Author Topic: WeatherUnderground  (Read 1680 times)

Offline JRHill

WeatherUnderground
« on: April 30, 2021, 06:59:42 PM »
Finally I have my station on line again. Its been years.

So I have a page on WeatherLink and WeatherUndergound pulls the data. I actually really like the WeatherUndergound page format to my laptop. But oh, my gosh, load the page from the cell phone and it's almost unreadable for all the advertisements. I have it figured out - I have an Ad blocker on the laptop. From the laptop the format is pleasant. From the phone or another device the WeatherUnderground is virtually unreadable for all the feces.

Well, everyone has to make a living. So if I want to share the weather at my humble home to family, neighbors, etc. without frustrating them are there any suggestions?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 07:03:16 PM by JRHill »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: WeatherUnderground
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 07:11:09 PM »
So if I want to share the weather at my humble home to family, neighbors, etc. without frustrating them are there any suggestions?
Yes, dump WU. The ONLY thing AFAIC that WU brings to the table is "rapid flash"...I guess that what it's still called. Problem so often with WU is does it even work at the moment and if "is", is the data reliable. Join CWOP at least and send your stuff elsewhere. I quit WU 5-ish years ago because they were becoming useless to me.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 08:03:23 PM »
Called Rapid Fire it was a Flash gadget at one time.

Yes. It is basically the only thing it is good for.

Offline JRHill

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 08:08:49 PM »
CC2274: Thank you for the fast response. If seemed I just submitted the thread and you answered. But the supper plate hit the table. One thing I've learned is that when the plate hits the table, if one is wise, they will be there immediately or pay the price. It helps that she is better than good with the food stuff.

Thanks for the info/tip. I'll look back into CWOP.

Many thanks,
JRH

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 08:21:44 PM »
Called Rapid Fire it was a Flash gadget at one time.

Yes. It is basically the only thing it is good for.
Yes..Rapid Fire. Thanks for the correction. I surely wish someone would implement that feature on a reliable server. It's was sweet to see ones wind data update online every 3 seconds or so.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 08:23:23 PM »
Thanks for the info/tip. I'll look back into CWOP.
http://wxqa.com/

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 08:24:41 AM »
You didn't mention it but are you loading the WU page from their site or the app. Obviously the app is much better for phone viewing.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline JRHill

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 11:37:15 AM »
For myself I load it from a link to my laptop. The laptop has ad blocking and anti tracking. I have no need to load it from the phone but I have sent the WU link to several folks and I suspect they all use phones. A few days ago I checked the site from my phone to observe the format and was floored at the junk on the page.

Although the Pro2 is right above on a shelf I prefer the dashboard on the laptop as I can see everything at a glance.

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2021, 02:55:18 PM »
Since I upload to WU, they gave me a Login and Password.
When I log in with any device, PC or phone, there are no ads whatsoever.
Doesn't it work that way for you guys too?
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless) | Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 | Meteobridge Pro
WeatherLink | WundergroundCWOPAWEKASWindy

Offline JRHill

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2021, 03:13:31 PM »

Haven't done that. I did not give login info out to the general area. I trust them but not necessarily who they might fwd the info too innocently. I just don't do those practices in this day and time.

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2021, 03:33:51 PM »

Haven't done that. I did not give login info out to the general area. I trust them but not necessarily who they might fwd the info too innocently. I just don't do those practices in this day and time.

If you have a separate login and password for absolutely everything you use, what on earth can you possibly be giving them that they can use against you in any possible way?
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless) | Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 | Meteobridge Pro

Offline JRHill

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2021, 05:30:58 PM »
OK, I get your point. For someone visiting a site I thought that's what cookies did.

If I went to a friend's site but could access the content publicly I wouldn't want to create yet another login. But things have changed since Al and I invented the internet.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2021, 05:34:06 PM »
But things have changed since Al and I invented the internet.
:lol:

Offline sho23

• KN6DZN
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2021, 02:04:22 PM »

If you have a separate login and password for absolutely everything you use, what on earth can you possibly be giving them that they can use against you in any possible way?

Giving out your WU login credentials to neighbor/friends isn't that helpful. I agree that they'd have minimal damage potential to one own's identity, but they can accidentally change the station status, or delete it altogether.

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2021, 09:46:19 PM »

Giving out your WU login credentials to neighbor/friends isn't that helpful. I agree that they'd have minimal damage potential to one own's identity, but they can accidentally change the station status, or delete it altogether.

My comment was not meant to be a recommendation to give out login credentials to anyone else. I would never recommend for anyone to do that. Maybe I misunderstood the original post.

