Author Topic: Temperature just spiked to 137*  (Read 2411 times)

Offline fatrusty

Temperature just spiked to 137*
« on: January 29, 2015, 01:40:34 PM »
I think I may have a problem here. I just accessed MBW while I was at work and temperature sensor just spiked up to 137* and was hovering at 77*. an hour later it is down to 44*   Weather is overcast and about 44*  Humidity 96% and 0 wind. Ideas???
My history shows no other anomalies.
I have had the system up for 9 months and no problems.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Temperature just spiked to 137*
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 06:24:52 PM »
I think I may have a problem here. I just accessed MBW while I was at work and temperature sensor just spiked up to 137* and was hovering at 77*. an hour later it is down to 44*   Weather is overcast and about 44*  Humidity 96% and 0 wind. Ideas???
My history shows no other anomalies.
I have had the system up for 9 months and no problems.

If you are reporting through a USB-connected 02032c console, it could be due to potential problems in that unit, but I don't know if it's been around for 9 months.  If so, I'd report it to Acurite's support ASAP.

Offline fatrusty

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 12:56:05 PM »
Well it seems to be doing it again. I think I will have to clean it up this weekend and see what I find.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 11:44:59 PM »
That straight-line doesn't look very realistic, either.  Has it been doing that very long?

If there appears to be no physical damage, try removing the batteries from the 5n1 for about an hour as a "reset".  Perhaps that will clear it if it's just some strange glitch in the electronics.  If not, you should contact Acurite for a warranty replacement.

Offline fatrusty

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 03:23:04 PM »
This just started on 1/29/15. I changed the batteries, let it sit for 60 minutes and it continues to do the same. Now it is staying at 50* I did send a e-mail to Acurite on Monday with no response.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 03:28:21 PM »
This just started on 1/29/15. I changed the batteries, let it sit for 60 minutes and it continues to do the same. Now it is staying at 50* I did send a e-mail to Acurite on Monday with no response.

That definitely looks like a sensor fault of some sort.

I'd make sure the device is registered with Acurite and then call them.  That seems to get their attention quicker than email.

Offline fatrusty

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 03:10:02 PM »
UPDATE: I did contact AcuRite by e-mail and then a followup by phone.  I am sending the unit back for evaluation. Kevin at AcuRite was very helpful and I hope to have the outside temperature unit working soon! Thanks for the help!

Currently reading 158*  :shock:

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 04:14:19 PM »
UPDATE: I did contact AcuRite by e-mail and then a followup by phone.  I am sending the unit back for evaluation. Kevin at AcuRite was very helpful and I hope to have the outside temperature unit working soon! Thanks for the help!

Currently reading 158*  :shock:

Is this the two solar cell model or just the one? I seemed to notice a difference in the sensor chip inside the 2 cell model vs my old 1 cell.

Offline fatrusty

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 11:28:40 AM »
Mine is the single solar cell..

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 07:47:22 PM »
Mine is the single solar cell..

Mine was over 2 yrs old when the thermometer started getting stuck and then failed. I found the temp sensor chip leads to a set of wires that then lead to the main board had turned black, a sign of moisture damage. I don't think my unit had the "new coating" that I have heard about that is supposed to protect the chip from the elements. I hope the new dual panel chip is installed to last and I don't think it is at the very bottom of the unit where the vent holes are like my old one.

Offline MRE

• MRE Software & FairhopeWeather.com
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 09:40:48 AM »
See Hack #2 on this page: http://www.mresoftware.com/acurite_mod.htm

If someone else does this mod on an old "failing sensor" I would be interested in the result.  So far my station is working flawlessly after reinsulating the board(s).

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 04:48:15 PM »
Great information EW, thanks for sharing. I may try it this spring.

Offline fatrusty

Re: Temperature just spiked to 137* sytem replaced under warranty!
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 09:08:10 PM »
I shipped of my 5 in 1 to Chaney and they immediately sent me a replacement. I just finished hooking it up and all is well. I notified them just 1 day short of the year warranty expiration. Thanks for the information and thanks to AcuRite for the prompt replacement.  Unfortunately I missed the wind storm by 1 day...