Author Topic: Atlas with limited wireless range  (Read 1371 times)

Offline lwman

Atlas with limited wireless range
« on: December 04, 2018, 07:13:55 PM »
I received an Atlas to replace my 5 in 1 and installed it at the same location. The Access could not locate the Atlas at that location. The display was showing maximum signal and is actually further away than the Access. I eventually moved the Atlas closer to my house and the Access then located it. I was hoping that the Atlas would be of better quality than the 5 in 1. I believe the data from the Atlas would be less compromised if it could be placed away from any buildings. Unfortunately it obviously has much less range than the 5 in 1 and has to be closer to the house. It would seem that the Access is a factor also since the display shows a maximum signal even at the further location when the Access got no signal.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Atlas with limited wireless range
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 07:23:17 PM »
Atlas stated range is the same as the 5n1.  Most have found effective range to actually be better than the 5n1.

The display does not show you true signal strength like the Access, so you can’t compare the bars.

If you think your Atlas has a weak signal, contact support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 07:30:46 PM »
You need to move around your Access to find a good signal. Turn it around in slight amounts such as 20 degrees at a time and refresh the splash page. You pull this up through your router assigned address... I have my beta Atlas a long ways out from my house and the Access is inside 3 walls deep.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 11:13:19 PM »
Can't say everyone will have this result, but this is what I got for signal from a 5n1 and Atlas sensor the same distance from the receiver.

Note that the Atlas signal appears "hotter" in the waterfall.

Both of the sensors registered a signal level "4" on the Access splash page.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 11:20:03 PM by nincehelser »

Offline Victoria

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 01:57:21 PM »
The Atlas will actually generally have a stronger signal strength than the 5n1, with an even transmission pattern (so the direction it's facing shouldn't matter). One idea is that the mounting setup may be causing a problem, that could impact the Atlas more due to slight differences in the location of the transmitter versus the 5n1. Could you explain or take a picture of the outdoor mounting setup?

There's a few other things that could be related if that doesn't show any clues, but if your Atlas sincerely has a weak transmitter, we'd take care of it for you.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 04:35:25 PM »
Those of you adding an Atlas to an existing Access, did it find the signal OK, or did it not show up? Mine is not showing up... Nothing on the splash page. Should I remove the Access and try adding it again? My display is working normally, so I know the Atlas is broadcasting.

Offline lwman

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 06:59:53 PM »
I connected my Access to the Atlas while the Atlas was in the house. I then placed the Atlas at the same location as my 5 in 1 had been and was unable to connect it. I had to then move the Access across the house about 40 feet closer to the Atlas and then was able to connect. The distance is now about 100' and it has not lost the connection. From my experience, the Atlas had a shorter range than the 5 in 1.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 07:11:44 PM »
Tomorrow I will take down the Atlas from the pole and reboot it. It is in the same place as my Beta model but there is no signal. The display works fine. I've found the Access can be sensitive to issues in the transmissions.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 09:45:11 AM »
Morning guys,

My Atlas is working online now. KNCJACKS23 - Overnight, the Access found the signal. This morning it was 0. I had to fiddle with moving the access around and reflashing the page many times before I went from 0 to a solid "4". The hardware is now online and the wind speed is much better than the beta model. However, I am getting lightning strikes, so I will need to go out and take down the station and see why... I'm not sure when I will be doing that yet, but will make an update to what is going on... I know the fan is on because the sun is out today. Any tips on how to fix the wires is welcome!