Offline JRHill

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2021, 02:30:20 PM »
So if I want to share the weather at my humble home to family, neighbors, etc. without frustrating them are there any suggestions?
Yes, dump WU. The ONLY thing AFAIC that WU brings to the table is "rapid flash"...I guess that what it's still called. Problem so often with WU is does it even work at the moment and if "is", is the data reliable. Join CWOP at least and send your stuff elsewhere. I quit WU 5-ish years ago because they were becoming useless to me.

OK, WU is gone. I have registered for QA and with NOAA. I'm still not sure what I have done. The WU upload established itself quickly for all ISS sensors. But for the change I've made when and where is there a link to my uploads? Not only that but is only selected data from the PRO2 displayed? Do they give a darn about solar and UV?

Mostly I wanted a year over year history that could be searched and compared. Do I only get this for upgrading WeatherLink? Forgive me for being dim but there seem to be overlapping systems and I am not finding my station. Maybe I need to wait longer.

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2021, 07:21:50 PM »
JR, I need to get up to speed on what you have and what you are doing. Do you have the Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 like in the link below?

https://www.davisinstruments.com/weatherlinklive/

Offline JRHill

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2021, 11:41:53 AM »
I've had the PRO2 for over ten years. After a few years I bought the USB adapter and it came with WeatherLink on a CD. The local install of WeatherLink uploaded the data. I don't recall that there was a subscription tier back then. I don't recall the setup in detail but the uploaded data for my site showed up on many WX websites. After a few years I stopped uploading as the computer kept hanging up. I was travelling a lot and would come home to a hung system and have to do a hard reboot to restart it again. I recall that many people had the same problem with WeatherLink back then.

Now I've set it back up and have the basic tier of WeatherLink installed. But if I try to look up my data it is not showing up on National Weather Service or anywhere else that I can find.

I also recently installed the UV and solar radiation sensors on the ISS. As time goes on I was hoping I could review history in detail from a day in the past. I'm a bit stumped on how to retrieve this data.

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2021, 12:57:22 PM »
 The local install of WeatherLink uploaded the data. I don't recall that there was a subscription tier back then. I don't recall the setup in detail but the uploaded data for my site showed up on many WX websites.

If you have your disk from the local install of WeatherLink, all of your data is in the *.wlk files - 1 file for each month. There are several utilities that will extract the data from the wlk files into csv files.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2021, 01:10:20 PM »
I still periodically run USB logger/Weatherlink PC on an old Windows 8 and that works fine and saves the data in the .wlk files and viewable in Weatherlink PC and also do updates to a website.  Before I started to use a third party program - Cumulus - there was a Weather Underground utility that allowed updates from WL PC.  I believe the IPlogger also had the uploads for WU and CWOP.

I think that if you want to upload data from just Weatherlink PC on your computer you will need to set up Weatherlink Network and also tick Network Upload in Weatherlink Setup.  Then you can view it at weatherlink.com and also the Weatherlink App.  A free weatherlink.com account will let you see your current data, and also to do uploads to WU, CWOP and Globe.

Of course there are other ways to see and share your data.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline JRHill

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2021, 01:45:30 PM »
 The local install of WeatherLink uploaded the data. I don't recall that there was a subscription tier back then. I don't recall the setup in detail but the uploaded data for my site showed up on many WX websites.

If you have your disk from the local install of WeatherLink, all of your data is in the *.wlk files - 1 file for each month. There are several utilities that will extract the data from the wlk files into csv files.

I had a heck of a time trying to find a working link to d/l a current version of WeatherLink (6.0.5). Seems everything always looped back to a place to BUY ($) the upper subscription tier. A layman Wx guy in HI sent me a .ZIP of his install disk and it worked easily. I am a cheap skate. I have no desire for $4/mo subscription. And I'm not sure the subscription upper tier would get me where I want to be for data distribution and retrieval/reports.

As I understand it WeatherLink is retired? If this is true then will some future Windows update be an unresolvable problem or supported at all? When I started uploading data Windows XP was in its heyday. I had an older Thinkpad that was a fresh reinstall. No extra apps or crud - just the OS, necessary drivers and WeatherLink. Gosh it was flakey. When I took the site down previously I got an email from a NOAA engineer in Pendleton, OR who offered to come to my location and install and configure Cumulus. I didn't take him up on the offer. But I would now (wink).

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2021, 01:59:10 PM »
I just got download of WeatherLink (6.0.5) from WL website once I had set up an account. I do not have any pay service there. Only current data is available but I am just using it for prototype anyway.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2021, 02:32:53 PM »
Instructions for downloading weatherlink.com are here:

https://www.manula.com/manuals/pws/davis-kb/1/en/topic/download-weatherlink-program

It's amongst the most popular pages on the knowledgebase. (Station low battery warnings often tops the list, followed by supercap faults.)
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

anything