence my query for something that can just pull data back from WU.
Sorry if i dont make a whole lot of sense I'm trying to learn as i go.
Thanks  [tup] [tup]
Maybe this personal website template is interesting for you. 
Demo  https://pwsdashboard.com/pwsWD/?theme=dark&round&noborders
Another demo using WU :  https://pwsdashboard.net/pws10/index.php
It is customisable for colours, number of information blocks a.s.o.
It pulls your data from WU using the API and displays that data and a WU forecast and a lot of other interesting information.
The history for the graphs is also stored at WU and used by this template.

If you move to a  Meteobridge or WD or another weather-program  in the near future, you only have to change one setting as it supports now already 10 weather-programs.

You need to hire a website from a hosting-provider, the documentation explains how to install it.

I think it gives a good experience on a PC or tablet or a smart-phone.
More information at: https://pwsdashboard.com/
Wim

updated 2020-01-02 15:00 UTC  updated old links to latest ones
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 10:12:33 AM by wvdkuil »

Offline vk2gib

• Pantech - GW1000- Weather Display
    • QRZ.com
Hi folks..newbie to site , not to PWS.

I currently use ws tool for mobile monitoring , and the PWS is linked via wifi and a key to WUnderground..

I need to get a clientraw.txt file option somehow out of my Pantech (ws2000??) system..

I read here about an Ecowitt gw1000.. where can i get this?
do i need this?

I need to run software on my pc , that looks at real time sensor data (live preferably)..

Any ideas of best options?

Thanks in advance.
I can be emailed direct for fast response on
vk2gib@gmail.com

Happy New Year
Pantech
GW1000
Weather Display

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
weather display has a linux version that works with the GW1000 bridge

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
Hi folks..newbie to site , not to PWS.

I currently use ws tool for mobile monitoring , and the PWS is linked via wifi and a key to WUnderground..

I need to get a clientraw.txt file option somehow out of my Pantech (ws2000??) system..

I read here about an Ecowitt gw1000.. where can i get this?
do i need this?

I need to run software on my pc , that looks at real time sensor data (live preferably)..

Any ideas of best options?

Thanks in advance.
I can be emailed direct for fast response on
vk2gib@gmail.com

Happy New Year

I think the Pantech WS2000 is a match for the HP2551 and its sensor array should be read by the GW1000 especially as its a wifi model.

Assuming you are using a more modern station then you can get the Ecowitt GW1000 from Amazon Auz or direct from Ecowitt.com
Just make sure that you get the correct frequency  - probably 433Mhz in Auz

This will then upload your data to Ecowitt,net where you can graph it etc or just watch realtime on your phone or via 1 minute updates on the Internet.
The manual for the GW1000 is here if you want to read about prior to purchase.
http://www.ecowitt.com/upfile/201910/GW1000%20Manual.pdf

The cost is only about 50USD or less
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline vk2gib

• Pantech - GW1000- Weather Display
    • QRZ.com
Thanks for the info folks.

I got my GW1000 in the mail , and it set up seemlessly with my Pantech using the WSVIEW app.
I could see my live data streaming through each time my station reported new data.
In WS View it could still look at the wifi IP channel as well , connected to my wifi router.
This let me link to ecowitt, wunderground,weathercloud and WOW.
So I had the best of all worlds.

I use my WX data to turn an antenna array (to save it in varying wind variations - when not monitored on site).
My antenna is approx. 10m wide accross its lateral width, and worth a bit of dough!

This antenna is connected to a rotator motor that turns it 360 degrees , as the antenna is directionally pointed.
The antenna software is controlled by PST rotator software from Romania.
Within PST , there was always an input for Wunderground ID and clientraw.
Lately the free API data grab from WunderGround has ceased operation by WU admin.

So , i needed an option of clientraw data , to input into my software, otherwise my system was useless, with the potential of destruction.

This is where the GW 1000 comes into play.I took a punt.
I downloaded Weather Display to trial it...and after some playing around ,I got WeatherDisplay to create a clientraw.txt file locally on my c:/, without the use of ftp servers.
Incidentally , the gw1000 reported to weatherDisplay instantly , once the control panel looked at the GW1000 only as its input.

There was no need to select a station, just the GW1000!
The GW1000 claimed to grab data , but nothing mentioned about wind speed or direction (which was critical for me).
It actually grabbed all data that my PWS reported.

At the end of the day , i have a very simple , all in one WX display controlling everything i need to.
Hats off to the Weather Display guys (brian) for such an in-depth programme.
Wow- i have only skimmed the surface of this program.

Im operational! ...and my antenna loves the data. (updating every 3mins in my PSt Rotator control)
the clientraw is like a 15s update refresh.

Thanks to all here , and the information gathered from experience by you guys.
happy 2020.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Pantech
GW1000
Weather Display

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
nice :)

anything