Author Topic: I missed the chance at my own Dorothy from Twister  (Read 5876 times)

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
I missed the chance at my own Dorothy from Twister
« on: October 31, 2016, 07:56:47 PM »
 #-o #-o #-o #-o

Piece of 'Twister' Fame, Dorothy IV, to Be Auctioned on eBay
By Sean Breslin
Published Jun 27 2016 01:10 PM EDT
weather.com

Weather geeks, prepare to clear out your savings accounts. A piece of "Twister" fame is about to be auctioned off.

Dorothy IV, the device that was successfully picked up by an F5 tornado at the end of the 1996 ode to storm chasing, will be auctioned on eBay at a starting price of $2,000. The auction is scheduled to begin this Friday at 2 p.m. EDT.

The winning bidder will also receive a certificate of authenticity from Warner Bros. Studios so the winner can prove to his or her friends it's the Dorothy that flew at the end of the film, the auction's listing said.

The prop, which measures about 4 square feet, is still in very good condition, mostly because it wasn't actually sucked up by a tornado. Despite the fact that it was fitted with actual weather vanes and other meteorology equipment, the buyer will not be using it to chase tornadoes.

Meteorologists have their gripes about the inconsistencies in the movie, and there are several – remember how the chasers seemed to know what each tornado rated on the Fujita scale while it was in progress? But even though they take issue with some of the small details, "Twister" is still appointment viewing television for many weather forecasters each time it's shown.

If you're looking to buy the prop, keep in mind that a particular show on The Weather Channel might be making room in its basement and placing a bid soon.

Listing final $7000.00
http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/112014582484?roken=cUgayN

That would have looked awesome in my truck!!!! It's close to the 1995 version of the Twister truck. But mine has a full extended cab instead of the short extended cab. And I think the original was a 2500 with a full box
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 08:02:06 PM by chief-david »

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Re: I missed the chance at my own Dorothy from Twister
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 08:21:07 PM »
You also don't have Helen Hunt in the front seat. :grin:
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 08:28:58 PM »
Or Jami Gertz in the back... ;)

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 08:31:44 PM »
My wife is blonde, but would have to be in heels.

comedian-A tornado can take a 15 penny nail out of a bridge, but can't take the top off of Helen Hunt.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.